What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
I can see your view , but personally I think Brown would do a good job in recruitment, and probably better than Flannagan, because we dont know what Flano did.
Flannagan honestly seemed like he did nothing. Just a waste of money for the club so I agree there, but I also think most would do better than Flanno. That's not to say this year there was much to work with in the market, but he just seemed to be MIA.

Drakon

Juniors
Unable to access due to the paywall. Can someone post the article??
From NRL Universe/Reddit:-

Former St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown has emerged as the prime candidate to take over Shane Flanagan’s head of recruitment role at the Dragons.

It comes after Flanagan was offered one of Anthony Seibold’s assistant coaching positions at Manly.

Sources at the Dragons claim Flanagan has not yet officially accepted Manly’s offer (as of Tuesday lunchtime), although that appears a formality.

That means that finding a new head of recruitment now becomes a priority for the Dragons.

Flanagan’s role is specifically labelled the top 30 list management consultant, but in a nutshell that means head of recruitment.

For that reason the Dragons job would appear perfectly suited to a person with Brown’s experience and contacts within the game.

The major issue is Brown recently accepted an ongoing role at Parramatta after doing a review into the Eels’ pathways program.

Brown had previously spoken to the Dragons before starting work at the Eels, but at that point there was no suitable position for him.

But Flanagan’s pending departure has now opened a door.

Brown could not be contacted but it’s no secret he still has plenty close bonds with influential figures at the Dragons, and his name will be at the top of the list when the hunt to replace Flanagan officially commences.

Brown had previously stood down as Warriors coach this season.

At the time Brown said that his days as an NRL head coach were done, but he conceded he was wanting to move into another area in club land.

Brown had an outstanding career as a player for St George and coached the joint venture for 151 games between 2003 and 2008.

Brown will forever be remembered for the day he famously face slapped Trent Barrett during a sideline pep talk in his early days coaching.

But he also had a better than average record coaching the club, winning 53 per cent of his games before he was moved on to make way for Wayne Bennett’s arrival.

Brown then took on a job in the Super League at Huddersfield before having success at St Helens.

He then returned to the NRL coaching Newcastle and the Warriors with limited success.

But what can’t be questioned is that Brown has built an outstanding reputation throughout game and is widely regarded as one of the champion blokes.

And that’s why he would be well suited to a role in recruitment.

It remains to be seen how he would potentially work alongside Anthony Griffin who is coming under increasing pressure by the day.

What would help is the fact Brown appears to have no desire to be a head coach again, so Griffin should not feel pressure if Brown’s name comes up in conversation.

The Dragons management have backed Griffin so far but fractures within the playing group continue to cause angst.

The trouble with replacing Griffin at this point is coming up with a suitable replacement given the lack of experienced coaches on the market.

Des Hasler is one option.

Flanagan has apparently assured Manly that if he takes the job he will stay as Seibold’s assistant for at least a year, while Michael Maguire has given Canberra a similar assurance after taking on a role as Ricky Stuart’s defence coach.

The best of the young coaches coming through are former Dragons players Jason Ryles, Dean Young and Ben Hornby.

Any one of them would be a good fit if the Dragons decide to move on Griffin in the coming months, although all are currently employed as assistants at rival clubs.

qld redvee

Juniors
I think Nathan Brown would go well in this position .. He seemed to find up and coming players at his time for newcastle whilst coaching. Concentrating on list management / potential pathways i think he would do well for us and he has youth on his side ( unlike Flanno ) My opinion I think he would communicate with people easier , and I would be willing to say that the bar hasnt been set too high by flanno / millward before him

I'm Hornby

Juniors
His more recent form would suggest he's not a good recruiter.
He brought the likes of Ponga, Guerra and Pearce to the Knights during a time when they were consistent wooden spooners. That's something in itself.

He brought Walsh to the Warriors which was a good find as well while it lasted.

I think he may have blooded the Saifiti brothers and a few other good juniors at Newcastle too.

Recruitment and Pathways has always been one of Brownie's strong suits IMO.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Yes agree, just have to find someone to pay these useless WIN Corporation out.
Yes Qdf everything has to go, start fresh, the owner of the Kings doesn’t want anything to do with them it’s a dumpster fire. And that’s what we are getting and seeing. They all know that they would all out of a job if a new owner came in.
Wouldn’t it be great that would happen, we all see what Russell does with south’s and uncle Nick with easts. Just a dream Qdf just a dream.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes Qdf everything has to go, start fresh, the owner of the Kings doesn’t want anything to do with them it’s a dumpster fire. And that’s what we are getting and seeing. They all know that they would all out of a job if a new owner came in.
Wouldn’t it be great that would happen, we all see what Russell does with south’s and uncle Nick with easts. Just a dream Qdf just a dream.
Yes agree, just have to find someone to pay these useless WIN Corporation out.
Maybe if one of us is lucky to win the big first prize in Powerball this Thursday night ($160M), he could become the joint owner of the Dragons and payout the Gordons' share!?

mickeylane

Bench
H
I envisage that Young Snr will set it up for Young Jnr then step down.
Hes already done that by extending Hook out of the blue in March for one year to make the gap year 2023 which coincides w Young Jnrs contract expiry and ready to stroll into Kogarah in 2024 w apparently Robson in tow at 9 as the click bait… but Young Snr he didn’t stop the f**k ups - he then accidentally used club letter head to support a paedo! I mean the guy is not bleeding red Johnny Raper, Nightingale, Cooper bled red.. I hate hearing that comment roll out each time his name is mentioned - he’s using the club for self interests because that’s what you do when you get the opportunity and no he’s not the only one in the club but he’s the most high profile one..he’s a lead weight to the club w ancient beliefs and practices.. f**k him off!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Jeez I really hope Browny comes back. He is gun at identifying good talent. Set up the team perfect for Bennett to come in and win a comp. He has no interest in coaching but will provide great cattle for the coach. How he uses them is a different story.

One thing for sure if Brown was coach players like Macca and Woods would not be playing in FG. Those guys are not the type of players he usually goes for looking at his history. Hopefully his first job will be to get them out of the club asap to free up any space. Then become selector of the FG side as he would definitely do a better job than Hook.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
May have already been covered but The Mole reporting today that Sloan and Bud agreed to stay because they were told Hook won’t coach the Dragons beyond 2023. Of course maybe click bait but fits in nicely with the prodigal son returning in 2024 after his Cowboys stint.