What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Yow

Juniors
Till this day, I hold Lord Ted as a great of the club.

Dynasty is , well, media hype to get clicks.

From my era growing up in the 70's Ted was instrumental is turning me into a Saints tragic. Many in my sphere also would date back to the 77 and 79 sides as their foundation to following Saints.

Tears of Blood, has always been my avatar. I still have the magazine cover.

Honestly, I think the last 12 years or so have left such a bad taste to Saints fans that any mention of an ex-player and or connections to him are met with justifiable scepticism. It;s a shame beacuse every case is different.
Meet Ted a couple of years ago he still loves his Dragons

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting take on Bronx Goodwin. He (according to the least available and reliable source in Wikipedia) was signed to the Dragons in 2010 (didn't play 1st grade) and released in 2012. He was appointed to the Dragons Welfare program after a series of injuries in 2013, which brough on some bouts of depression. Nothing other than that since 2013.

So, one could take that Bronx has been around for almost 12yrs at the Dragons, also assisting with juniors as an assistant coach.

His appointment to KOE Cup coach, whilst lacking in experience, could serve well as his recent employment history suggests.

qld redvee

Juniors

From my era growing up in the 70's Ted was instrumental is turning me into a Saints tragic. Many in my sphere also would date back to the 77 and 79 sides as their foundation to following Saints.

Honestly, I think the last 12 years or so have left such a bad taste to Saints fans that any mention of an ex-player and or connections to him are met with justifiable scepticism. It;s a shame beacuse every case is different.
Tru,
Loved lord ted playing he was a gifted player thats for sure. I have met him on several occasions and he signed the tears of blood front page for me ... It now hangs with all my other dragon memorabilia and like.
great memories

Drewbrees

Juniors
Played against Lord Ted several times in the late 80's when he captain coached Parkes and Forbes in group 11. He was huge and played mainly 5/8, very skillful. It was quite surreal lining up against one of your idols. I'm pretty sure he won a premiership with Forbes maybe in 1987.

DfL

Juniors
Victorian raised local juniors are a rare find at the Melbourne Storm and now St George Illawarra have landed a blow, poaching rising brothers Haele and Sione Finau.
The Storm were eager to retain the duo, having invested in their development, but an opportunity to earn top-30 rosters spots together, and one day play in the NRL side-by-side, was an offer too hard for the brothers to refuse.

Hooker Haele, 22, has signed a one year full-time training deal that will turn into a top-30 spot in 2024.

While veteran rake Andrew McCullough has opted against retirement and will play out the final year of his deal, dummy half is a position that the Dragons have tried to shore up in the off-season.

Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle was released to join the Red V on a one-year deal in 2023.

Player agent Michael Cincotta, who represents both brothers, said Haele is viewed as a long-term prospect for the No.9 jumper.

Melbourne local juniors and brothers Sione (left) and Haele Finau have signed with the Dragons. Photo: Brisbane Tigers

Melbourne local juniors and brothers Sione (left) and Haele Finau have signed with the Dragons. Photo: Brisbane Tigers
“Haele manipulates the ruck really well. He is quite explosive out of dummy half. He sees the game really well. I think he is going to be one of those players that can game manage from the hooker position,” Cincotta said.

“At the under-20s level he played halfback for Melbourne, too. He’s an exciting prospect because he can get over the line too.”

Outside back Sione, 20, has scored a development contract that will be upgraded to an NRL deal in 2024.

“Sione is a powerful runner, big, tall, rangy and he’s really quick when he hits his top speed. He’s got a really strong fend and good late footwork,” Cincotta said.

Haele captained the Thunderbolts Jersey Flegg side in 2020 before the competition was cancelled due to Covid 19.

That’s when Haele moved up north to join Melbourne’s feeder side, the Brisbane Tigers, where he made his Queensland Cup debut in 2021.

Sione joined his older brother 12 months later and impressed in the under-21s Hastings Deering Colts competition this year.

