What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Against us and the Tigers they look like world beaters but they are very good. Impressive that they have kept the Tigers to only one try right at the end which would not have made Fitzy happy.

They are very fortunate to have Fitzgibbon as their coach and even if he is a rookie (most probably get an award for it) he has a wealth of knowledge on how to coach a team and being as young as he is as compared to Hook and Maguire, he has many years of success to look forward to. Young players mainly in the side - Fifita being the oldest I would think but he is still going strong.

They have two really good playmakers in Moylan and Hynes and two hookers in Brailey and McInnes when he comes on. They clear the rucks quickly, feed to either Moylan or Hynes and the backs get good quick ball. Both halves are kickers, which all good sides have.

We need these structures so badly. Get them now please!

Dragon David

First Grade
Penrith take everything in their stride and have so much self belief in themselves. So much confidence because they have that winning edge. You can't beat it.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Triple M is reporting that the Dragons will consider sacking Anthony Griffin if performances do not improve due to his very low payout

Josh McGuire, Daniel Alvaro , Poasa Fa’amusili and Jackson Ford will reportedly not be re-signed

And Jack Bird will reportedly have his contract offer pulled after he did not sign by deadline

Gareth67

First Grade
Triple M is reporting that the Dragons will consider sacking Anthony Griffin if performances do not improve due to his very low payout

Josh McGuire, Daniel Alvaro , Poasa Fa’amusili and Jackson Ford will reportedly not be re-signed

And Jack Bird will reportedly have his contract offer pulled after he did not sign by deadline
WOW ! That is almost unbelievable , in as much as they allowed the ‘ maestro ‘ to reign for donkey bluudy years before they acted .

BLM01

First Grade

What is more surprising is the low base reported salary
It appears to me the club hedged its bets and was not convinced or had full belief in Hook.
If and when he leaves its time to open the purse strings and pay good money and lure a highly respected coach if that is possible
However the real good ones are locked up by their clubs.
I keep saying it, the real talent is thin as is 35 man depth squads across now to be 17 teams.
When Hooks time is up, time to look outside the square if that is possible with our board.

denis preston

First Grade

Got the smell of Webby about this for me. Sure is a good change from the wait 5 years before doing anything Policy in the past. By the way still want Hook to succeed .

qld redvee

Juniors
WOW ! That is almost unbelievable , in as much as they allowed the ‘ maestro ‘ to reign for donkey bluudy years before they acted .
Gareth
the scary thing is I would throw woods into the dont sign again also . BUT where do we get replacements from ? the dolphins still need about 20 players for their squad so the pickings are thin on the ground We need a few large mobile props - maybe michael molo and jayden hunt but we need to sign them before they go elsewhere
And we need a coach that can "continue" what has been put in place by the club - the junior pathway whilst signing talent to fill the squad . And we need a bloody good coaching team and trainers our guys seem so far out of nick its not funny

We have a lot of forwards off contract woods alvaro faamausili gosiewski ford simms mcguire so I would hope that flanagan has started trying to find replacements in his new job even though hes only been it it for 5 weeks I dare say he may be burning the midnight oil from tomorrow the way its looking

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth
the scary thing is I would throw woods into the dont sign again also . BUT where do we get replacements from ? the dolphins still need about 20 players for their squad so the pickings are thin on the ground We need a few large mobile props - maybe michael molo and jayden hunt but we need to sign them before they go elsewhere
And we need a coach that can "continue" what has been put in place by the club - the junior pathway whilst signing talent to fill the squad . And we need a bloody good coaching team and trainers our guys seem so far out of nick its not funny

We have a lot of forwards off contract woods alvaro faamausili gosiewski ford simms mcguire so I would hope that flanagan has started trying to find replacements in his new job even though hes only been it it for 5 weeks I dare say he may be burning the midnight oil from tomorrow the way its looking
Qldredvee , Totally agree with your assessment of the current situation and also what needs to be done .

Should the powers to be , be genuine in as much as sacking Griffin and the players mentioned , then they certainly have their work cut out for them .

As you have said to find quality replacements for all and in particular the coach himself , then they had better begin to look now .

hewi

Bench
I hate to say it but Woods has an option for next year in his favour. Try and get McCullough to go also. TBH I find it hard to believe that much will change in coming weeks, tomorrow we will see what the team looks like. Not hopeful.

Puff

First Grade
What is more surprising is the low base reported salary
It appears to me the club hedged its bets and was not convinced or had full belief in Hook.
If and when he leaves its time to open the purse strings and pay good money and lure a highly respected coach if that is possible
However the real good ones are locked up by their clubs.
I keep saying it, the real talent is thin as is 35 man depth squads across now to be 17 teams.
When Hooks time is up, time to look outside the square if that is possible with our board.
Don’t be surprised by low base salaries. This whole club was bought at a dollar shop.

The whole theory behind our recruitment was value for money. More importantly value for other clubs money. The issue is for it to work the level of analysis involved is far beyond the competence of the dinosaurs at our club.

In life you get what you pay for, and the poor man always pays twice. That rings true for our squad, management and coaching staff

Mojo

Bench
Before going as far as sacking the coach the club should impose the necessary changes ie; give Hook the choice - make these changes now or go. Gentle dropped as defence coach, drop Macca permanently, Hunt to hooker, Mbye to bench, play the young guys as the spine. Six wins (Knights, Tigers, Titans, Warriors, Bulldogs, Cowboys - it’s a very reasonable KPI) from next eight rounds otherwise it’s over.

Dragon David

First Grade
Before going as far as sacking the coach the club should impose the necessary changes ie; give Hook the choice - make these changes now or go. Gentle dropped as defence coach, drop Macca permanently, Hunt to hooker, Mbye to bench, play the young guys as the spine. Six wins (Knights, Tigers, Titans, Warriors, Bulldogs, Cowboys - it’s a very reasonable KPI) from next eight rounds otherwise it’s over.
I like it Mojo, let's see if this will happen.

denis preston

First Grade
Don’t be surprised by low base salaries. This whole club was bought at a dollar shop.

The whole theory behind our recruitment was value for money. More importantly value for other clubs money. The issue is for it to work the level of analysis involved is far beyond the competence of the dinosaurs at our club.

In life you get what you pay for, and the poor man always pays twice. That rings true for our squad, management and coaching staff
Recruitment hasn't been the issue , its performance on the field. Why are the same forwards from the past two seasons not performing again ? When a non performing player is still picked in first grade they don't address their failings and self assessment as they don't have to. The Bunsen burner is slowly moving on to the coaches now.

slippery5

Juniors
If we had Gus over looking, that would happen.
Actual No, Gus sacked him & said "he hasn't got what it takes to get them to a GF."
In saying that, I would support that idea, otherwise I hate to wish for another defeat but it may be the only way to expediate the sacking.

Willow

Assistant Moderator