What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
From memory Tonga.... and Billy Noke assisted with game plan translations
A couple of genius’ there
I remember Moose Mossop gave JF the MOM one week at Kogarah which meant he appeared on the show the next week
Lots of times after that I thought JF probably deserved the MOM but I think that 1 interview put a big “NA” on any further awards.

denis preston

First Grade
Dean Young needs experience under a different coach I suppose and whether it is at Saint or not doesn't matter. The fact he won't be listening to Mary and Price is a huge improvement and will make him a better coach. He is highly regarded so can't be too bad. Too terrible mentors since he became an assistant.

Personally I think Young should want to go to another club and learn from that and bring it back to the Saints if he desires to be Saints coach. If he can land a gig anywhere near Robbo or Bellamy or even Fittler for NSW he should jump at the chance. Young should also test himself in England as that is usually a great stepping stone.

Agree Slip to me it's a must for him to gain experience at another club. What does "highly regarded " mean ? The media has been using this term with Young. By whom ? It is obviously from within the club so how could anyone know after the shitsandwich coaching the past 9 years. Young was assistant coach and has to take responsibility for the crap over his tenure but some seem to think he DESERVES a walk up start. I dont understand. He really should show all that he is serious and leave for his career progression & experience sake. If he stays perhaps griffin can ascertain if he really should be highly regarded and have final say to his new contract when next up.

SGMax

Juniors
He really should show all that he is serious and leave for his career progression & experience sake. If he stays perhaps griffin can ascertain if he really should be highly regarded and have final say to his new contract when next up.

Would clubs like Storm, Roosters,or Canberra seriously consider Young as a coaching option? I don't think so, and all those saying what a good fit he would be at the Dragons would not recommend him for these other clubs either.

If Young was genuinely expecting to be considered for the Dragons job, he should now be applying for all future coaching vacancies.

Why does everyone assume that if Griffin can fix our problems and get our club to play semis in the next 2 or 3 years that we would get rid of him and put Young in.
We kept McGregor for 7 years with constant underperformance yet Young will just wait for it to get handed to him after we finally have a coach who improves the joint.

Young should accept part responsibility for the mess the club is in and leave to learn some valuable lessons outside of Daddy's bubble.

Mjab

Juniors
Agree Slip to me it's a must for him to gain experience at another club. What does "highly regarded " mean ? The media has been using this term with Young. By whom ? It is obviously from within the club so how could anyone know after the shitsandwich coaching the past 9 years. Young was assistant coach and has to take responsibility for the crap over his tenure but some seem to think he DESERVES a walk up start. I dont understand. He really should show all that he is serious and leave for his career progression & experience sake. If he stays perhaps griffin can ascertain if he really should be highly regarded and have final say to his new contract when next up.
Exactly , well said

Old Timer

Coach
Would clubs like Storm, Roosters,or Canberra seriously consider Young as a coaching option? I don't think so, and all those saying what a good fit he would be at the Dragons would not recommend him for these other clubs either.

If Young was genuinely expecting to be considered for the Dragons job, he should now be applying for all future coaching vacancies.

Why does everyone assume that if Griffin can fix our problems and get our club to play semis in the next 2 or 3 years that we would get rid of him and put Young in.
We kept McGregor for 7 years with constant underperformance yet Young will just wait for it to get handed to him after we finally have a coach who improves the joint.

Young should accept part responsibility for the mess the club is in and leave to learn some valuable lessons outside of Daddy's bubble.
Excellent summary.

If they aren't being sought after by alternate employers we are either paying too much or they are considered non viable options.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

The soft middle defence (and edge and everywhere) we witnessed against the Raiders has been a Dragons achilles heel since Bennett left. Remember the Bulldogs disaster at Kogarah when we were farewelling Nighty and the Storm putting 50+ on us. The " highly regarded" Young (certainly not by me) has been an assistant coach during most of this time and has to take much of the responsibility for this.

The Canberra defensive debacle simply confirmed that there has been massive neglect in defensive systems and technique in the previous seven years. I hope that Young goes because, if he didn't, I'd be showing him the door.

From the arm grabbing exhibited by Jackson Ford, I'm not sure that our so called young guns are going to solve the problem. It's now a recruitment problem. De Belin will make a difference- but if he doesn't return-as things stand-God help us.

Maddragon99

Juniors
NRL: Star fullback Matt Dufty is upset that assistant coach Shane Flanagan won’t be at the Dragons next season
SEPTEMBER 14, 2020 5:46PM
St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty is disappointed that “influential” assistant Shane Flanagan won’t be at the club next season under new coach Anthony Griffin.
Flanagan has been moved along with fellow assistant James Shepherd as Griffin brings in his own coaches.

This has flattened Dufty who credited Flanagan and Shepherd, who led Cronulla to the 2016 premiership, for teaching him how to become a reliable NRL player this season which he started as the club‘s third choice fullback.

