What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
After our complete and utter lack of depth being exposed for all to see this season, I am certainly not so negative about recent signings as others. Our full strength team is decent, and can on a good day beat most teams in the comp. But as we saw this season, all it takes is an injury or two in positions we aren't suited to cover and it can spiral from there. We were already in trouble with this before the BBQ and that just solidified it really.

Aaron Woods has become something of a victim of narrative. Early in his career he was overrated by selectors, which in turn has made the public underrate certain aspects of him. He's a relatively reliable player who is no worse than the majority of our forward pack this year, at bottom dollar. I don't think we've overpaid for any of the players we've signed next year, yes some may turn out to be duds but it's a low risk signing at their prices.

At least we are without our highly paid dud in Corey Norman!
I agree and hold a bit of hope Woods can do a job, particularly if he moved to the gong, which coming from Cronulla is doubtful. Gurgess is a gamble that could be an absolute masterstroke or worst case a depth player. If he is injured significantly I’d say he will be medically retired so probably not a huge risk salary cap wise. I will treat his inclusion as bonus. Molo to me is a mr consistent from what I’ve seen, like Lawrie and is a great signing. All the backrow players will definitely keep Sims on his toes and hopefully give us a good reserve grade squad which will help the players like Sullivan and co should he find himself there develop playing behind a better pack. All in all I think they were the best signings we could have made given the current state of our club and if we had that depth this year we probably play finals.

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree and hold a bit of hope Woods can do a job, particularly if he moved to the gong, which coming from Cronulla is doubtful. Gurgess is a gamble that could be an absolute masterstroke or worst case a depth player. If he is injured significantly I’d say he will be medically retired so probably not a huge risk salary cap wise. I will treat his inclusion as bonus. Molo to me is a mr consistent from what I’ve seen, like Lawrie and is a great signing. All the backrow players will definitely keep Sims on his toes and hopefully give us a good reserve grade squad which will help the players like Sullivan and co should he find himself there develop playing behind a better pack. All in all I think they were the best signings we could have made given the current state of our club and if we had that depth this year we probably play finals.
I think that Hook and Co have given a good deal of thought as to who the Dragons needed to go for with those players that were available and at the right price. We couldn't land the "better" ones but I'm sure that we have a much stronger squad for 2022 and the blending of players that we now have will win us hopefully more games than we lose which hopefully gets us into top 8 contention.

The forwards that we have secured for 2022 may not be everyone's choice but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do and work as a team to be successful.

Like for all clubs, the players will be motivated to win, however, with luck and proper management and fewer misfortunes, we might be in with a good chance at the end of the year..

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
you would have to guess wouldnt you........that 2022 is the stepping stone to a 2023 window?

with so many money ball signings that could go either way ie they could kill it and we level jump into the top 8 and are rightfully fighting for a GF or........many of the players dont jump up to their potential and we make a slower trajectory to a top8

- Bird x 2 ACL recons

- 18 year old FB taking on NRL week to week

- Burgess major corrective hip surgery

- Moga riddled with injuries

- AM recovered well so far after a few years of constant injuries

- Gosiewski same again as Moga

- The moosehead plays half the season due to suspensions

- Suli not really tapped into as yet but could be a world beater if he finds his focus week in week out

- Sullivan and Amone the world is their oyster but unlikely to steer a team into a GF in 2022?

- Woods end of a career but could bring something we need.........the royal flop to slow down the play the ball and fair enough a good offload :)

Last edited:
Off topic a bit but Bennett to be officially announced as Head Coach on 3 year deal this Thursday of the Dolphins.
We literally have a week and a half to get Sullivan signed on a long term extension.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Got my doubts about Burgess lasting a few games let alone a season. A report on news.com.au re his court appearance today has the following:

“The court was told this week that Burgess, who had been suffering debilitating pain from a hip injury, was driving to the pharmacist at the time of the incident.”

possm

Coach
you would have to guess wouldnt you........that 2022 is the stepping stone to a 2023 window?

with so many money ball signings that could go either way ie they could kill it and we level jump into the top 8 and are rightfully fighting for a GF or........many of the players dont jump up to their potential and we make a slower trajectory to a top8

- Bird x 2 ACL recons

- Suli not really tapped into as yet but could be a world beater if he finds his focus week in week out

- Sullivan and Amone the world is their oyster but unlikely to steer a team into a GF in 2022?

