What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We haven't even hit the paddock yet and we have posters running down the players recruited.
As far as I'm concerned, once a player pulls on the Red V jersey, they become part of us, part of our history.

IMO, any level of criticism should be directed towards the Club administration. The players are signed by the Club, they don't select themselves week-to-week.

In recent times certain players have copped a toxic level of abuse. That's a direct result of poor seasonal results.

What us fans need to realise is that the fault doesn't fall at the feet of the players. Once we embrace that attitude, we can regroup as a credible tier and re-establish the pressure to keep the bastards honest. It has happened before.

Blaming the players only divdes us.

2022 will be a testing time. Let's make the most of it.

Signed,
Full of confidence

Carlton

Juniors
As far as I'm concerned, once a player pulls on the Red V jersey, they become part of us, part of our history.

IMO, any level of criticism should be directed towards the Club administration. The players are signed by the Club, they don't select themselves week-to-week.

In recent times certain players have copped a toxic level of abuse. That's a direct result of poor seasonal results.

What us fans need to realise is that the fault doesn't fall at the feet of the players. Once we embrace that attitude, we can regroup as a credible tier and re-establish the pressure to keep the bastards honest. It has happened before.

Blaming the players only divdes us.

2022 will be a testing time. Let's make the most of it.

Signed,
Full of confidence
I believe a fan has a right to voice their opinion on the performance of the club, the coach, the nrl and the players.

I dont believe a fan has the right to voice an opinion that is not based on fact or their observations. We can all see things differently but, so long as its not purely vindictive or pessimistic just for the sake of it, thats life. But to criticise when there is nothing to base it on is ridiculous.

We haven't even played a trial game, we dont know what is happening at training and in private with the coaching staff and the players, we dont even know what the 17 is yet.

I think we are moving in the right direction and the goal should be to win the comp but to expect to do this in one season of restructuring is unrealistic in the extreme and if its not backed by long term planning we're back to where we were after the club let Bennett go.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I believe a fan has a right to voice their opinion on the performance of the club, the coach, the nrl and the players.

I dont believe a fan has the right to voice an opinion that is not based on fact or their observations. We can all see things differently but, so long as its not purely vindictive or pessimistic just for the sake of it, thats life. But to criticise when there is nothing to base it on is ridiculous.

We haven't even played a trial game, we dont know what is happening at training and in private with the coaching staff and the players, we dont even know what the 17 is yet.

I think we are moving in the right direction and the goal should be to win the comp but to expect to do this in one season of restructuring is unrealistic in the extreme and if its not backed by long term planning we're back to where we were after the club let Bennett go.
Good post Carlton. It's been a while but I've always advocated that the Club stands on three pillars:
Administration
Players
Supporters

Of course it's more complicated with coaching and junior development but those will always fit in.

Both the Club administration and players have their representation. IMO, Supporters deserve representation as well.

Crush

Coach
Insightful article with Griffin, thanks for posting.
Im really interested in who will play fullback. Griffin seems very hesitant to say Sloan is our man etc. I think he has real doubts over whether Sloan or Ramsey are ready based on what he's saying in the interview.
If Sloan or Ramsey dont step up and make that position their own this season I wonder who Hook plans on starting there?
Mbye?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Im really interested in who will play fullback. Griffin seems very hesitant to say Sloan is our man etc. I think he has real doubts over whether Sloan or Ramsey are ready based on what he's saying in the interview.
If Sloan or Ramsey dont step up and make that position their own this season I wonder who Hook plans on starting there?
Mbye?
Hook is a cunning old fox who knows that competition brings out the best in players. That is one of the main reasons we recruited as many players as we did. As soon as a player feels comfortable in a position, his standards can drop. This is particularly true when there are two younger and inexperienced players who are still developing physically and with their skills as is the case with the full-back position.

He did allude to both players beefing up and he did say whether its Sloany or Cody in the role (no mention of Mbye). My preference is for Sloan due to his connection with Amone (and Sullivan if he gets a run off the bench or during Origin). I was not impressed with what I saw of Mbye at full-back for the Tigers last season.