“I worked really hard in the pre-season and a big part of that has been Flanno and Shep,” Dufty said.

“They have taught me a lot about how to become a first grader consistently and I think that was what I was lacking in the past.

“I’d have a few good games and then have a few games off. Flanno has coached a team to the premiership and he knew what qualities I had to work on.

“He has been a very influential part of my year and I’ll be a bit upset if he leaves.”

f9dc48602eb5fbdc7d6867cca9d253d6

Cody Ramsey of the Dragons celebrates after scoring his second try during the round 18 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium on September 12, 2020 in Wollongong, Australia. Photo: Matt King/Getty Images. Source: Getty Images
The Dragons can’t make the finals, but the rise of rookie winger Cody Ramsey is a bright spark for the struggling club.

Ramsey scored a double on debut against Canberra last weekend, including a try with his first touch.

Dufty has no doubts that the rising back, dubbed - The Flying Plumber – is destined for a long NRL career.

“He (Cody) proved that he can play at the NRL level and he is only going to grow from here,” he said.

“He has been working hard and he deserved it on the weekend.

“Cody has been training hard behind the scenes. After the Nines he got injured and it has been a long road back.

“He is one of those kids that works hard and takes advice on board and really listens to what the coaches and other senior players have to say.

“That is the sign of a player that really wants to improve and grow.

“He is only just beginning, so it is exciting to see where it goes.”

Dufty can see the writing on the wall. He’s out of contract next year, and with Ramsey & Schiller biting at his heels he’ll be squeezed out. If I were him I’d be talking to Hook about a move to the halves. Norman’s last year next year & Sullivan is unproven in first grade. Maybe he can find a home at 6

URL LINK: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...n/news-story/b60d9d66039a292c01cb060829840024

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddragon99

Juniors
NRL: Star fullback Matt Dufty is upset that assistant coach Shane Flanagan won’t be at the Dragons next season
SEPTEMBER 14, 2020 5:46PM
St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty is disappointed that “influential” assistant Shane Flanagan won’t be at the club next season under new coach Anthony Griffin.
Flanagan has been moved along with fellow assistant James Shepherd as Griffin brings in his own coaches.

This has flattened Dufty who credited Flanagan and Shepherd, who led Cronulla to the 2016 premiership, for teaching him how to become a reliable NRL player this season which he started as the club‘s third choice fullback.

“I worked really hard in the pre-season and a big part of that has been Flanno and Shep,” Dufty said.

“They have taught me a lot about how to become a first grader consistently and I think that was what I was lacking in the past.

“I’d have a few good games and then have a few games off. Flanno has coached a team to the premiership and he knew what qualities I had to work on.

“He has been a very influential part of my year and I’ll be a bit upset if he leaves.”

f9dc48602eb5fbdc7d6867cca9d253d6

Cody Ramsey of the Dragons celebrates after scoring his second try during the round 18 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium on September 12, 2020 in Wollongong, Australia. Photo: Matt King/Getty Images. Source: Getty Images
The Dragons can’t make the finals, but the rise of rookie winger Cody Ramsey is a bright spark for the struggling club.

Ramsey scored a double on debut against Canberra last weekend, including a try with his first touch.

Dufty has no doubts that the rising back, dubbed - The Flying Plumber – is destined for a long NRL career.

“He (Cody) proved that he can play at the NRL level and he is only going to grow from here,” he said.

“He has been working hard and he deserved it on the weekend.

“Cody has been training hard behind the scenes. After the Nines he got injured and it has been a long road back.

“He is one of those kids that works hard and takes advice on board and really listens to what the coaches and other senior players have to say.

“That is the sign of a player that really wants to improve and grow.

“He is only just beginning, so it is exciting to see where it goes.”

Dufty can see the writing on the wall. He’s out of contract next year, and with Ramsey & Schiller biting at his heels he’ll be squeezed out. If I were him I’d be talking to Hook about a move to the halves. Norman’s last year next year & Sullivan is unproven in first grade. Maybe he can find a home at 6

URL LINK: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...n/news-story/b60d9d66039a292c01cb060829840024

it’s unfortunate but we can’t win a Grand Final with Dufty at fullback.

Last edited by a moderator:

denis preston

First Grade
I said before that perhaps now is the time his manager really took advantage of the great press he got this year and negotiated a large paying contract in the super League. Duff has great skills but if we want to be a top 4 side we cant afford his lame efforts in defense ( and defense positioning ). As great as he may think Flanagan is , he has not been able to correct this essential part of a no 1's game. If defense is all about attitude what has our guru guy been doing this year with him FFS !!

SGMax

Juniors

I see this as Dufty keeping his bridges/options open.
Saying nice things about Flanno and Shep when they have come in and barely made a difference to our ladder position.....
Dufty can see he may need to make a move in the next year or two and Flanno by then could be his career lifeline.

