1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

The Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by John moz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

J Johns.

"If you had 13 Cameron McInnes' in your side every week, you'd never get beat," Johns said.

"That's the sort of player he is. And the best thing, he doesn't jump up and down and say, 'I don't want to play lock, get my manager I wanna get out'. He takes his medicine, there's a lesson there."

link above.

redv13, Dragonsamy and SBD82 like this.
  2. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I can’t call you cold hearted..

But I can call you Betty..

And Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al.

SBD82 likes this.
  3. muzby

Call me Al.

SBD82 likes this.
  4. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

I agree 100% but I want to here it from Ben not some bloke writing a article.

5. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

I’m in the minority too Tru.
    McInnes is our best 9 who can fill in at 13,simple as that.
    Would like to see him run more & play heads up instead of the structured crap he’s been saddled with since signing with us.
    As for Hunt I know I keep harping on about it but I’d really love to see him at 6 with his running game. And quite frankly he offers way more than Norman.

Mjab, St Tangles, Gippsy and 5 others like this.
  6. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

The 4 man selection committee needs to bite the bullet and do just that buddy - dropped Norman ( a damn pity that we cannot also lessen his pay whilst not in the top 17 but we cannot have everything ) then put Benny in his correct position as you have said - 5/8 .

I believe that with Clunes he would form a more a formidable partnership , I know that I have said this before however I just enjoy watching young Clunes , great kicking game and has some really sharp passing , together with Hunt our attacking prowess would increase significantly.

Odd how we the humble supporter can understand this , but not those who are responsible for team selections ?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  7. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

Hunt doesn't strike me at all as the type to kick and scream about that. He was dropped to reserves by Wayne at one point and made multiple quotes to media that he was fine with it and having to earn his spot

8. muzby

I agree with you..

But do we know who’s on the 4 man panel?

Or is it actually a 3 man panel?

It’s Machiavellian...

9. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Agree.
    If he wasn’t a team player as well as being a sook I couldn’t imagine he’d be getting picked in any of the rep games.

10. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

No I am not sure , I believe it is 4 - Mary , Dean Young , Flanagan and another chap ( not a coach ) .

As to the Machiavellian element when actually selecting the players I suppose anyone of the 4 could have that quality , but in reality I could only see Mary thinking in those terms .

11. redv13

redv13 Juniors

Cmon Stanley you know who the 4th member of the panel is, after this afternoons discussion. Don’t play dumb you silly orange man. You can tell Gareth

Dragonsamy and Gareth67 like this.
  12. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

For a ‘horrible moment there I thought that it was I who was dumb buddy .

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  13. redv13

redv13 Juniors

Your all good Gareth, it is 4 but Mr Stanley the steeler doesn’t like looking foolish and telling you that your right

Dragonsamy and Gareth67 like this.
  14. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

I don’t necessarily think he is the type. More a general comment on what should happen to players with shitty attitudes.

I think he probably suffers from body language that suggests negativity even though that’s not what’s happening. Which then leads to speculation. The first game that he played off the bench for us I thought he looked disheartened and disinterested. But he always has a bit of that look about him.

15. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

Hunt has all the skills but mental toughness is what his problem seems to be. Very much a confidence player . Play him at 6 put McInnes were he belongs.

16. Gold_Coast Dragon

Gold_Coast Dragon Juniors

Put Hunt at 6 and he will play how he did in 7, can't help himself. His poor decision making and lack of communication kills us.

17. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

I just think both Hunt and McInnes have worked up the fitness to play 80 in their new positions. Neither have ever played their positions for a full 80 for consecutive weeks it’s always been one off games here or there in Hunts case at least. I feel for McInnes it’s a hell of a workload. Hopefully he can make a real impact starting there.

Gareth67 and Dragonsamy like this.
  18. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

Especially for the coin he’s on. If he’s ever to go far in rugby league playing 9 is his only option. He will never win an origin series or guide a team to a gf at 7. At 9 he could be in the top 2-3 in the game as Smith retires. He needs to embrace it.

19. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

I agree and whilst McInnes goes well at 13 and tackles him self to a standstill he needs to stop being also used as a hit up man in attack
    they need some more work from their backsi and some of their other forwards to take these big hit ups early on in a set
    not let cam try to get them on the front foot just because he’s 13
    Cam would be better utilised in attack to be put in to holes or find holes cause he has got some speed over the first 25 or so snd believe it or not step
    Over to the coach now but of course McNumb devising a game plans to best suit single player strengths in any squad....no chance
    Friz another case in point
    And how long until he was told did it take to put Tariq where he needed to be
    Duffy EA Zac the list goes on

20. muzby

Oh goody..

I seem to have attracted another follower..

I really should start selling merchandise..

redv13 likes this.