What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BIG RIG

Juniors
I’ve heard some rumours over the last few days that don’t sound too good for St George

Christian Welch has declined our offer and will stay at Melbourne

Dragons have also rumoured to have missed out on Jack Bird ( Canterbury ) and Tom Johnston who is staying in England

From what I have heard there is little to no players on the market willing to go to St George

And it looks like Millward and co are accepting the fact that little change to the roster will occur in 2021

Dragons are more than likely gonna receive cash compensation for a Jason Saab release with Tigers firming

Anthony Griffin is forming as the man who will coach next yr but Club are still pushing for Wayne Bennett but more than likely won’t happen

Only real signing news i have heard is the re-signing of Jacob Host on a 2 yr deal set to be announced - all other players off contract will be released including Tristan Sailor who reportedly has no desire to stay at St George

End of story the club is in a shambles right now in regards to recruitment

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Big Rig
thanks for update
Glad Host is staying

Host, Fui, McInnes, TSims, Ford is a promising backrow
Mcinnes will only get better at 13 and making more metres per game and more tackles then JDB did at 13
Fui, Ford and Host have good upside with more NRL game time

now that JDB court date is Nov ie after the 2020 season and JDB is then out of contract and we dont know whether JDB can play for us in 2021?

would you let him go at the end of this season........and not wade into the waters with JDB Nov onwards as the case may move into appeal etc and or go through to early next year?

would you use the $600k to $700k pa (JDBs contract) for a different player if we can make that happen?

blacksafake

First Grade
I’ve heard some rumours over the last few days that don’t sound too good for St George

Christian Welch has declined our offer and will stay at Melbourne

Dragons have also rumoured to have missed out on Jack Bird ( Canterbury ) and Tom Johnston who is staying in England

From what I have heard there is little to no players on the market willing to go to St George

And it looks like Millward and co are accepting the fact that little change to the roster will occur in 2021

Dragons are more than likely gonna receive cash compensation for a Jason Saab release with Tigers firming

Anthony Griffin is forming as the man who will coach next yr but Club are still pushing for Wayne Bennett but more than likely won’t happen

Only real signing news i have heard is the re-signing of Jacob Host on a 2 yr deal set to be announced - all other players off contract will be released including Tristan Sailor who reportedly has no desire to stay at St George

End of story the club is in a shambles right now in regards to recruitment
Thanks Big Rig,
As for recruitment, Don’t worry we’ll get the usual journeymen, such as Tollman at the end of their careers looking for their last payday.

Craig93

Juniors
I don’t quite understand the move to the Tigers for Saab. I thought they had 2 very promising young players fighting out for that left edge already.

dragon thomo

Juniors
The only forwards that are worth persisting with are Hunt McInness Kerr.
I would not care if we lost any of the others.
I can't understand the rape on Ford either thou he did play better last night.
Host does not excite me.
Laurie has a good work rate but does not have any penetration.
And the other so called State of Origen players only play when it suits them.
Our wingers definitely have a go but are not quick enough.
In fairness to all of them our lateral game plan is pathetic.

Dragon David

First Grade
Big Rig
thanks for update
Glad Host is staying

Host, Fui, McInnes, TSims, Ford is a promising backrow
Mcinnes will only get better at 13 and making more metres per game and more tackles then JDB did at 13
Fui, Ford and Host have good upside with more NRL game time

now that JDB court date is Nov ie after the 2020 season and JDB is then out of contract and we dont know whether JDB can play for us in 2021?

would you let him go at the end of this season........and not wade into the waters with JDB Nov onwards as the case may move into appeal etc and or go through to early next year?

would you use the $600k to $700k pa (JDBs contract) for a different player if we can make that happen?
I honestly think that we should let JDB go when his contract is up this year. He has made life difficult for the Dragons on top of the dramas we have had with Mary, our underperforming players, no-one of importance wanting to join us.

What has happened to us? If the rumours are that Welch and Johnstone do not want to come to us what chance have we to get game breakers we need so desperately. Gee I was hoping we would get Welch at least. Can't we offer him say $600,000 per year to join us?

