What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Carlton

Juniors
In the spirit of fairness....Dufty does have some positives...just look at these highlights.

I dont disagree that he has some things in his favour, my point is that at fullback we need a complete footballer, more than in any other position.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Why on earth would Dragons want to sign Norman?
They have 1.6.7.9 covered.
What they need is a 2.3.4.5
If the dragons could land a top line winger and centre they would be up there with the top 4 clubs. If they roll out guys like Lafai, Pereria, Mann then forget about it.
Maybe Mary is looking for a game managing halfback. That is the only reason I could think of.

getsmarty

Immortal
I dont disagree that he has some things in his favour, my point is that at fullback we need a complete footballer, more than in any other position.

Not many fullbacks are "Complete Footballers" in my opinion...just take a look at Dugan was strong in defence...polar opposite of dufty..etc Dufty is strong in attack..yet Dugan has a decade experience on dufty. .same can be said for many other fullbacks..the difference being dufty has only had his 1st full season...so he has time on his side. Let's hope he can improve his game even further....With good coaching that can happen...I guess that's our problem.

TruSaint

Referee
Healthy debate, with good points pro and con re Matt.

2019 will determine whether or not he makes it as a solid first grade fullback, a lot will be based on what they do with him at training, and behind the scenes to improve his game reading, defence, attacking the ball, etc.

Those reels show what the kid can do in open space and thanks @getsmarty , but again, i recall too many instances where his lack of desire to attack a bomb ( a min requirement), and his general defensive reads and tackles were sub-par.

Fix those, and we may have a winner.

getsmarty

Immortal
Healthy debate, with good points pro and con re Matt.

2019 will determine whether or not he makes it as a solid first grade fullback, a lot will be based on what they do with him at training, and behind the scenes to improve his game reading, defence, attacking the ball, etc.

Those reels show what the kid can do in open space and thanks @getsmarty , but again, i recall too many instances where his lack of desire to attack a bomb ( a min requirement), and his general defensive reads and tackles were sub-par.

Fix those, and we may have a winner.

Agree Trusaint...just trying to point out that Matt does have positives as you stated...hopefully without threading on any toes...

TruSaint

Referee
Agree Trusaint...just trying to point out that Matt does have positives as you stated...hopefully without threading on any toes...

all good mate.

I may have opinions on our players and sometimes be critical, but I never rubbish any one in the Red V.
There is a difference..

always want the best, but will voice my concerns as we all do.

getsmarty

Immortal
all good mate.

I may have opinions on our players and sometimes be critical, but I never rubbish any one in the Red V.
There is a difference..

always want the best, but will voice my concerns as we all do.

Agree...which is fair enough. Without wanting to hammer the same point, my biggest fear is our coaching staff and their inability to progress players in terms of their inabilities eg Aitken; Dufty under the high ball etc

Frank Facer

First Grade
Ben Hunt is our halfback, Cam McInnes is our hooker. That aint gonna change
If we buy Norman, that may change. Hunt has even been speaking of permanent move to hooker. I think it would be less likely to move our captain Widdop to fullback at this stage of his career. There is no way I would want Norman at fullback.

TruSaint

Referee
If we buy Norman, that may change. Hunt has even been speaking of permanent move to hooker. I think it would be less likely to move our captain Widdop to fullback at this stage of his career. There is no way I would want Norman at fullback.

That rumour was based on an article on nrl.com re Hunts position in the Aussie squad...

Quote..

"[Mal] has talked to me about it. I've accepted it's a pretty good position for me and if he wants me to play that position I'm going to do the best job I can for him. As a utility, you don't really know what position you're going to play but when he calls me up I'll be ready to go."

and.......

"But at the end of the day, I'd still like to play halfback"..

Posted under the " Hunt- what are you " thread.

Hunt will play 7...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I really have no idea where this Norman rumour came from and in particular him linking with the Dragons.

In any case Hunt will play 7 there is no debate about that.

Dufty will play fullback, at least until the end of 2019.

Lomax, if, and he should, will play centre or wing.

McInness and Robson will be the hookers.

AFB, now that Hasler is in the mix for Manly coach, will probably stay there.

Millward stated we are looking for a back, whilst one is not suitable now (code for we are in talks) we are looking for the right player. I'm guessing this is one of Oates, Holmes or Hayne. and preferably in that order.

ouryears

Bench
That rumour was based on an article on nrl.com re Hunts position in the Aussie squad...

Quote.

"[Mal] has talked to me about it. I've accepted it's a pretty good position for me and if he wants me to play that position I'm going to do the best job I can for him. As a utility, you don't really know what position you're going to play but when he calls me up I'll be ready to go."

and.......

Hunt will play 7...
If....if he is good enough to hold down the position. May very well not be. Time, not us, shall tell

TruSaint

Referee
If....if he is good enough to hold down the position. May very well not be. Time, not us, shall tell

I said he will play 7.

Its his to lose.

Same could be said of a few others. Hunt was bought as Millward said " as a halfback "

This debate about 9 or 7 has dragged on due to SOO.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Quote..

and.......

Hunt will play 7...
You forgot to mention the part about his wife talking about him playing fullback too or was that in another article?

I will also add that Hunt probably has clauses in his contract, that he gets more pay from us if he is playing origin and Australia and to that the payments received from the NRL for playing origin and tests matches. Hunt may think he is a better chance of playing origin at hooker than halfback. So that may be a reason that Hunt and his wife like the idea of a permanent switch to hooker. Maybe he doesn't want a permanent switch to hooker.