What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Gus is too smart will want us to sign Hunt, knowing that Sullivan may be available, don't 'believe what he says he has ulterior motives that would benefit the Dogs, make a noise about Dragons need to sign Hunt then swoop on Sullivan who potentially could be a 10 year 1st grade halfback..

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Gus is too smart will want us to sign Hunt, knowing that Sullivan may be available, don't 'believe what he says he has ulterior motives that would benefit the Dogs, make a noise about Dragons need to sign Hunt then swoop on Sullivan who potentially could be a 10 year 1st grade halfback..
Dead right. Our management are stupid enough to fall for it as well

denis preston

First Grade
I am continually surprised when people genuinely think that we will retain Sullivan. I mean this is the Dragons. We went from having McInnes and Robson, to an over the hill McCullough in the space of 18 months.

Whether we like it or not, the Dogs now have an up and coming coach & Gus is a big draw card no matter what you think of him.

What worries me more is Gus saying he knows what Ben Hunt wants ($875k). I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a nibble. Gus did bag the Saints in 2017 when we signed him though.
Retain ? He is retained since last years contract renewal .

Maddragon99

Juniors
I have mixed feelings about retaining Hunt or not. In one sense he’s been playing very well & uninjured but the club will have to move on from Hunt at some point. Sullivan is a very fine prospect & deserves a chance.

Retaining Hunt & playing him at Hooker seams like a reasonable compromise but does anyone believe Griffin would do this?

Dragon Blood

Juniors
you fools really believe that guy? what would a bulldogs supporter be doing at a dragons vs titans game? what would his family be doing discussing him wearing bulldogs colours at a dragons game?

First thing I thought too when I read the dribble randomdargon, been a bit busy to comment the last few days.
Plus a bulldogs fan in Wollongong????? WTF.....????

Don't most bullgrub fans need a special permit to attend games outside their LGA?

I was told that one by one of their supporters!!! 🤣

Last edited:

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I have mixed feelings about retaining Hunt or not. In one sense he’s been playing very well & uninjured but the club will have to move on from Hunt at some point. Sullivan is a very fine prospect & deserves a chance.

Retaining Hunt & playing him at Hooker seams like a reasonable compromise but does anyone believe Griffin would do thi
Steady on the keyboard warrior stuff mate. Your personal insults should be directed at management if you dont like the way things are going. Hunt will go for the best deal he can get or may even play for less to stay at Dragons.

Maddragon, I 100% agree with you but as per Mr dp above and his 12 disciples, I have labeled as a "keyboard warrior", because I think both ((Captian)C)Hunt and Hook are playing games with our dopey..useless, incompetent, ancient relic, fossilized BOD and holding the club at ransom at the risk of losing our best young talent to come through in years.
Our current (C)Hunt is being 100% selfish by demanding that he will only play 7 at the detriment of our youth progressing and if only Hook remains as coach because they have some weird love affair back in the Bonko days and he wants to preserve his body to earn more money at another club after he has F'd us over for the next 1-4 years at top dollar. Not a keyboard warrior, just calling it as I see it Mr dp!!!! It's a public forum and I think I'm able to freely express my thoughts, feelings, and frustrations!!

Again seems like someone from the Club is reading our frustrations again ....because.... they have thought about the possibilities I will mention below and offered (C)Hunt a fair and reasonable offer beyond 2023 in comparison to the success he has benefitted to our club at $1.2Mil since wearing the Red V jumper.

Yeah it's a 50/50 call on (C)Hunt v's Sullivan for regular # 7 jumper. In 2021 Hunt had a few broken bones and didn't play as many games etc, same for Sullivan in 2022 with hammy and shoulder issues.

Poor team coaching and juniors' management haven't helped Sullivan this year. So what is the chance maybe a hypothetical, (C)Hunt of suffering a long-term injury (he is aging) in round 1 of 2023 and throwing in Sullivan with very little mismanaged NRL experience and match fitness during 2022 in 2023 at 7? What's the chance that Sullivan lives up to all the hype and is a complete dud? From what I saw in 60mins on replay on Sunday arvo, if I was a betting man I would put my money on Option 2... Invest in the future, because I cant see us winning a comp with selfish (C)Hunt @ #7 and losing our young talent to other clubs I despise.

Piss em both off I reckon, Hook after round 25 in Sept 22, then bring in a hard-assed, my way of reserve grade kinda coach that tells (C)Hunt he is the 9 for season 23 before Nov 1 @ $600-700K as reported, if he still wants to wear the most famous RL jersey in the world then suck it up, if not take your selfishness and arrogance and way inflated $$$$$ tag somewhere else.

Seriously our return on investment has been SFA thus far with (C)Hunt and I only blame the BOD if he is extended which will stuff the salary cap, juniors, and the club moving forward for many many many many many years to come.
We're going backward instead of moving forward to winning another comp in the next 10, 15, 20, 30 years with him on the books for the next 1-4 years.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
All the negative carry on about Hook in relation to his dealings with Hunt seems to be nullified by the reported so called “low ball” offer made to retain Hunt.

If the rumour about the offer of circa $700k is correct then good on Hook for not paying overs as the number suggested to keep him by so called “those in the know” needs to be $850k.

