What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

SaintPauli

Juniors
We’ve missed the boat again on many players. But as I posted elsewhere, why is it previously struggling clubs can recruit and we can’t sign anyone of major standing. Is the Wollongong base, such a turn off? Is it our old fashioned image and club that hangs on the glory days of the 50’s and 60’s...
Is it the proposition that we are bottom dwellers and no longer a successful and competitive Club...
The divided BOD, exodus of big names in recent years, dwindling memberships and crowd numbers would not be helping...
I think Griffin will please us fans. However to your point above i really believe the best coaches attract and keep players ro a club whether experienced or up and coming. The club should only invest in the best coaches not apprentices like we has done since Bennet left.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
The SMH reporting that Flannagan has requested to have his ban brought to an end, so he can coach this year, if need be. Its behind a paywall so maybe someone else can provide the link or post.

Could see this coming having taken McInnes from us, just didn't think he would try so quickly.

B Smith is the hooker we need and I've been waiting for. 500k on a 3 year deal will do the trick. We must have the dollars as we were going to give this to Folau. Let McInnes go now and begin the season with a fresh start.

So sign him up Dragons!
There is no way Cronulla could afford McInnes this year. You guys would have to pay half. Also, there is no way Melbourne would release him early if Cam leaves.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Tom Brady factor.

Most on here would know Tom Brady won the Super Bowel today.

Add both Falau & Cameron Smith to our side & we win the comp this year.

Do we want to win or not?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The SMH reporting that Flannagan has requested to have his ban brought to an end, so he can coach this year, if need be. Its behind a paywall so maybe someone else can provide the link or post.

Could see this coming having taken McInnes from us, just didn't think he would try so quickly.
NRL reportedly considering allowing suspended Shane Flanagan to make early return

The NRL is reportedly considering allowing Shane Flanagan to return to a head coaching job months before his suspension expires.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald , the NRL has indicated it could soften its stance on Flanagan to allow the 2016 premiership-winning coach return midway through this season.

Flanagan was deregistered indefinitely in December, 2018 after an investigation revealed he had communicated with the Sharks while already serving a previous 12-month ban for the club’s peptide scandal.

In September, 2019, Flanagan was informed he could return as an assistant coach but cannot take on a head coaching role until November 1, 2021 — when pre-season for the 2022 season resumes.

However, the Herald is reporting “sources with knowledge of NRL discussions regarding Flanagan’s future” have confirmed that he has spoken to NRL CEO Andrew Abdo and ARLC chair Peter V’landys about whether he could take up a job before his ban is up.

The governing body has reportedly indicated they would consider it, keeping in mind that if a role comes up this year before Flanagan’s suspension expires and he cannot throw his hat into the ring, he may have to wait years for another opportunity.

News of Flanagan potentially returning early will likely ruffle some feathers with fans, however League great Mark Geyer believes he’s spent too much time out of the game as it is.

“I think these penalties are way too harsh anyways. I thought he could have been back last year,” Geyer told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.

“I think he’s served his time for the crime he allegedly did. I think it’s time to put old things to bed and let’s get going.

“Flanagan is a reputable coach, a good coach with a good footy brain who can be a valuable asset to any club.”

Flanagan was an assistant coach with the Dragons last year under ex-coach Paul McGregor. However, new coach Anthony Griffin did not keep him on for the 2021 season.

The 55-year-old led the Sharks to their maiden premiership in 2016, a finals appearance in 2017 and a top four finish and one game away from the grand final in 2018.

No doubt if a club can look past his checkered past, Flanagan could be scooped up quickly in a head coaching gig.

However, with five coaches moved on last season, his best opportunity would have been 2020. The Broncos, Bulldogs, Warriors, Cowboys and Dragons have all appointed new mentors for 2021 and will likely stick by their new coaches for at least one season — given nothing out of ordinary occurs.

But Sharks coach John Morris is said to be under pressure given his contract has not been extended beyond this year. Flanagan has some support at the club but the Herald reports CEO Dino Mezzatesta is not open to going back down that path.

Eels coach Brad Arthur is also in the pressure cooker — despite being contracted until the end of 2022 — however the club is said to not be interested in Flanagan’s services.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/6143c97cf6b3e3bebe2a8118ca55203e

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So when Saints enquired about a possible early return for Flanno, the NRL knocked them back. Another team asks and there is a possibility. Typical Saints getting the raw deal again from the NRL. Geez they hate us. I am sure Saints would have wanted this assurance from the NRL before they went out looking for another coach.

Rex Terp

First Grade
So when Saints enquired about a possible early return for Flanno, the NRL knocked them back. Another team asks and there is a possibility. Typical Saints getting the raw deal again from the NRL. Geez they hate us. I am sure Saints would have wanted this assurance from the NRL before they went out looking for another coach.
Do they hate us or are we just local bowlo light weights who have no idea how to go about things