The new coach has indeed a tough assignment to get whatever we have left of the squad and any new ones. If it is Griffin, let's hope he can swing some speedy islanders and tough forwards to join us with his knowledge of when he and Young coached the Tongan team.

Dragon David

First Grade
I honestly think that we should let JDB go when his contract is up this year. He has made life difficult for the Dragons on top of the dramas we have had with Mary, our underperforming players, no-one of importance wanting to join us.

What has happened to us? If the rumours are that Welch and Johnstone do not want to come to us what chance have we to get game breakers we need so desperately. Gee I was hoping we would get Welch at least. Can't we offer him say $600,000 per year to join us?

The new coach has indeed a tough assignment to get whatever we have left of the squad and any new ones. If it is Griffin, let's hope he can swing some speedy islanders and tough forwards to join us with his knowledge of when he and Young coached the Tongan team.
We need several game breakers!!!!!

getsmarty

Immortal

Why would anyone want to come to us at the moment....we will have to offer massive overs....they need to announce the new coach sooner rather than later....we are in for a few hard years...anyone thinking removing Mcgregor would be a quick fix is wrong....so many issues at the club..in terms of how we compete with other clubs on all levels....I will leave it at.

P.S on a positive note, Mr Webb I.M.H.O is a good appointment....lets see if he can/is allowed to make the changes required...Still too many people who "Bleed Red and White " who are allegedly considered highly in the club when in reality you need to appoint whoever is the best candidate for the positions available.

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
We need an experienced coach if we are any chance of attracting half decent players. That means Griffin or Bennet IMO. Bennett is the best in the business and he's the one, if he decides to leave Souths early. We also need to recruit Cronk and Slater to coach Clune & Dufty.

Apart from that, only an experienced coach will get the best out of these young players who now look like getting a run next year in the absence of any new recruits.

Young needs to go to another club to learn from a professional outfit.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Griffin the front-runner for Dragons job
Michael Chammas
August 24, 2020 — 10.00pm
Leave a comment

Anthony Griffin is the early front-runner to replace Paul McGregor as St George Illawarra coach.

The club has placed the former Panthers mentor atop a shortlist presented to the board as the Dragons prepare to begin formal interviews.

2fd61a406340654097da7c9c9228c6495497dc04

Anthony Griffin is the early favourite for the vacant Dragons job.Credit:NRL Photos

Sources close to discussions have told the Herald that one of Griffin's strongest supporters is also one of his rivals for the job. Interim Dragons coach Dean Young has provided the club with a glowing endorsement of Griffin from their time together as assistants with the Tongan national team last year. The Dragons want Young to remain as an assistant if he misses out on the top job.

Also in Griffin's favour is his experience with halves Corey Norman and Ben Hunt, who he coached as juniors at the Broncos before again taking them under his wing as Brisbane's NRL coach from 2011 to 2014.

At a board meeting last Tuesday, Dragons directors prioritised defence, discipline and a history of being involved in successful cultures as the three main criteria they are looking for when they appoint McGregor's successor in the next month.

Other names in the mix include Newcastle Knights assistant David Furner and Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon. However, the Dragons are resigned to the fact that Fitzgibbon is unlikely to leave the Roosters before the end of next season such is his loyalty to chairman Nick Politis and coach Trent Robinson.

c29da0cbe7ceab4bce24b87b2566107eaa6701fa

Gould and Griffin during their time together at the Panthers.Credit:photo Supplied

If Fitzgibbon changes his mind, he will likely leapfrog Griffin to the top of the list. It's unlikely current assistant coach Shane Flanagan will remain at the Dragons if Griffin gets the job.

Griffin, who spent time at the Storm and Broncos before linking with Phil Gould and the Penrith Panthers in 2016, ticks all three boxes but has struggled to get a look-in since his acrimonious exit from the foot of the mountains on the eve of the 2018 finals series.

There's a belief at the Dragons that McGregor may have been too close to the players during his seven-year reign as coach, which could have created an environment of complacency.

Griffin is known as a strict disciplinarian and has had a high level of success in the NRL, with a 55.5 per cent win ratio from 173 games.