Hook is many things but so far I have not seen him fritter our money away on expensive over payments.

denis preston

First Grade
Maddragon, I 100% agree with you but as per Mr dp above and his 12 disciples, I have labeled as a "keyboard warrior", because I think both ((Captian)C)Hunt and Hook are playing games with our dopey..useless, incompetent, ancient relic, fossilized BOD and holding the club at ransom at the risk of losing our best young talent to come through in years.
Our current (C)Hunt is being 100% selfish by demanding that he will only play 7 at the detriment of our youth progressing and if only Hook remains as coach because they have some weird love affair back in the Bonko days and he wants to preserve his body to earn more money at another club after he has F'd us over for the next 1-4 years at top dollar. Not a keyboard warrior, just calling it as I see it Mr dp!!!! It's a public forum and I think I'm able to freely express my thoughts, feelings, and frustrations!!

Again seems like someone from the Club is reading our frustrations again ....because.... they have thought about the possibilities I will mention below and offered (C)Hunt a fair and reasonable offer beyond 2023 in comparison to the success he has benefitted to our club at $1.2Mil since wearing the Red V jumper.

Yeah it's a 50/50 call on (C)Hunt v's Sullivan for regular # 7 jumper. In 2021 Hunt had a few broken bones and didn't play as many games etc, same for Sullivan in 2022 with hammy and shoulder issues.

Poor team coaching and juniors' management haven't helped Sullivan this year. So what is the chance maybe a hypothetical, (C)Hunt of suffering a long-term injury (he is aging) in round 1 of 2023 and throwing in Sullivan with very little mismanaged NRL experience and match fitness during 2022 in 2023 at 7? What's the chance that Sullivan lives up to all the hype and is a complete dud? From what I saw in 60mins on replay on Sunday arvo, if I was a betting man I would put my money on Option 2... Invest in the future, because I cant see us winning a comp with selfish (C)Hunt @ #7 and losing our young talent to other clubs I despise.

Piss em both off I reckon, Hook after round 25 in Sept 22, then bring in a hard-assed, my way of reserve grade kinda coach that tells (C)Hunt he is the 9 for season 23 before Nov 1 @ $600-700K as reported, if he still wants to wear the most famous RL jersey in the world then suck it up, if not take your selfishness and arrogance and way inflated $$$$$ tag somewhere else.

Seriously our return on investment has been SFA thus far with (C)Hunt and I only blame the BOD if he is extended which will stuff the salary cap, juniors, and the club moving forward for many many many many many years to come.
We're going backward instead of moving forward to winning another comp in the next 10, 15, 20, 30 years with him on the books for the next 1-4 years.
In think most on here would agree with you myself included but you cant blame the player from getting the best deal he can. It all starts and finishes with the Board in approving whatever deal we offer Hunt and their desire to fully support the Pathways program. Again the media is forgetting that we have Hunt next season so when does the wear & tear start to take effect on his body , which it surely will ? Any agreement with Hunt has to assume playing any position , just like it is with 99% of all other contracts. If he doesn't like it hold him to 2023 to mentor Bud and let him make other plans from then on.

18to87

First Grade

You're entitled to your opinion but the Hunt hate is getting way over the top. He has to look out for his family. Everyone here would do the same if in his shoes. You have the board and co upstairs to hate way more than Hunt. If they had a clue, this wouldn't be playing out this way. I'd also say that guys like Thurston and Cronk would have struggled under Mary, and things haven't been much better under Hook.

Budpower

Juniors
the bottom line is that we cannot have our equal best junior (along with Junior and Codes) from OUR club who BLEEDS red and white, forced to leave due to an ageing outsider not from here (Hunt) in all respect to him, GREAT as he is for us and has been for us, we CANNOT let Bud go specially in such a crucial position as half for us! weve had so little halves, genuine halves in 30 years we cant let Bud go then star for another club for 15 years smashing us each time we play with some other, crappy half weve picked up whos hearts not in it as he dont bleed red n white, for years bumbling round as we have for decades....even our last premiership winning half was a fullback! the other thing we CANNOT let happen is 2 OUTSIDERS force the poor local genius junior out... Hunt n Hook, NO! WE NEED OUR JUNIORS WITH THE PASSION FOR THE JERSEY....then we might be the next Penrith. Hunt MUST do the right thing as a man of honour now and let Bud take over, its the right thing to do for the club, for our future, we can totally REBUILD AND RE RISE only with juniors...and the best of the best are Bud and Junior....they both must be given a chance to keep that magic combo they have!

BLM01

First Grade
Panthers also looking to off load Spencer Leniu and Charlie Stains to hold onto Martin
Leniu in particular well worth thought .Tough and uncompromising
Martin however would be a prime signing
I would take all 3
Reason: The 2022 off contract list is pretty bare of any decent quality
The list is not fully up to date as some of the better players have already been signed
Dont expect anyone great for next year unless their is a contract broken

Dragons4me

Juniors
On NRL 360 they were talking about how the Cheese took a pay cut to go from The Storm to The Roosters

Even they were having a laugh.
Yeah!
I happened to record the show and the above discussion about the cheeses 2023 Roosters contract ended like this.
Buzz: So what's he on then Reidy? What do you say he's on?
Reidy: Wasn't it reported 7 or 800 thousand? Wasn't that the reported figure?
Anasta: Yeah. Alright (appearing to want to move onto the next topic).
A smirk quickly appears on Kents face and quick as a flash Kent asks "What's he driving?"
Anasta laughs.

Last edited:

Latest posts