Old Timer

Coach
Dufty commenting on coaches for the club lol.

We languish in the bottom of the table with an abysmal attack and paper thin defence and the guy who refuses to attack the ball in defence and dives into the ground in attack when confronted with opposition defence is spruiking how he has been helped by a coach who had only ever agreed to a 1 year deal and remonstrates how it will be sad to see him go.

There is part of Dufty's nature that appears to me to be of complete self interest.

When Mc Fookknuckle was being managed out Dufty came up with the "well it's not up to me" comment and he had a slight snigger on his face in doing so yet now he seems to think it is up to him to say something re Flanno.

I suggest someone get in Dufty's ear and tell him to keep away from the press gallery, stop arse kissing those he thinks have power and make sure he is the bloke that turns the lights out at training as he needs to be the last one to leave.

LINESPEED

Juniors

We languish in the bottom of the table with an abysmal attack and paper thin defence and the guy who refuses to attack the ball in defence and dives into the ground in attack when confronted with opposition defence is spruiking how he has been helped by a coach who had only ever agreed to a 1 year deal and remonstrates how it will be sad to see him go.

There is part of Dufty's nature that appears to me to be of complete self interest.

When Mc Fookknuckle was being managed out Dufty came up with the "well it's not up to me" comment and he had a slight snigger on his face in doing so yet now he seems to think it is up to him to say something re Flanno.

I suggest someone get in Dufty's ear and tell him to keep away from the press gallery, stop arse kissing those he thinks have power and make sure he is the bloke that turns the lights out at training as he needs to be the last one to leave.

Yeah OT
I won’t knock a fellow Penshurst lad too much,
but he’s feisty
& will come through
as he matures under a coach who’s not deflecting failure by sending the kids to front the media

The new whinge-not mantra?:

“Shut the fuc/k up (or leave),

get fit (or leave),

play for each other (or leave),

develop skill level (or leave)

bleed for the Club (or leave),

win at all costs (or leave)”

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Keep the whole team away from these bullshit stories. It’s just the media trying to fill in a week full of non event rubbish, and in context he probably may well have worded it differently. But why is a ‘on the way up, non cemented his position‘ fullback commenting on the decisions of the executive team. Should be trained to answer these things better by the Dragons management and until they do they should not be a go to player to comment.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Keep the whole team away from these bullshit stories. It’s just the media trying to fill in a week full of non event rubbish, and in context he probably may well have worded it differently. But why is a ‘on the way up, non cemented his position‘ fullback commenting on the decisions of the executive team. Should be trained to answer these things better by the Dragons management and until they do should not be the ‘go to’ players for comment.

Maddragon99

Juniors
McGuire linked to shock Cowboys exit; Dogs target Sharks playmaker: Transfer WhisperJosh McGuire runs the ball for the Cowboys
1d93613a2e5682d7063dbf70a87a89fc

Josh McGuire has been linked to an exit from the North Queensland Cowboys, with Chad Townsend also being considered for an unlikely move.

McGuire is facing a two-game ban for swearing at referee Grant Atkins in the Cowboys’ loss to the Storm.

The Queensland forward has endured a difficult start to life in Townsville.

Last season he was involved in three incidents of alleged eye gouging and faced a large amount of time on the sidelines.

placeholder.jpg

Incoming coach Anthony Griffin has already set about reshaping his coaching staff, and the next step will likely be his forward pack.

McGuire previously worked with Griffin at the Broncos and the incoming coach said he wanted a side which was battle-hardened.

MORE NRL NEWS

NRL RUN HOME: Where each top-eight team can finish and who they’ll face in finals

BANG AVERAGE: Sharks are finals-bound — but they’re just making up numbers

CONCUSSION CONCERN: ‘We all know ex-players sitting in nursing homes’

placeholder.jpg

“They’ve conceded 23 to 24 points a season for the last two seasons,” he told NRL360 .

“That probably comes back to the attitude and the way they train. The list. We need to get a harder edge on the squad.

“There is list management and they have lost some experience in (James) Graham and (Tyson) Frizell.”

MORE NRL NEWS

REVEALED: The foul-mouthed ref spray that could end fiery Cowboys star’s season

KNIGHT OFF: O’Brien has no regrets over resting big-name stars for Roosters clash

LOCK IT IN: 2020 State of Origin venues, dates confirmed for historic series

placeholder.jpg

3eb4a0045aa928e298932574d4dba310

Chad Townsend could be on the move
Meanwhile, Townsend has been linked to a move away from Cronulla.

The Sharks playmaker is currently serving a ban for a tackle on Kalyn Ponga.

And according to The Daily Telegraph the premiership winner has emerged as a potential candidate for the Bulldogs.

Canterbury have already signed Blake Green for next season as it becomes more likely that Kieran Foran will move on at the end of this season.

Foran has been mooted as possible signing for Newcastle, Brisbane and his old club Manly.