What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

RedVee

First Grade
A bit of rugby league trivia for us all . . .
View attachment 56207
View attachment 56208
I was there as an 11 year old, sitting on the seats just next to the fence on the eastern side of the ground - in my hand me down cotton St George jersey with a no 1 in the back.

That is still close to being the most disappointed I’ve ever been leaving a game. John Chapman missed a penalty goal after the field goal from memory.

Long trip home to Croydon Park that afternoon.

Gareth67

First Grade
Love living in Concord.2000-2008, down near Massey Park Golf Course.

Massey Park , my dad and uncle used to collect the golf balls down there and resell them for extra money. My mum’s house ran onto the back of the course , an old federation style home .

On her 90th birthday we took her down to the Italian restaurant there on the water and afterwards back to the old home for a trip down memory lane .

RedVee

First Grade
Massey Park , my dad and uncle used to collect the golf balls down there and resell them for extra money. My mum’s house ran onto the back of the course , an old federation style home .

On her 90th birthday we took her down to the Italian restaurant there on the water and afterwards back to the old home for a trip down memory lane .
Angelo’s Waterfront ?
love it there!

Gareth67

First Grade
Angelo’s Waterfront ?
love it there!

That’s the one RedVee , could not think of it . But they served a great dinner , loooved the oysters with bacon ? ?

Angels on horseback they were called , but very tasty indeed . Thoroughly recommend the food and the restaurant .

The only thing that prevents me from giving it a 10 / 10 rating is that the waiter placed the 90th birthday cake in front of me instead of dear old mum ! Well did that have the family cackling in laughter ! 😳

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Love living in Concord.2000-2008, down near Massey Park Golf Course.
I played many a game on Massey Park and remember only too well the dreaded cry of four and everyone ducking for cover as the fairways were up and back ad so close together.

Played a round their one day with my brother and we saw an old bloke wearing a crash helmet circa Tony Greig in World series Cricket and I enquired as to whether there were magpies around and he quickly dismissed that theory and told me he was hunting "4" golf balls (excuse the pun) to earn a few extra bob and he was wearing it to protect himself.

BBTB

Juniors
That’s the one RedVee , could not think of it . But they served a great dinner , loooved the oysters with bacon ? ?

Angels on horseback they were called , but very tasty indeed . Thoroughly recommend the food and the restaurant .

The only thing that prevents me from giving it a 10 / 10 rating is that the waiter placed the 90th birthday cake in front of me instead of dear old mum ! Well did that have the family cackling in laughter ! 😳
Yes,Angelo's a fantastic restaurant...had many a meal.

BBTB

Juniors
I played many a game on Massey Park and remember only too well the dreaded cry of four and everyone ducking for cover as the fairways were up and back ad so close together.

Played a round their one day with my brother and we saw an old bloke wearing a crash helmet circa Tony Greig in World series Cricket and I enquired as to whether there were magpies around and he quickly dismissed that theory and told me he was hunting "4" golf balls (excuse the pun) to earn a few extra bob and he was wearing it to protect himself.
Yes great memories. Used to walk my dog there also.Taking our lives into our own hands.....

getsmarty

Immortal

Old Timer

Coach
Speaking of Massey Park and Cabarita Bay did anyone go to the speed boat races there?

Our family spent a lot of years in the 60’s watching the death defying feats of crazy arsed speedboat skippers rushing up ad down Hen & Chicken Bay as well as other venues.

Life was good as the mighty Saints were winning plenty of comps let alone footy games, you got a refund on drink bottles and Jack Bullen in his mighty Jo Blo was the king of Cabarita providing he could get it to start lol.

The big rumours back then were around signings like Huddart, Hawthorne, Branson, Wittenberg and Barry Beath.

All played international footy and indeed those were the days.

BBTB

Juniors
Speaking of Massey Park and Cabarita Bay did anyone go to the speed boat races there?

Our family spent a lot of years in the 60’s watching the death defying feats of crazy arsed speedboat skippers rushing up ad down Hen & Chicken Bay as well as other venues.

Life was good as the mighty Saints were winning plenty of comps let alone footy games, you got a refund on drink bottles and Jack Bullen in his mighty Jo Blo was the king of Cabarita providing he could get it to start lol.

The big rumours back then were around signings like Huddart, Hawthorne, Branson, Wittenberg and Barry Beath.

Yes they were the days my friend.

Mojo

Bench

Barry Beath used to occasionally take the plate around at Rockdale Catholic Church. At least it eased the pain of giving sixpence a week to the cranky little Irish priest's beer money.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Barry Beath used to occasionally take the plate around at Rockdale Catholic Church. At least it eased the pain of giving sixpence a week to the cranky little Irish priest's beer money.
Saints haven't been the same since Barry and I lost our religion. The Club used to have God on its side but sold its soul to the devil. I went to Marist Brothers Kogarah. They were supposed to be teaching religion but they were actually teaching rugby league. You were exempt from expulsion if you played A Grade for the school. The ability to crush other kids was a highly regarded gift from God.

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors

Used to watch the boat races down at Tom Ugly's bridge.
On Saturday afternoon. Do you remember the Civic Centre dance in Hurstville Sunday nights...Live band,
Mostly the "illusions"played
Great band,in the late 60'?

possm

Coach
I cannot understand how they - or any club for that matter , can go out on a singing plurge willy nilly and then expect their current contracted players to look elsewhere ?

Am I missing something here , many of the players are still contracted to the club , just was is a contract worth nowadays ?

Perhaps they should just do away with them entirely ( could you imagine the perspiration running from their agents foreheads 😥 ) and merely press a rubber stamp on all players hands in the future - when the stamp wears off then they will be free to move on .
Maybe the NRL should have a rule that a club can not sign players unless there is already room in their salary cap to do so.

Gareth67

First Grade
Maybe the NRL should have a rule that a club can not sign players unless there is already room in their salary cap to do so.

Yes that would be an answer to the current situation but lawdy , lawdy pos old mate , why do you have to go and derail the thread ? We have gone back in time to the 50’s , water skiing around the sharks in Hen & Chicken Bay then stopping for a swim at Cabarita Baths before downing a couple of cold bottles of Reschs D.A. ☺️

Last edited:

Latest posts