What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
sorry dave my eyes and fingers don't work like they use to i ment to say 1949 which makes me sooo much younger than you guys
I have that problem too jak. 1949 was a great year as well. I was just a toddler then and living in Pyrmont.

Reactions: jak

Old Timer

Coach
OK, I'll own up to 49 also, grew up at Hurstville/Kingsgrove and been living at Como with the bride for the last 41 years.
CC

I was born in the Rosslyn Hospital Arncliffe and my first 12 months were in the Herne Bay settlement.

Whilst not a family photo this is certainly typical of the camp of which my 2 elder brothers have memories of.

4128582.JPG

Shortly after we relocated to the new HC estate in Peakhurst and remained there until mid 70's (mum & dad had purchased the house and ultimately sold and went to the ACT) so I then flew the coup to rent a half house in Carrington St Hurstville basically backing onto Dora Street near Hurstville Oval.

My land lady there was the favourite aunty of the great Harry Wells (real name Wills) who used to visit from time to time and was a lovely bloke.

Whilst there found a lost dog at Kurnell and couldn't keep him at the half a house so then moved to Kingsgrove and rented a house off Ron Bramley the local (actually lived in Lugarno) real estate agent.

Been a St George die hard my entire life and no doubt some of the other older guys will also remember the wonderful school holiday footy camps at the mighty Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I was born in the Rosslyn Hospital Arncliffe and my first 12 months were in the Herne Bay settlement.

Whilst not a family photo this is certainly typical of the camp of which my 2 elder brothers have memories of.

4128582.JPG

Shortly after we relocated to the new HC estate in Peakhurst and remained there until mid 70's (mum & dad had purchased the house and ultimately sold and went to the ACT) so I then flew the coup to rent a half house in Carrington St Hurstville basically backing onto Dora Street near Hurstville Oval.

My land lady there was the favourite aunty of the great Harry Wells (real name Wills) who used to visit from time to time and was a lovely bloke.

Whilst there found a lost dog at Kurnell and couldn't keep him at the half a house so then moved to Kingsgrove and rented a house off Ron Bramley the local (actually lived in Lugarno) real estate agent.

Been a St George die hard my entire life and no doubt some of the other older guys will also remember the wonderful school holiday footy camps at the mighty Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

I moved to Bexley then Hurstville (just off Dumbleton Rd
- as King George’s Rd was then called)
from Condobolin as a toddler,

We had what then seemed an endless Penshurst Park as our playground.
And the days seemed timeless as night descended after training
.... listening agog as the coaches rattled off the names & weekend exploits of our legends at Jubilee.

Lungs aching in the cold air
We were indestructible

Premierships a given

& it was just a matter of against whom & by how much

We’d stand outside the Carlton pub post game waiting for our heroes to come

Shivers up the spine as they passed & sometimes acknowledged us

.... We grew up playing footy on Penshurst, Scarborough & Carss Parks & Hurstville Oval

- until a severely depressed sternum acquired from being sandwiched via a hospital pass at 5/8 ended my footy days at 20.

We were Dragons fanatics at Penshurst Public
then Sydney Tech High

(hello Doust, we remember you)

where we’d get into trouble passing next week’s fantasy team lists around the classroom

I fell out with Miss Watts (who I adored)
over one of those lists when caught red handed.
...& I was mortified (but buoyed by
the knowledge I had Gasnier’s name returned to my hot little fist)

So I can relate well to possm’s daily team wishlists & Teamsheet Tuesdays lol

Great days & one of life’s great rewards

Except for the lost decade

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Aah the good ol' days when the corner pub was the hub for the gossip and when the rumours were intriguing and meaningful. The SP bookies were in their element in those days and I can hear the crooning voice of Frank Sinatra singing "You make me feel so young" in the background when the wireless was on.

Did I hear someone mention the 6Again rule coming into the game? Must have been a figment of my extraordinary imagination.

ALSGI

Bench
I moved to Bexley then Hurstville (just off Dumbleton Rd
- as King George’s Rd was then called)
from Condobolin as a toddler,

We had what then seemed an endless Penshurst Park as our playground.
And the days seemed timeless as night descended after training
.... listening agog as the coaches rattled off the names & weekend exploits of our legends at Jubilee.

Lungs aching in the cold air
We were indestructible

Premierships a given

& it was just a matter of against whom & by how much

We’d stand outside the Carlton pub post game waiting for our heroes to come

Shivers up the spine as they passed & sometimes acknowledged us

.... We grew up playing footy on Penshurst, Scarborough & Carss Parks & Hurstville Oval

- until a severely depressed sternum acquired from being sandwiched via a hospital pass at 5/8 ended my footy days at 20.