It’s understood two other Queensland clubs showed interest in the pair and Melbourne made an offer to retain the youngsters.

But the Dragons’ multi-year deal gave Haele, who had spent his time in Melbourne stuck behind some of the best dummy halves in the game, the best chance at making an NRL debut.

“For Haele, the hooker situation given Harry Grant, Brandon Smith ... even if you go as far back as Cameron Smith... that’s what he was dealing with for three years or so. It made sense to pick the Dragons, even though McCullough isn’t retiring. We just viewed it as a good avenue for him to play NRL,” Cincotta said.

Melbourne product Haele Finau has signed with the Dragons. Photo: Brisbane Tigers
“There were a few clubs that were interested, obviously Melbourne wanted to keep them, they knew the boys well and everything about them. Both had already done some pre-season work with the NRL side at different stages.”

Last week the Dragons added Zane Musgrove to their pack after the Tigers released the forward from the final year of his contract at Concord.

Musgrave agreed to a two-year deal with the Red V after veteran prop George Burgess was released from his contract.

Northern Pride front-rower Nick Lui-Toso has also been added to the Griffin’s top-30 for the 2023 season.

Outside back Tautau Moga, who played 10 games for the Red V this year, has signed a one-year extension with the club.

DfL

Juniors
Matt Cooper wore the St George Illawarra jersey in 243 games over 14 seasons.
They didn’t come any tougher and no-one wore it with more pride.
One game, in 2011 against the Wests Tigers at Kogarah, he played through the excruciating pain of fractured cheekbone and a broken hand because he loved the jersey.
It’s why the current crisis at the Dragons is hurting him as much as the above injuries.
“There’s no pride in the jersey anymore,” he says.
Junior players wanting to quit, old players slagging off on the club.
Only three turning up for the club’s presentation night. Another failed year in missing the finals.
Doubts about the coach’s future and now a chairman using club letterhead to write a reference for a shamed ex-player who used a sex hotline to share child abuse material.
“It’s disgraceful,” says Cooper as we begin to chat about the broken culture at his old club.

Although he left the Dragons on bad terms in 2013 – promised a job that was never delivered - the former NSW Blues and Kangaroos centre insists he is not speaking as a disgruntled ex-player.
Matt Cooper has unloaded on his former club.

“It’s terrible where the club is right now,” Cooper said.
“From 2001 to 2011 we only missed the finals twice. Since then we’ve only made them twice.
“Obviously it changed when Wayne Bennett left. It all starts from the top with the hierarchy. That’s where the culture comes from.”
Cooper finds it hard to believe that local juniors Tyrell Sloan and Jayden Sullivan would want out.
“In the old days kids would do anything to wear the Red V,” he said, “They grew up with a dream to play for the Dragons.
“Now there’s no pride in the jersey. There’s no team-first attitude.
“You can see that when these players are asking to be released.
“And I’m not blaming them. There is a reason why they want to go elsewhere.”
Sloan and Sullivan have since withdrawn their release requests.
We move on to the club’s presentation night debacle. Only three players from a 30-man squad bothered to turn up to see Ben Hunt awarded the prestigious Dragons Medal.
“When I read that I thought it couldn’t be true,” he said, “Seriously, three players. It’s a joke.
“If that doesn’t show there’s something seriously wrong, what does?
Craig Young’s character reference for Brett Finch. Credit: Supplied.

Dragons chairman Craig Young. Picture: NRL Imagery

“I loved this club so much and it is really sad to watch stuff like this happening.”
On Craig Young, the chairman who wrote a reference on club letterhead to disgraced former player Brett Finch, Cooper unloads again.
“He should stand down,” Cooper said.
“For the chairman of the board to give a reference to a person who used a sex chat service to send sick messages about young boys is just disgusting.
“To do it on the club’s letterhead is even worse. If I was still a player I would have spoken up about it. In fact I would have even had to consider my position at the club.”
We start talking about the culture from a decade ago.
When he played alongside great leaders like Beau Scott, Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale, Ben Hornby, Dean Young, Ben Creagh and Michael Weyman. Men who bled for the jersey.
“I often think about the game I played with a fractured cheekbone and a broken hand,” he said.
Matt Cooper is shatter at the current state of his former club.

