What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Puff

First Grade
Geez... I can only say it so many times.
I wasn’t complaining or asking for help. I was letting him know he wasn’t alone.

No need to stress. Your moderating sword and shield can be put away on this occasion.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I wasn’t complaining or asking for help. I was letting him know he wasn’t alone.

No need to stress. Your moderating sword and shield can be put away on this occasion.
I didn't say you were complaining. I was pointing out the right place to discuss this.

You only had to read the very next post to see the link. But easier to do it your way, eh?

And yes, regardless of your intentions, the link is there to assist you. Your opinion about moderating is somewhat skewed.

Puff

First Grade
I didn't say you were complaining. I was pointing out the right place to discuss this.

You only had to read the very next post to see the link. But easier to do it your way, eh?

And yes, regardless of your intentions, the link is there to assist you. Your opinion about moderating is somewhat skewed.
I did read it. And I was letting him know he wasn’t alone.
My word!
Just relax. Moving on nothing to see here

thebigredv

First Grade
This is probably the most likely and most justified route but I reckon Junior and Bud will share the role throughout the year...

May be the case but, all going well, I am happy to see Amone at 6 and Bud at 9 as much as possible. We are going to need every bit of attack we can muster. Mbye to left right out and injury fill. McCulloch to be phased out.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I am pretty sure the virologists and associated sciences around the world have the information they need to keep moving forward. They are all studying the same virus and variants. I don't see the point in drawing up scenarios, just the facts at hand will do me.
The "science" is going alright for us here in Australia. Record numbers of vaccinations but also record numbers of new infections.

Also China's GDP is the highest it's been in a decade.

There is plenty of merit to what Gareth was saying so let the members of the forum express their opinions openly unless you have some scientific facts of your own to bring to the table?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The "science" is going alright for us here in Australia. Record numbers of vaccinations but also record numbers of new infections.

Also China's GDP is the highest it's been in a decade.

There is plenty of merit to what Gareth was saying so let the members of the forum express their opinions openly unless you have some scientific facts of your own to bring to the table?
I am absolutely certain that Gareth is expressing his opinion openly. Equally, it is OK for others to disagree.

I won't speculate on what the GDP has to do with it, but the USA has maintained the highest GDP in the world for some time now.

There is no proof that China has acted deliberately to launch covid on the world. The origins in China are still a point of debate and people have their points of view.
That's not unusual, people are still debating the origins of the Spanish Flu 100 years later - the only thing we know for sure is that it didn't start in Spain.

The record number of new infections is due to changes in government policy and the Omicron variant is a faster spreader.

Vaccinations work.

You are many times more likely to end up in ICU if you are unvaccinated (in QLD it is 24x).
If you're vaccinated, you stand a much greater chance of getting through this.

randomdragon

Juniors
Any clues to what he says?
Paywall.
Pretty much why he signed who he did and where he sees the club at. He mentions that the older forwards are brought in to help the young backline out and he wanted that balance between the experienced forwards and the young backs. Maybe someone can post the article

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Part 1​

NRL 2022 Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on St George Illawarra’s tough questions​

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin responds to criticism of his roster rebuild and the recruitment of a stack of ageing stars.

Anthony Griffin has opened up in a revealing one-on-one interview with Paul Crawley where no subject was off limits.
The no-nonsense St George Illawarra coach tackled every question thrown at him, from parting shots fired from Matt Dufty (who accused Griffin of not allowing him to play the attacking football he is capable of), to criticism of his Dad’s Army-style Dragons rebuild.
Griffin talked openly about what convinced him to sign ageing stars Aaron Woods, George Burgess and Moses Mbye, and why their arrival will ultimately benefit the development of club’s special group of homegrown young guns.
Griffin also revealed why lessons learned from Paul Vaughan’s Covid-busting barbecue last year will make the club stronger in 2022, and why the captaincy has made Ben Hunt a better footballer.
Anthony Griffin opens up ahead of the 2022 season.
Paul Crawley: You’ve had a full season at the club now to have a look around and see what you think needs to change. So how do you see the future going forward from here?
Anthony Griffin: It is really positive. Now, after one season, we have got a good mixture of experience and we have recruited well. But, also, the vital part is being able to produce our own players and that is starting to evolve as well. So as far as building a list and a team that we can start to sustain some success with I think things are looking good.
PC: Some people have been critical of your recruitment in that you have gone and signed a lot of older players, some who may be considered over the hill. But you seem to have gone about it with a specific purpose of getting value for money?
AG: Well, that is the case with someone like Aaron Woods. But, I mean, he is only 30, and he adds great depth. But guys like Jaydn Su’a, who is 24, and Frank Molo, I think is 26 turning 27, and current Origin players, I don’t know if they are over the hill.
PC: Talk about Woodsy, because I know he impressed you when you had your initial chat before he signed. What did he say to convince you he’d be good for the club?