Crush

Coach
Hook is a cunning old fox who knows that competition brings out the best in players. That is one of the main reasons we recruited as many players as we did. As soon as a player feels comfortable in a position, his standards can drop. This is particularly true when there are two younger and inexperienced players who are still developing physically and with their skills as is the case with the full-back position.

He did allude to both players beefing up and he did say whether its Sloany or Cody in the role (no mention of Mbye). My preference is for Sloan due to his connection with Amone (and Sullivan if he gets a run off the bench or during Origin). I was not impressed with what I saw of Mbye at full-back for the Tigers last season.
Competition for spots is fine as long as we arent constantly chopping and changing players. Last year or two has been a revolving door at fullback. Dufty, Norman, Sloan, Ramsey, Lomax, Bird....
I just hope Hook picks and sticks with Sloan or Ramsey. Id hate to see both given a go for a few weeks then Mbye brought in.
The good teams all have solid year round fullbacks, it cant be a position that we experiment with during the season.

denis preston

First Grade
Competition for spots is fine as long as we arent constantly chopping and changing players. Last year or two has been a revolving door at fullback. Dufty, Norman, Sloan, Ramsey, Lomax, Bird....
I just hope Hook picks and sticks with Sloan or Ramsey. Id hate to see both given a go for a few weeks then Mbye brought in.
The good teams all have solid year round fullbacks, it cant be a position that we experiment with during the season.
Agree that we should persevere with the three but it is inevitable that the grind of NRL will play on their young bodies so a rest or games in ressies may be in order . Thats why I think Hook & staff brought in Mbye who is the teams band aid.

Dragon David

First Grade
Spot on Crush. Now that Sloan has extended and is now in the top 30, he will be the fullback fulltime IMO. No good chopping and changing as you say. It doesn't do the player much for his confidence and being the fulltime fullback every week will bring consistency and work a treat with combinations of the spine. The 3 "c's".

jak

Bench
Agree that we should persevere with the three but it is inevitable that the grind of NRL will play on their young bodies so a rest or games in ressies may be in order . Thats why I think Hook & staff brought in Mbye who is the teams band aid.
totally agree mate.

kit66

Bench
Mbye?

Surely Sloane is the man you want at the back. 6 tries and 2 try assists in his first 5 games and finishing off the year with a great performance against the Bunnies, he certainly was a standout Rookie. Plus I believe he's added some weight and will have the benefit of a full pre-season with the first grade squad. Ramsey was given many chances to shine but contributed very little and Mbye should probably be our bench utility (at least early on) not a roadblock for the rookies. Plus Sloane and Amone already have a combination in place. We need someone at the back to create and score points, I don't think Ramsey or Mbye are very capable in that area.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The exact reason why good attacking players debut very late.

Hopefully they can improve that side of his game and he gets to make the most of his obvious talents as did JAC who was a turnstile early on.
Hope you're right OT but the big difference is that this guy is 28- you'd have to think that many attempts have already have been made to fix his defence- and failed. But, he could put bums on seats the way Dufty used to so he could help with the clubs financial bottom line.

Old Timer

Coach
Hope you're right OT but the big difference is that this guy is 28- you'd have to think that many attempts have already have been made to fix his defence- and failed. But, he could put bums on seats the way Dufty used to so he could help with the clubs financial bottom line.
Yes 28 does indicate a problem exists somewhere in his game

The good part is that it is a train & play contract so no real downside and if called upon to play in the NRL if they get the ball to him with clear space in front at least he will have the pace to be able to score a long range try.

randomdragon

Juniors
Yes 28 does indicate a problem exists somewhere in his game

The good part is that it is a train & play contract so no real downside and if called upon to play in the NRL if they get the ball to him with clear space in front at least he will have the pace to be able to score a long range try.
It’s a development contract. Not train and trial