What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
Unfortunately this is where professional football has taken us and player managers and contracts. No wonder supporters lose heart and think players dont put in each every week
These are players commenting trying to get a deal with us. It is like they have more gears in them and use when they need to
Sh7575ts me to tears. Why do they need incentive to play good footy. ?

JDB quote: “Initially it (frustrated me) when I didn’t feel like I was getting the same interest in the club wanting me here but at the same time it was good kick up the bum that you’ve got to play good footy.”

Birdy quote “I still have an option to stay,” Bird said. “I need to start playing good footy if I want a good contract. “I don’t want to stay for that contract, I want to earn to get an extended contract. I need to pull my finger out and play a bit better and earn a longer contract.
“I haven’t spoken to the club yet. It’ll depend on how I play the next few weeks.” ...

Unfortunately this is where professional football has taken us and player managers and contracts. No wonder supporters lose heart and think players dont put in each every week
These are players commenting trying to get a deal with us. It is like they have more gears in them and use when they need to

JDB quote: “Initially it (frustrated me) when I didn’t feel like I was getting the same interest in the club wanting me here but at the same time it was good kick up the bum that you’ve got to play good footy.”

Birdy quote “I still have an option to stay,” Bird said. “I need to start playing good footy if I want a good contract. “I don’t want to stay for that contract, I want to earn to get an extended contract. I need to pull my finger out and play a bit better and earn a longer contract.
“I haven’t spoken to the club yet. It’ll depend on how I play the next few weeks.” ...
Birdy hasn’t done anything to suggest he is worthy of a better contract

JDB has a short memory and while he is probably our best defender, we need to improve the professionalism and culture of the club.

In Flanno we trust.

The Word

Juniors

I hear you BLM, as fans it is frustrating. However I think this is just a bit of common sense from them. Whatever job you do, the better you perform, the better contract / salary you should expect.

With JDB I think it's a simple matter of wanting a 2 year extension instead of 1 year, at his age he's just trying to secure the end of his career and maximise his job security, it'll play out one way or the other.

Most of what Bird said was acknowledging he hasn't been playing well and if he wants a decent deal he needs to do better. The reality is I think he knows the club won't be offering an extension, so he plays for a lower wage or leaves, the choice is his.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I hear you BLM, as fans it is frustrating. However I think this is just a bit of common sense from them. Whatever job you do, the better you perform, the better contract / salary you should expect.

With JDB I think it's a simple matter of wanting a 2 year extension instead of 1 year, at his age he's just trying to secure the end of his career and maximise his job security, it'll play out one way or the other.

Most of what Bird said was acknowledging he hasn't been playing well and if he wants a decent deal he needs to do better. The reality is I think he knows the club won't be offering an extension, so he plays for a lower wage or leaves, the choice is his.
I know they are fronting the media and saying the usual vitriol and we are not alone,
but it happens too often to be chance, players that just lift to another gear when off contract and searching for the same or higher money especially it gets played out in the media
It is like their PM saying after gauging interest (if any) "you need to put in here" if you want a new deal.
It is not for love of playing for a club, its a well paid short or long for some...job
Well see how JS continues now for the back half of the year. I am glad he is staying ATM

Draginzaaar

Bench

In stead of a 1 year contract where he would need to play well every week to get another.

Gardenia

Juniors
JDB is between a rock and a hard place. He wants to be a one club man but also needs to provide for his young family. Can understand BOD not wanting to offer him a multi year deal given his age. Jack you have a big decision to make. Personally I hope you take up the year by year option as we cant afford to lose you as arguably in career best form.
IMO cannot see what is so wrong with a year by year deal. You just have to back yourself that you will stay fit and healthy and play good footy.

Zero Tackle reports that we are in the hunt for Jeremy Marshall- KIng !

Jeremy M-K would be a brilliant purchase. He has so much upside and is exactly what we need. Dynamic runner, good controlled kicking and passing game. Shame he isn't available for next year though.

Hopefully the Talagi thing can be sorted out either way rather quickly. Now would be best, as we currently look like a happier club than the Eels.

As always, bracing for heavy disappointment.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Jeremy M-K would be a brilliant purchase. He has so much upside and is exactly what we need. Dynamic runner, good controlled kicking and passing game. Shame he isn't available for next year though.

Hopefully the Talagi thing can be sorted out either way rather quickly. Now would be best, as we currently look like a happier club than the Eels.

As always, bracing for heavy disappointment.
I like him, good chance to the rabbits though I imagine. Wayne has plenty of time to talk to him and Cook is fighting Father Time….

Latest posts