“The doctor looked at it at halftime and said it was a depressed fracture. He said my hand was broken as well.
“I said to Wayne I’m going to keep going. That’s what the jersey meant to us. It’s what you do when you’re playing for a club you love.
“I had surgery after the game. Eight screws in my hand, four in my cheekbone. I was out for six weeks. I can look back now with great pride that I didn’t quit that game.
“It’s the way it was back then. No one quit.”
Cooper’s body suffered so much physical punishment over his 14 seasons.
In retirement he became addicted to painkiller medication and spiralled into depression.
It’s seven years now since he touched a painkiller. He is again strong and healthy.
The only pain these days is witnessing the capitulation of his beloved old club.

Overseadragon

Juniors

I especially remember the dragons playing manly and LORD TED made the manly fullback who was also the Australian fullback stupid ........I'm sure some of you boys might remember that game

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I especially remember the dragons playing manly and LORD TED made the manly fullback who was also the Australian fullback stupid ........I'm sure some of you boys might remember that game
Maybe the Major Semi Final 1975? Chang pulled out late and Goodwin switched to Fullback. Scored one of the best tries I’ve seen in the hill corner, chipping over the top over Eadie before juggling and sprinting to the line. Eadie and Ray Branighan had a tough afternoon due to his unpredictable brilliant game in upsetting Manly who were the favourites to go on and play Easts.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Maybe the Major Semi Final 1975? Chang pulled out late and Goodwin switched to Fullback. Scored one of the best tries I’ve seen in the hill corner, chipping over the top over Eadie before juggling and sprinting to the line. Eadie and Ray Brannigan had a tough afternoon due to his unpredictable brilliant game in upsetting Manly who were the favourites to go on and play Easts.
As it turned out it’s one game that I would have been ok losing.

possm

Coach
Maybe the Major Semi Final 1975? Chang pulled out late and Goodwin switched to Fullback. Scored one of the best tries I’ve seen in the hill corner, chipping over the top over Eadie before juggling and sprinting to the line. Eadie and Ray Branighan had a tough afternoon due to his unpredictable brilliant game in upsetting Manly who were the favourites to go on and play Easts.
Yes, I remember that well! Utter brilliance. It is a shame that Saints did not go with Goodwin in the 1975 GF; we might have made it a competitive game.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes, I remember that well! Utter brilliance. It is a shame that Saints did not go with Goodwin in the 1975 GF; we might have made it a competitive game.
Well they did, but he was in the centres. Knocked out cold trying to emulate his chip and chase when he collided heads horrifically with Shubert. He’d go off now for sure!

Last edited:

shiloh dc

Juniors
What a great time that was beating Manly and the Roosters on consecutive weekends watching from the top of the Sheridan Stand. Great times. Does anyone else get the feeling the press and in particular the Telegraph are running an agenda against the Dragons. Article after article. Weaken the Dragons at all costs to strengthen others???? We need strong management to shut such parasites
down.

thebigredv

First Grade
Matt Cooper wore the St George Illawarra jersey in 243 games over 14 seasons.
They didn’t come any tougher and no-one wore it with more pride.
One game, in 2011 against the Wests Tigers at Kogarah, he played through the excruciating pain of fractured cheekbone and a broken hand because he loved the jersey.
It’s why the current crisis at the Dragons is hurting him as much as the above injuries.
“There’s no pride in the jersey anymore,” he says.
Junior players wanting to quit, old players slagging off on the club.
Only three turning up for the club’s presentation night. Another failed year in missing the finals.
Doubts about the coach’s future and now a chairman using club letterhead to write a reference for a shamed ex-player who used a sex hotline to share child abuse material.
“It’s disgraceful,” says Cooper as we begin to chat about the broken culture at his old club.