AG: I was just impressed with what he wanted to do. He was still very motivated. He felt he probably hadn’t played his best football over the last few years. He got caught up, obviously, in the Tigers/Bulldogs/Cronulla move, and he is desperate to play well. I think if you have a look at his history he has played 18-odd Test matches, and the same amount of Origins, and like I said, he is only 30 years old.

He didn’t strike me as a guy who had lost his enthusiasm for the game. In fact, he was more convincing the other way. I think he has still has got a lot more to offer and I know he thinks he has got a lot more to offer. Obviously he brings a lot of experience and depth to our forward pack.

PC: What about a guy like Moses Mbye? He went to the Tigers and got paid a big money because he was considered a player with great hope. But he has always been shifted around without never really getting the chance to find a permanent position. How do you want to play him?

AG: Well, that was the attraction with him. Again, Moses is only 27. He has been around for a long time. I think he was playing halfback for the Bulldogs when he was only 18 or 19. But he has played in grand finals, he has played Origin. And he was really brutally honest about his own performances at the Wests Tigers, which you have got to admire.

When I spoke to him, again, he was really driven and he wants to unlock another level of performance out of himself. And the thing I liked the most was that he was really selfless in how he sees that happening. He wasn’t after a guarantee about a position. In fact, he probably sees himself more as that person who can fill a number of roles. And that’s the attraction with him, that he can play nine, seven, six or one, and he has played centre at State of Origin level. And the main thing is we don’t or won’t bring anyone to the club that is not motivated, or doesn’t have a burning desire to win, and that is what I found in him as well.
PC: George Burgess is another one who has done everything in the game but now we find out he has also suffered in silence for years with agonising pain from his hip injury. What have you seen so far and do you think he can get back to his best?

AG: I think so, now after working with him for a couple of months. He is training really well. Obviously it was major surgery, so the performance staff have been really cautious with him. But I think the way he is going at the moment he is a really good chance of playing in the trials, which is his focus. And again, he hasn’t turned 30 yet, and the last five or six years he has sort of played in pain obviously, which no one really realised the extent of it. I can only comment on the last few months since I have known him and he is similar to the previous two guys I spoke about, he is desperate to play at the highest level again, and he wants to prove himself because he feels like he hasn’t been at his best for three or four years. He has been fantastic for our younger players. He has really embraced the club and on and off the field he is looking really good.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Part 2
PC: You throw in guys like Jack de Belin, Josh McGuire, Jack Bird, Blake Lawrie, Tariq Sims, Andrew McCullough. It’s a tough, experienced pack.

AG: Well, potentially. We are not getting ahead of ourselves. Everyone just wants to get through the pre-season. But that was always the focus. It was strategic and we have been patient. You know, Georgie Burgess and Aaron Woods are the last couple we have signed after we got Su’a and Molo and those guys. They came to us at the right time and probably at the right time in their careers where they are still hungry and passionate about their footy.

PC: And there is a bunch of really good youngsters coming through. (Tyrell) Sloan, (Talatau) Amone, (Jayden) Sullivan, the Feagai brothers (Mat and Max).

AG: And (Cody) Ramsey. I mean, Zac Lomax is still only 22. The important thing with that is it is hard for them to develop if they are playing in a team that hasn’t got a strong forward pack. So it was always really important that we build our pack and the size and experience, because if you are going to produce young players through your system they need to be playing on a really solid foundation, because they are going to be inconsistent at times as they are learning over the next two to three years. So you need to balance that inconsistency with a really strong side that gives them the opportunity to make a few bad decisions or have an off day. That has sort of been one of my main focuses. I never wanted or suggested we needed a rebuild, but we needed to add some arsenal to what we already had.

PC: And you haven’t been afraid to make some tough decisions along the way. You made a decision on Cam McInnes, not that you didn’t want to keep him but you had a choice to make in respect to how much the Dragons were willing to pay to keep him. Paul Vaughan was sent packing. Matt Dufty is another that didn’t get a new deal. It’s a tough job but I guess you have to make decisions that you feel are in the best interests of the club.