- Woods end of a career but could bring something we need.........the royal flop to slow down the play the ball and fair enough a good offload :)
Well after having chats with some St George mad fans last weekend and after giving it all some deep thought, I have come round to the idea that we should go with our young guns until it looks like they are feeling the pinch. So for round one, I'd go with:
1. Sloan
2. Ramsey or Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Sulivan
8. Molo
9. Hunt (c)
10. Burgess
11. Sims
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

14. Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Woods
17. Burns

This of course is predicated upon the good form of these players during
off-sean training and trials.

A spine of Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, and Hunt would have to be our best hope in attack. All that is needed here is for the coaching staff to work on good defensive patterns and instructions on when to use/change them.

I await in anticipation of this spine being a revolution in 2022.

kit66

Bench

- Bird x 2 ACL recons

Moneyball signings ? You mean Dragon-ball signings.
Moneyball signings is what Bellamy does and does so well. Players that nail their KPI's, highly disciplined hard workers that can buy into the Storm culture and follow instructions.

Well after having chats with some St George mad fans last weekend and after giving it all some deep thought, I have come round to the idea that we should go with our young guns until it looks like they are feeling the pinch. So for round one, I'd go with:
1. Sloan
2. Ramsey or Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Sulivan
8. Molo
9. Hunt (c)
10. Burgess
11. Sims
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

14. Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Woods
17. Burns

A spine of Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, and Hunt would have to be our best hope in attack. All that is needed here is for the coaching staff to work on good defensive patterns and instructions on when to use/change them.

You left out Brandon Smith.

mickeylane

Bench
1. Sloan
2. Ramsey or Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Sulivan
8. Molo
9. Hunt (c)
10. Burgess
11. Sims
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

14. Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Woods
17. Burns

I still don’t think Sullivan is a first grade no 7 or at least good enough to take us to the semis…

Gareth67

First Grade

- Bird x 2 ACL recons

Aunty , all that you have suggested could very well come to pass , however this is where the coach himself must earn his money and ensure that these newbies - and our present players for that matter , are told exactly what is expected of them .

He must sit down with every new addition to our team and explain to each that they were not bought simply to fill the 30 spots at our club , nor were they given a contract to see them into retirement.

They play in the Dragon jersey , therefore they give their total commitment to each minute of each game that they play .

At least that is what I would be doing and saying if I was the man in charge . Griffin needs to weld this team of bits and pieces into a working group that is both dependable and capable of producing maximum effort right up to the final siren .

As a coach one could not ask for more .

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Agree re: Fui. Personally I don't understand the level of criticism that got thrown at him in the second half of the season. The level of aggression and power in his tackling was one of the main reasons we started the season so well. Yes he made a couple of errors and his tackling style got caught out by the ridiculous mid season change in interpretation of high and dangerous tackles, but I reckon these things can be coached into him off season (Hopefully same for Rava).

You just can't train that kind of intensity and natural strength. It reminded me a bit of Neville Costigan in 2010. A long way from being the biggest bloke in the team, but hit opposition forwards so hard they just didn't fancy it anymore. I was really pleased when he got his extension. He's a young bloke with a good future, and I would love it if they find a place for him in the 17.
Agree. Looking forward to a more mature player in 2022

BBTB

Juniors
Got my doubts about Burgess lasting a few games let alone a season. A report on news.com.au re his court appearance today has the following:

“The court was told this week that Burgess, who had been suffering debilitating pain from a hip injury, was driving to the pharmacist at the time of the incident.”
A load of Crap....I've had this resurfacing operation...good to go...no pain ,after a week.