Although he left the Dragons on bad terms in 2013 – promised a job that was never delivered - the former NSW Blues and Kangaroos centre insists he is not speaking as a disgruntled ex-player.

“It’s terrible where the club is right now,” Cooper said.
“From 2001 to 2011 we only missed the finals twice. Since then we’ve only made them twice.
“Obviously it changed when Wayne Bennett left. It all starts from the top with the hierarchy. That’s where the culture comes from.”
Cooper finds it hard to believe that local juniors Tyrell Sloan and Jayden Sullivan would want out.
“In the old days kids would do anything to wear the Red V,” he said, “They grew up with a dream to play for the Dragons.
“Now there’s no pride in the jersey. There’s no team-first attitude.
“You can see that when these players are asking to be released.
“And I’m not blaming them. There is a reason why they want to go elsewhere.”
Sloan and Sullivan have since withdrawn their release requests.
We move on to the club’s presentation night debacle. Only three players from a 30-man squad bothered to turn up to see Ben Hunt awarded the prestigious Dragons Medal.
“When I read that I thought it couldn’t be true,” he said, “Seriously, three players. It’s a joke.
“If that doesn’t show there’s something seriously wrong, what does?

“I loved this club so much and it is really sad to watch stuff like this happening.”
On Craig Young, the chairman who wrote a reference on club letterhead to disgraced former player Brett Finch, Cooper unloads again.
“He should stand down,” Cooper said.
“For the chairman of the board to give a reference to a person who used a sex chat service to send sick messages about young boys is just disgusting.
“To do it on the club’s letterhead is even worse. If I was still a player I would have spoken up about it. In fact I would have even had to consider my position at the club.”
We start talking about the culture from a decade ago.
When he played alongside great leaders like Beau Scott, Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale, Ben Hornby, Dean Young, Ben Creagh and Michael Weyman. Men who bled for the jersey.
“I often think about the game I played with a fractured cheekbone and a broken hand,” he said.

“The doctor looked at it at halftime and said it was a depressed fracture. He said my hand was broken as well.
“I said to Wayne I’m going to keep going. That’s what the jersey meant to us. It’s what you do when you’re playing for a club you love.
“I had surgery after the game. Eight screws in my hand, four in my cheekbone. I was out for six weeks. I can look back now with great pride that I didn’t quit that game.
“It’s the way it was back then. No one quit.”
Cooper’s body suffered so much physical punishment over his 14 seasons.
In retirement he became addicted to painkiller medication and spiralled into depression.
It’s seven years now since he touched a painkiller. He is again strong and healthy.
The only pain these days is witnessing the capitulation of his beloved old club.
How far we've fallen. Thank you Matt for keeping the lot of them accountable.

possm

Coach
In my opinion, Des Hasler would turn things around in one season. I'm sure there will be a number of players let go by Manly after Nov 1 and so, we need to settle on a new coach before then. Hasler would be the ideal coach and put us in the best position to entice players let go by Manly.

justadragon

Bench
Interesting take on Bronx Goodwin. He (according to the least available and reliable source in Wikipedia) was signed to the Dragons in 2010 (didn't play 1st grade) and released in 2012. He was appointed to the Dragons Welfare program after a series of injuries in 2013, which brough on some bouts of depression. Nothing other than that since 2013.

So, one could take that Bronx has been around for almost 12yrs at the Dragons, also assisting with juniors as an assistant coach.

His appointment to KOE Cup coach, whilst lacking in experience, could serve well as his recent employment history suggests.

I will reserve judgement on him until I see what our KOE cup side does, we definitely need to be way better than this year, plus KOE needs to up its standards getting ready for NRL especially with our juniors. If Goodwin is the man to do that, lets hope so. BTW I'm not liking Aitken in our pathways system either.

Latest posts