AG: Just in the year I have been here as a group and a management group with Ben Haran and Ryan Webb, we have got a good relationship and we have developed really well together. We are all aligned with where we are going and clearly we had to change. The club hadn’t been successful and so that is just business. You have a look at the Bulldogs at the moment. They are changing every month with their list. But you have got to be in that mode. Obviously there is a performance change and a system change with the way you go about your business, but there has also got to be some roster change both internally and bringing people from outside in that you think can represent your club well.

PC: How disappointed were you with the barbecue at Vaughany’s, how much did that rock your season, because you were in the eight at that point and I don’t think you won another game after?

AG: No, we didn’t. We were in the top eight for 18 of the 24 weeks. So it was obviously disappointing, and everyone at the club was disappointed. The players involved and right through. But we have to use that experience now as a lesson going forward and I suppose an opportunity to build a stronger standard within the club. The hardest thing was not being able to win a couple of football games, but in hindsight I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and that might be a strength now that we can draw on. The fact that we went through that and it has made us hungrier.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Part 3
PC: I mentioned Dufty. He had a crack at you publicly, talking about the fact you wouldn’t let him play his style of attacking football. Is that the reality of it or not?

AG: Matt is entitled to what he says. There is a lot of reasons throughout a year when you are working with players that you can get a performance out of them or you can’t. Some of that you have got to take responsibility for yourself as a coach and as a club when a player doesn’t work out. But I have no problem with Matt. He did a great job for our club. He had been a junior and played a lot of football. But the reasons for us not wanting him had nothing to do with when he had the ball in his hands. It was the other way. And he understands that, and I think anyone that watches football would understand that. But he is entitled to his own opinion.

PC: What about the options you have for fullback. Young Sloan has obviously got exceptional talent. Is he ready to be a starting No. 1 for a full NRL season?

AG: Guys like him and Ramsey, who has had a few more games. But they are obviously guys we are looking long term to be in those positions, and we are working really constantly with them at the moment both on and off the field with their education in that area. They are both doing well, physically. They are growing. They are both nearly 90kg. So you just don’t know. They are young and they are inexperienced. So that is what I was getting at before. We need to build a strong side around guys like that. But it is a real key position, particularly over the last five or six years with the way the fullback position has evolved. There is a lot of strategy, and being able to read play both with and without the ball. So we are working as a coaching staff really hard on that education for them. Whether Sloany or Cody nail that position down, all I can say is that we will give them every opportunity. I think long term they will, we will just need to wait and see for this year.

PC What about the young halves, you’ve got two rising stars in Sullivan and Amone. How do you plan out their future? Sullivan has also played some dummy half.

AG: Sully did a great job last year at nine, and Junior jumped in and took his chance the first time we gave him a go at five-eighth. He came off the bench I think about two weeks after the SG Ball grand final and sort of stayed in the side filling in at lock and centre and places like that. But as soon as we stuck him in at five-eighth he showed a bit of class so he stayed there for the rest of the year.

But Jayden is a really gifted player as well. He struggled with injury for the most of last year which probably didn’t help him. He didn’t actually start playing footy until midway through the year. They are both exciting. And with Ben Hunt, with the captaincy on his shoulders, had one of the best seasons he’s probably had, even though we would have like him to be on the field a bit longer. I think he was only there for 14 or 15 games but between the three of those guys and Moses Mbye and Jack Bird, who can also play in the halves, we are really well stocked.

PC: Ben Hunt has showed tremendous character. Not many players have copped it more in recent years, and the way he has fought back and won a lot of respect is a credit to him.

AG: I mean, you just have to see what he did in the third State of Origin. They threw him in at hooker and he played 80 minutes and got man of the match. He has had some obstacles over his career, which we all have. But it just gives you an insight into the mental toughness of the guy. And, also, he is just a really good person. You give him the captaincy and even though it might have been not what he was thinking of when he started the year – we all thought Cam (McInnes) was going to be our captain but then he got hurt – so you give it to Ben Hunt and he grabbed it and did a great job, to the point where now he is really entrenched in that role.
And I think having that extra responsibility has brought out the best in him. It is probably one of the reasons he has played so well, because he takes it really seriously, the fact he is a leader of our club.