What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Wont learn anything if Sloan is not trained out of his flaws. Did Griffin and assistant give him any personal training after his shocker like the Rabbits coach gave his young half who also had a shocker against us bout same time. And was he sacked next game. No. Their coaching staff had faith in their kid. Sloan is a sh** coach.
Well we don’t know one way or another but fair to say others improved markedly so how do you think they did that?

Yes this is of prime importance but too oft neglected. You feel Ramsay does it better. Agree re Sloans catching. I wince when he lets the ball bounce, not the only one tho in the NRL. Yes he does switch off a bit and his defense needs work. Now his good points:
vision, ball in hand skill, pace and step. Those you dont teach, the others are fundamentals that a good coach should have been teaching him.
The issues he has defensively come from commitment. Perhaps he lacks confidence in that area due to his light frame. The way to overcome that is to work hard on building himself up a bit. No other coach in the NRL would persist with their fullback if he continually lets the ball bounce, doesn't show urgency on a loose ball and doesn't try and stop tries. Don't get me wrong, I think he can develop and become a great fullback but at the moment he has deficiencies he needs to work on. If he accepts that and works hard he will get there, dropping his bundle and going elsewhere will not build his resilience.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Yes this is of prime importance but too oft neglected. You feel Ramsay does it better. Agree re Sloans catching. I wince when he lets the ball bounce, not the only one tho in the NRL. Yes he does switch off a bit and his defense needs work. Now his good points:
vision, ball in hand skill, pace and step. Those you dont teach, the others are fundamentals that a good coach should have been teaching him.
Sorry mate but I would expect a young fullback who has come through the juniors to at least show they're willing to put their body on the line in defence. That's the mark of every good fullback.

Sloan showed in his performances this year and last that he isn't willing to commit himself to the high ball or to tackle someone who has broken the first line of defence.

To me that is big alarm bells as he is lacking what any young fullback should have by virtue of playing juniors in that position.

Yes the coaching staff can try to teach him these skills however they replaced him with another young fullback who showed he is willing to do these things so the choice is easy in my view, Ramsey plays fullback and Sloan can work on his game and perhaps try his luck on the wing down the track.

Cupper

Juniors
Yes. He is. But he’s no more likely to get early ball than any other of our edge players.
Disagree. I think our halves (in particular hunt) would be far more likely to give someone quick and early ball if they are going to do more with it than what our current edges do (drop the ball, flick pass into touch, run sideways etc)

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I watched the show, and it is speculation from start to finish! The pot stirrer (Riccio) admits that Sloan has NOT made a formal request to leave, and Riccio "believes" that the Dragons would deny such a request. I can't say that there is definitely no substance to the story, but at the moment it is all smoke and mirrors and journalists stirring the pot! Hopefully Sloan sucks it up and just gets better!

Dragons4me

Juniors
I watched the show, and it is speculation from start to finish! The pot stirrer (Riccio) admits that Sloan has NOT made a formal request to leave, and Riccio "believes" that the Dragons would deny such a request. I can't say that there is definitely no substance to the story, but at the moment it is all smoke and mirrors and journalists stirring the pot! Hopefully Sloan sucks it up and just gets better!
This is the problem. I just go back to game footage; commentary from the three themselves and how they like and want to play together as evidence of their ultimate commitment to the club. 2023 is a brand new year which will bring no better opportunity particularly for the three to play together. I bet a lot is happening in player movement behind the scenes and a lot is going to happen before a ball is kicked in round 1 of the competition. What I do know is that I'll be there no matter what as it's in my genetic make-up to follow the Dragons.

BLM01

First Grade
This is the problem. I just go back to game footage; commentary from the three themselves and how they like and want to play together as evidence of their ultimate commitment to the club. 2023 is a brand new year which will bring no better opportunity particularly for the three to play together. I bet a lot is happening in player movement behind the scenes and a lot is going to happen before a ball is kicked in round 1 of the competition. What I do know is that I'll be there no matter what as it's in my genetic make-up to follow the Dragons.
Was not Amone gone to the Dolphins as not happy after after nog getting much if a run or moved around last year
Same song. different singer

Latest posts