What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

jak

Bench
And according to FoxSports all for the princely sum of $150,000 dollars !

Surely that colossal amount must shatter Uncle Nick’s piggy bank in a thousand little pieces ? ? :moneybag:
hate to disagree with you gareth but i'm sure you will find it's $150,00 dollars.

TruSaint

Referee
Scepticism is fine, but there's a time to acknowledge that they get things done.
No evidence whatsoever have I seen that they rort the system. Innuendo a plenty.

With the absence of any evidence suggesting a rort, then we need to face the facts that over the past decade the Chooks, a team with such a small following, have built a culture of winning and will have a crack at 3rd straight title.

From Politis, to facilities to coach, they have become a major force. Players will go there. Some for money, some for titles, some for lifestyle.

If they are " stretching the rules" then good on them. If they are in breach of the cap etc, then someone would have leaked it by now.

We are so far behind these guys and teams like Melbourne in all aspects.

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench
Drags are all dollars and no sense. We will lose two origin players and sign no one and still somehow be nearly over the cap...

While the nrl helps the roosters with sbw.
Not to mention the rabbits with Jo suuali. (sic) Vlandys looking to bend the rules for a top club. Shock.

Worse even is we never develop anyone the nrl is willing to bend for.

Dragon David

First Grade
Are we actually in the market for anyone

Our roster will actually weaken in 2021 and at this rate we ain’t gonna improve

Marquee players prefer to join clubs like the Bulldogs (Cotric for one), Titans (Fifita for one), Roosters (SBW for one). Other big names are/would be re-signing with their current club.

There are no rejects available for us to "try" and recruit and if there are any rejects they will reject us. So I'm thinking that we have to rely on our current squad and the Development guys as well to be our roster for 2021. Then of course we will have Mary to preside over them.

On the other hand we should be scouting out the guys from the Pacific Islands (big boppers in backs and forwards) but problem is the Covid 19 restrictions with quarantines and so forth makes it hard for the scouts I guess.

getsmarty

Immortal
Scepticism is fine, but there's a time to acknowledge that they get things done.
No evidence whatsoever have I seen that they rort the system. Innuendo a plenty.

With the absence of any evidence suggesting a rort, then we need to face the facts that over the past decade the Chooks, a team with such a small following, have built a culture of winning and will have a crack at 3rd straight title.

From Politis, to facilities to coach, they have become a major force. Players will go there. Some for money, some for titles, some for lifestyle.

If they are " stretching the rules" then good on them. If they are in breach of the cap etc, then someone would have leaked it by now.

jak

Bench

you have to look way past a players playing days.

Lethal25

Juniors

No question they run their clubs better, track record is well proven.

BUT...........

Looking at weekends paper and if you believe the figures published in the Rich 100 list then things start to get murky

Roosters have 8 players on that list totalling $5.81m. With the cap at $9.5 plus $200k for long service at best they have $3.89m to cover the remaining 22 players. Players not in the list include Friend, JMoz, BMoz, Tupou, Aubusson, Liu, Flanagan, Liu, Hall. None of those under $300k???

Am I missing something? Are those figures inclusive of registered third party deals?

In addition, surely nobody believes Keary is only at $700k and Tedesco at $1m

Dragon David

First Grade
We've been informed time and time again that the Roosters have got nothing to hide and that they are doing things above board with regard to the salary cap and third party agreements. They run their business successfully, etc. But you do wonder, time and time again, if this is really the case and we remain sceptical because of this success.

Over many years, a team winning the premiership tends to lose players, just like we did after 2010 and it takes a couple of years to re-build the team to a good standard(we are still trying to do this with no success really). The teams that seem to not have this problem are the Storm and lately the Roosters. "Good management" has been the key.

So what is deemed "good management"? Somehow, since the Storm lost points and lost premierships because of salary cap breaches they have been able to "do the right thing" and have subsequently won premierships by being able to get players who they can train to their ways and become much better players and the cost of these players initially was at the lower end of the scale. Several of these players have left over time and their replacements came in cheap as well and trained to their ways. That is the secret to their current success and they are likely to lose more players such as Addo-Carr etc but they somehow get cheap replacements to take their place.

I think that the Roosters after their expensive purchases of Tedesco, Cronk etc are doing similar things. Mitchell and Cronk leaving they get J Morris and K Flanagan cheap. These are clubs that players like to play for (the Morris brothers for example are not being paid much, they just want to play for a club that has continued success).

Gone are the days that the young ones are saying "I want to play for the Dragons". Those premierships we won on the trot are now ancient history. Kids of today only want to know of the clubs leading the way today not yesteryear.