We were Dragons fanatics at Penshurst Public
then Sydney Tech High

(hello Doust, we remember you)

where we’d get into trouble passing next week’s fantasy team lists around the classroom

I fell out with Miss Watts (who I adored)
over one of those lists when caught red handed.
...& I was mortified (but buoyed by
the knowledge I had Gasnier’s name returned to my hot little fist)

So I can relate well to possm’s daily team wishlists & Teamsheet Tuesdays lol

Great days & one of life’s great rewards

Except for the lost decade
Great yarn mate,

Us James Cook boys hated Sydney Tech boys (the flash school with the pool) but spent a lot of time at Scarborough Park.

Infants and Primary School was across the road from KJO. I grew up in Kogarah/Carlton/Allawah/Hurstville in the 60’s/70’s so would usually walk past KJO nearly every day of my school years.

getsmarty

Immortal
NORMAN TURNS DRAGONS FATE AROUND

Seven months ago, Corey Norman was one of the most criticised halves in the competition. It looked almost certain that he wouldn’t be re-signed by the Dragons when his contract expires at the end of this year.

However, in his first three games of this season, it seems Norman has managed to change some minds at the Red V.

Wide World of Sports reports the 30-year-old is “getting close” to a contract extension, while Ritchie also believes Norman could very well land a new contract with the Dragons — but just like Milford, he’ll have to cop a pay cut.

“If you asked me six weeks ago I would have said he’s probably going to end this year on his $800,000, the dragons won’t re-sign him and Corey will wonder off to another NRL club or maybe even England,” Ritchie said.

“However, he’s started the year exceptionally well.

“There’s no doubt that Corey Norman would need to take a haircut in terms of his next contract, he might have to accept around $400,000 to $500,000.

“There’s been no movement yet from the Dragons but I am told what was totally off the table six weeks ago is now being discussed internally as to whether they can get Corey back again for a year or two on a reduced wage.

“Certainly his form this year has been excellent and his future prospects in securing a club — whether that be staying at the Dragons or moving on — have been enhanced greatly with a couple of really handy showings.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/85d3351b3d1b28ad9af25473a660b7f8

ALSGI

Bench

Seven months ago, Corey Norman was one of the most criticised halves in the competition. It looked almost certain that he wouldn’t be re-signed by the Dragons when his contract expires at the end of this year.

However, in his first three games of this season, it seems Norman has managed to change some minds at the Red V.

Wide World of Sports reports the 30-year-old is “getting close” to a contract extension, while Ritchie also believes Norman could very well land a new contract with the Dragons — but just like Milford, he’ll have to cop a pay cut.

“If you asked me six weeks ago I would have said he’s probably going to end this year on his $800,000, the dragons won’t re-sign him and Corey will wonder off to another NRL club or maybe even England,” Ritchie said.

“There’s no doubt that Corey Norman would need to take a haircut in terms of his next contract, he might have to accept around $400,000 to $500,000.

“There’s been no movement yet from the Dragons but I am told what was totally off the table six weeks ago is now being discussed internally as to whether they can get Corey back again for a year or two on a reduced wage.

“Certainly his form this year has been excellent and his future prospects in securing a club — whether that be staying at the Dragons or moving on — have been enhanced greatly with a couple of really handy showings.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/85d3351b3d1b28ad9af25473a660b7f8
Lol, Ritchie quoted as Norman’s form this year as excellent.

Really $800k+ excellent?

Yeah I’m starting to grow some love for the guy last few weeks but excellent is a stretch at his price. I’d live to be able to say he IS excellent at some stage because that’s what he’s being paid to do but he’s not been excellent at any stage at Dragons do far.

Dragon David

First Grade

Right on cure as per normal (or norman)!

LINESPEED

Juniors

Hmm
Griff seems to have the Midas touch thus far.

Just to get Corey looking passionate,
growing some bollocks,
& ditching the faberge
& stylist
is quite the sight to behold.
FMD leading even

Has to be one of the great con jobs

Surely this seagull watcher can’t stay focussed

Inconsistency has defined this dude & will silence the whispers

.... unless (FFS) he’s actually playing for Hook

An error-prone fair weather player on his last hurrah after a contract
I cynically suspect

I just don’t buy it

He can’t be allowed to hold up Bud & Co

And he ain’t that good anyway.

Let’s move on Webby

SBD82

Coach

Why are you posting rumours in the boomer thread?

Como Connection

First Grade
Hmm
Griff seems to have the Midas touch thus far.

Just to get Corey looking passionate,
growing some bollocks,
& ditching the faberge
& stylist
is quite the sight to behold.
FMD leading even

Has to be one of the great con jobs

Surely this seagull watcher can’t stay focussed

Inconsistency has defined this dude & will silence the whispers

.... unless (FFS) he’s actually playing for Hook

An error-prone fair weather player on his last hurrah after a contract
I cynically suspect

I just don’t buy it

He can’t be allowed to hold up Bud & Co

And he ain’t that good anyway.

Let’s move on Webby
Playing for Hook I say, and doing an excellent job.
CC