What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Rocket Rod

Juniors
59 for me, although being from Italian heritage my father was soccer mad as I am as well. He refused to take me to watch rugby league live so I fell in love with the red v on black and white tv.
The first match I ever went to on my own was the 1967 major semi v Souths. We lost 13-8 I was gutted. I followed up the following week in prelim final v berries and we lost 12-11. I thought I jinxed them as they were supposed to be invincible.haaa
I still watch most of their matches and have enjoyed all their eras.

ingles

Juniors
I'm impressed ... not just that we are all so rusted on to the Dragons , but moreso that we are still capable of using this modern technology.
For the life of me though, I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had had smartphones and all this social media access back then .
Dragons history might have been significantly different 🤔

Mojo

Bench
I'm impressed ... not just that we are all so rusted on to the Dragons , but moreso that we are still capable of using this modern technology.
For the life of me though, I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had had smartphones and all this social media access back then .
Dragons history might have been significantly different 🤔
Yes, huge crowds at local grounds and teams that really represented their area, made the game a powerful, generational, cultural experience. I remember men, women and children coming from all directions to Jubilee to cheer-on all three grades on game day. I went to Marist Brothers Kogarah, where the real religion was rugby league. We lived and breathed the game and, notably I think, we genuinely celebrated good sportsmanship, above all.

ingles

Juniors
Yes, huge crowds at local grounds and teams that really represented their area, made the game a powerful, generational, cultural experience. I remember men, women and children coming from all directions to Jubilee to cheer-on all three grades on game day. I went to Marist Brothers Kogarah, where the real religion was rugby league. We lived and breathed the game and, notably I think, we genuinely celebrated good sportsmanship, above all.,
I was / am a "blow-in" , lol.
I played my first game as a 5 year old in 1960 , for Guildford in the Parramatta district.
That weekend Balmain - my parents' team because my uncle Ron Battye played for them in the early 50's- played St George . It was the first game I listened to on the radio , and as all children do , I barracked for the opposite team .... and that was how it all began .
First games I remember going to was as a 10 year old ...me and a couple of kids from my footy team jumped onto the train from Guildford into the city , then up the hill to the SCG for the match of the day - which 9 times out of 10 involved the mighty Dragons - to sit on the upper level of the Noble stand with many other Dragons fans who similarly came from all over Sydney .
10 year olds could actually do that kind of trip reasonably safely back then .
I made my first of MANY trips to Kogarah a few years later and continued to do so until well into my 20's when life , sport and work started to limit my opportunities to go to games.
I married into a large , rabid family of Parramatta supporters, and despite their massive obvious deficiencies , have managed to survive that now for 34 years . The secret is that they know how rusted on I am , so gave up many years ago trying to get me to "convert" to Parramatta .
Sadly , neither of my adult children have any interest in league , so I will have to wait for grand kids to pass on the passion for the Dragons .
Can't wait to watch these young guys go round this year !!!!

bretA

Juniors
I was / am a "blow-in" , lol.
I played my first game as a 5 year old in 1960 , for Guildford in the Parramatta district.
That weekend Balmain - my parents' team because my uncle Ron Battye played for them in the early 50's- played St George . It was the first game I listened to on the radio , and as all children do , I barracked for the opposite team .... and that was how it all began .
First games I remember going to was as a 10 year old ...me and a couple of kids from my footy team jumped onto the train from Guildford into the city , then up the hill to the SCG for the match of the day - which 9 times out of 10 involved the mighty Dragons - to sit on the upper level of the Noble stand with many other Dragons fans who similarly came from all over Sydney .
10 year olds could actually do that kind of trip reasonably safely back then .
I made my first of MANY trips to Kogarah a few years later and continued to do so until well into my 20's when life , sport and work started to limit my opportunities to go to games.
I married into a large , rabid family of Parramatta supporters, and despite their massive obvious deficiencies , have managed to survive that now for 34 years . The secret is that they know how rusted on I am , so gave up many years ago trying to get me to "convert" to Parramatta .
Sadly , neither of my adult children have any interest in league , so I will have to wait for grand kids to pass on the passion for the Dragons .
Can't wait to watch these young guys go round this year !!!!

The only one? I bet not. Perhaps sometimes my passion for the RedV gets in the way of reason.
A question who here has been supporting the Dragons for 55 years.. like moir.