The management at the Dragons need to have a very hard look at themselves and how they are running their business and make it a club that players fight to play for the Dragons. But we all know what the hindrances are and until positive changes are made from the top to the bottom, we will continue to struggle and us fans will remain frustrated and annoyed for years to come.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Only the NRL know what the contract salary is listed for a player. Lists like the top 100 are just a lot of guesswork.

Tedesco, for example, wasn't it stated at the time of his signing with the Roosters his salary was 400k? And take our own Ben Hunt, always listed at 1.2m but regularly stated much lower than that.

It's why i never pay much attention to stuff like this, because most times the author or authors use whatvthey should he paid not what actually they are.

Lethal25

Juniors
Only the NRL know what the contract salary is listed for a player. Lists like the top 100 are just a lot of guesswork.

Tedesco, for example, wasn't it stated at the time of his signing with the Roosters his salary was 400k? And take our own Ben Hunt, always listed at 1.2m but regularly stated much lower than that.

It's why i never pay much attention to stuff like this, because most times the author or authors use whatvthey should he paid not what actually they are.
You're probably right with this.

But let's say you're the NRL and the main newspaper associated with your game publishes a list of player salaries you know are false. Why would the NRL say absolutely nothing, would they not wish to protect the integrity of the game?

Maybe put an end to the disenchanted supporter moaning about how some clubs appear to be able to sign anyone they wish whilst others are treated like lepers.

There's no clear answer as players salaries are somewhat protected but when it's you and I paying via memberships, merchandising and subscriptions I feel there has to be more clarity provided.

So maybe that list is a croc but why is the NRL silent. Between Storm and Roosters one of them has appeared in 16 of the last 21 grand finals. This is in the time where football moved into a more professional era and players started earning decent coin. No surprise at how much success these clubs are able to achieve with everyone supposedly operating under the same salary cap, they simply don't operate under the same set of rules.

We are a shambolic, second rate organisation without a coherent business or on-field strategy. We are run by brylcremed club secretaries and a few big fish from the small Wollongong pond trying to compete with contemporary entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, media and entertainment. I don't know if Melbourne or Easts are cheating the cap or not. If they are, I wouldn't be whinge-ing about it, I'd be looking at the cretins running our show and wondering why they didn't have the ingenuity and creativity to do it too.

Meanwhile lets just keep a slot open for De Belin for when he gets out of prison in 2035, resign our reserve grade wingers for another two years and buy four new cheap reserve graders to replace Tyson Frizell.

Old Timer

Coach
We are a shambolic, second rate organisation without a coherent business or on-field strategy. We are run by brylcremed club secretaries and a few big fish from the small Wollongong pond trying to compete with contemporary entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, media and entertainment. I don't know if Melbourne or Easts are cheating the cap or not. If they are, I wouldn't be whinge-ing about it, I'd be looking at the cretins running our show and wondering why they didn't have the ingenuity and creativity to do it too.

Meanwhile lets just keep a slot open for De Belin for when he gets out of prison in 2035, resign our reserve grade wingers for another two years and buy four new cheap reserve graders to replace Tyson Frizell.
Any suggestion re the halves or just go with what we have but lock them in just case Newtown want them?

dannyt

Coach
We've been informed time and time again that the Roosters have got nothing to hide and that they are doing things above board with regard to the salary cap and third party agreements. They run their business successfully, etc. But you do wonder, time and time again, if this is really the case and we remain sceptical because of this success.

Over many years, a team winning the premiership tends to lose players, just like we did after 2010 and it takes a couple of years to re-build the team to a good standard(we are still trying to do this with no success really). The teams that seem to not have this problem are the Storm and lately the Roosters. "Good management" has been the key.

So what is deemed "good management"? Somehow, since the Storm lost points and lost premierships because of salary cap breaches they have been able to "do the right thing" and have subsequently won premierships by being able to get players who they can train to their ways and become much better players and the cost of these players initially was at the lower end of the scale. Several of these players have left over time and their replacements came in cheap as well and trained to their ways. That is the secret to their current success and they are likely to lose more players such as Addo-Carr etc but they somehow get cheap replacements to take their place.

I think that the Roosters after their expensive purchases of Tedesco, Cronk etc are doing similar things. Mitchell and Cronk leaving they get J Morris and K Flanagan cheap. These are clubs that players like to play for (the Morris brothers for example are not being paid much, they just want to play for a club that has continued success).

Gone are the days that the young ones are saying "I want to play for the Dragons". Those premierships we won on the trot are now ancient history. Kids of today only want to know of the clubs leading the way today not yesteryear.

The management at the Dragons need to have a very hard look at themselves and how they are running their business and make it a club that players fight to play for the Dragons. But we all know what the hindrances are and until positive changes are made from the top to the bottom, we will continue to struggle and us fans will remain frustrated and annoyed for years to come.
Fair points.
It takes a lot skill to manage endless brown bags...