The 53-year-old led Brisbane (53.5 per cent win rate) to three finals series in four years before Wayne Bennett's second coming ended his tenure.

He was then head-hunted by Gould to replace Ivan Cleary in 2016, guiding the Panthers (58 per cent) to back-to-back finals appearances before he was shown the door on the eve of a third finals series while his team sat in fourth position.

Griffin debuted 16 players in his two-and-a-half-year stint at the Panthers, including Nathan Cleary, James Fisher-Harris, Dylan Edwards, Corey Harawira-Naera and Viliame Kikau. He also coached Dragons prop Trent Merrin during his time at Penrith.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/griffin-the-front-runner-for-dragons-job-20200824-p55otd.html
Id be quite happy with his appointment

Gareth67

First Grade
I am starting to get the horrible feeling that the status quo shall remain as it has been over the last 7 years as far as the board members are concerned . And that is “ as long as we have filled our compliment of 30 players then that will do us - we have done our job “

Well I did not sign up to watch yet another gut wrenching season of half hearted performances from a team that quite simply has lost its desire to put in a 100% effort.

The dickheads in the boardroom can stick their journeymen where the sun don’t shine .

With the money that they have with the recent departures the Dragons must be able to afford a couple of skillful backs and also a some tough nut forwards .

I sincerely hope that McGregors sacking is not the only adjustment that the Joint Venture feels is necessary in breathing new life into the Dragons ?

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I would if there was someone we could use his money on. Nobody wants to come, even for overs. If he does win his case and does want to stay, he’s the best forward on the market hands down and beggars can’t be choosers. I would more than understand though if both went their separate ways.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Just got some more rumours

Shane Flanagan may join the Sydney Roosters next year as an assistant coach

Dragons are desperate on offloading Corey Norman but if successful will not go onto the market to replace him - Sullivan likely option

Looks like Sydney Roosters are keen on bringing in Korbin Sims and potentially even Tariq - but I find that hard to believe

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Great news about Host resigning as he has been playing well. 0ur backline looked slow and indecisive. Lomax and Clune bombed tries
which cost us 8-12 points. I would give Ramsay and one of the Feagais a go at the expense of Pereira and Aitken. As Dino says we need "speed more speed".

Mjab

Juniors

Dragons are desperate on offloading Corey Norman but if successful will not go onto the market to replace him - Sullivan likely option

Looks like Sydney Roosters are keen on bringing in Korbin Sims and potentially even Tariq - but I find that hard to believe

if true
Good
Good and
Good
Except I think Tariq still can be good

they had better put Sullivan in NOW and see if he can play though
I have never seen him play and have doubts if he would be ready

surely they must then move Hunt back 7 as Clune is stopgap potential only and we would get smashed with Clune Sullivan inexperience

Dragonslayer

First Grade

1. Good
2. Absolutely needs to go as he is part of the problem. Bud is going to be very good half. Putting him in for the next 4 or 5 weeks would only benefit him and the club.
3. Roosters love having brothers from the Dragons. This may somewhat explain the Host resigning rumour.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Sullivan looks the goods but he’s quite small. I don’t think he and Clune will work as a combo. I would like to see a bigger more running focused 6 like Wighton outside him. Widdop would work but apparently we aren’t keen. Blake Green could be worth a 12 month stint. Perfect one would be Burton. In our squad I actually think Lomax would make a good 5/8 has a good passing game and is pretty powerful plus in trials I’ve seen him kick a bit. With some work he could be turned into a good player and the Feagai bro’s, Rava, Ramsey and Dufty could round out the backs.

Mjab

Juniors
Sullivan looks the goods but he’s quite small. I don’t think he and Clune will work as a combo. I would like to see a bigger more running focused 6 like Wighton outside him. Widdop would work but apparently we aren’t keen. Blake Green could be worth a 12 month stint. Perfect one would be Burton. In our squad I actually think Lomax would make a good 5/8 has a good passing game and is pretty powerful plus in trials I’ve seen him kick a bit. With some work he could be turned into a good player and the Feagai bro’s, Rava, Ramsey and Dufty could round out the backs.
Green dogs and burton likely same