What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
No, but what I'm saying is that you can't trust everything that is written.

I mean, have you yourself seen these players playing? Their names haven't been mentioned anywhere except in that article. Suddenly they are guns and they are our future walking out the door? FMD. This stuff happens at every club but we react like it's the end of the world in here. Just the sort of response the Mole is looking for.

Fair enough and you're probably right. Fortunately we haven't lost gun players like Aaron Woods, George Burgess and Andrew McCullough. Our future is secure.

Dragsters

First Grade
This media sensationalism will be with us all off season for every little thing, the media sharks can smell blood in the water and will keep any story going just to keep sinking the boot into the Dragons. Of course updates from the club on a regular basis would silence things, but as we all know the Dragons work in mysterious ways !!! you could say its self inflicted.

Until we punt the coach...

True_Believer

Juniors
Re The Mole's article

If we have Sullivan, Sloan, Amone, Feagai, Feagai, Ramsey, Suli, Lomax and several others that have been hyped up then the pathway at Canberra with their ageing roster and a couple of "depths" playing 1st grade looks a good option for them.

The shit only hits the fan if the above leave and even then the names in the article by The Mole aren't the one's that people have said are lining up behind our current crop.

Didn't we have a couple of "guns" from Thirroul leave and join the Panthers a year or 2 ago and everyone said we will regret losing them?

Last but no least if people think Flanno is the real deal and should be coaching 1st grade then nothing to see here.

Not to mention the supposed comments are from Illawarra - bagging the Dragons. There's no love lost between the two clubs even though it's meant to be a joint venture.

RedVee_8

Juniors
So a thought from left field. When a player declines to extend his/her stay with a footy club, would they conduct an ‘exit interview’ like businesses do?

I expect not, but it might prove illuminating

qld redvee

Juniors
Re The Mole's article

If we have Sullivan, Sloan, Amone, Feagai, Feagai, Ramsey, Suli, Lomax and several others that have been hyped up then the pathway at Canberra with their ageing roster and a couple of "depths" playing 1st grade looks a good option for them.

The shit only hits the fan if the above leave and even then the names in the article by The Mole aren't the one's that people have said are lining up behind our current crop.

Didn't we have a couple of "guns" from Thirroul leave and join the Panthers a year or 2 ago and everyone said we will regret losing them?

Last but no least if people think Flanno is the real deal and should be coaching 1st grade then nothing to see here.
Old Timer ,
only problem with losing these players is it 'leaves" a hole in the above grades where these players would technically transition to . That means that instead of having a junior built club we have to once again go out and buy players to fill the holes . Now if our pathways system was more "professional and working like a charm " then the production line ( aka penrith) would probably not notice these players leaving .
And to your last point re flanno - as list management he seems well and truly out of his depth based on results so far

Old Timer

Coach
Old Timer ,
only problem with losing these players is it 'leaves" a hole in the above grades where these players would technically transition to . That means that instead of having a junior built club we have to once again go out and buy players to fill the holes . Now if our pathways system was more "professional and working like a charm " then the production line ( aka penrith) would probably not notice these players leaving .
And to your last point re flanno - as list management he seems well and truly out of his depth based on results so far
For every vacancy their is always an applicant some good some bad.

For all the talk about the vastness of the Illawarra junior catchment losing 5-7 players who are all behind players just a year or 2 older than them should present little more than a minor blip on our radar.

Many a club with far less than us re juniors doing far better than us at senior level.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt in that!

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Cant understand this Dean Young love yet. He wont be ready IMO. Forget him ATM, we need more.
He has just started his real apprenticeship under a rookie head coach and of course some time under our previous whiteboard operator learning how to talk your resume up.
He needs more time. Look how long these other new head coaches have spent as assistants under good coaches at successful clubs before they are ready.
Very few long term assistants who have been media touted as "ready " to step up have been successful.
Maybe Payten will Yes and Fitzy (see how he goes next year) will prove they were. Many have not.
Seibold and O'Brien are classic examples of not transitioning that well and plenty of other so called great assistants are now on the HC scrap heap like Brennan, Madge?, Price, McFadden, Kearney etc
I’m not sure it’s Dean Young love. I think it’s more from many a resignation that this seems to be the plan. With Craig Young wielding power he will bring his son back in 2024 or sooner if Hook can’t get early results. It may appear that Hook was always to be a stop gap, the “ experienced coach” who would shore up the ship while Young gets experience at the Cowboys and then return. No intel just an observation

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not sure it’s Dean Young love. I think it’s more from many a resignation that this seems to be the plan. With Craig Young wielding power he will bring his son back in 2024 or sooner if Hook can’t get early results. It may appear that Hook was always to be a stop gap, the “ experienced coach” who would shore up the ship while Young gets experience at the Cowboys and then return. No intel just an observation
I hope your wrong for the short term anyway

slippery5

Juniors
Not sure what will change if Hook gets punted, Hunt has been signed and is currently the best No.7 we have.
The only answer is for Sullivan to get to work and play so well that it puts pressure for the position in 2024.
I doubt any club would put Sullivan straight in as the 1st choice halfback in 2023 at least.

Still only conjecture if there is a guarantee to Hunt that he won't be asked to move to No.9 from 2024.
No point preserving your career when you are already 35 otherwise tell them you want a bench spot and limited minutes.

On Flanagan, it seems to me that he hasn't been considered for a head coach position because all the credit for his past success is attributed to peptides and cap rorting....but of course the cap was ok the year they won, not the year before and not the year after.

All clubs should think carefully before reaching out to Gould. He was asked to come in and do a review as a friend and now he is causing trouble and unrest with our roster

Shore up the ship ???????????????????????????????

Yow

Juniors
Old Timer ,
Remember we supply 2 SG Ball and 2 HM teams not all are going to make it

Crush

Coach
Absolutely loving the media pile on, it won’t be long now. Hooks career will be over, this time for good. All he had when coming to Dragons was his record of getting teams into finals, well that hasn’t happened, and it ain’t likely to happen anytime soon!
This latest story about the 18 year olds going to Canberra is a nothing story but it’s more pressure all the same, and I love it!

possm

Coach
Absolutely loving the media pile on, it won’t be long now. Hooks career will be over, this time for good. All he had when coming to Dragons was his record of getting teams into finals, well that hasn’t happened, and it ain’t likely to happen anytime soon!
This latest story about the 18 year olds going to Canberra is a nothing story but it’s more pressure all the same, and I love it!
The core problem needs to be addressed. How is it that the Dragons can invest so much time and money into players, only to see them move to another club prior to play at NRL level?

For me the answer is simple. Baining clubs should pay a transfer fee in order to compensate the development club.

Gareth67

First Grade
The core problem needs to be addressed. How is it that the Dragons can invest so much time and money into players, only to see them move to another club prior to play at NRL level?

For me the answer is simple. Baining clubs should pay a transfer fee in order to compensate the development club.
I agree with you on this possum , I believe that the club should be reimbursed financially as perhaps it will make other clubs think twice before poaching a team’s juniors .

Also there are 2 players that I most sincerely hope that the Dragons have locked up and they are Shalom O’foua and Corey Ackers both extremely talented individuals .

Crush

Coach

The coaching staff are at fault. They don’t pick them. Sullivan and Sloan are asking for release because they don’t feel they are getting the opportunities that they’ll get at other clubs.
It was the same for Robson, Garrick, they felt they were being overlooked by the coaches in favour of, well, the coaches favourites.
We need to employ better coaches that have an eye for talent and appreciate that they cannot play favourites with their mates such as Mbye, McCulloch.

Parko1310

Juniors
So this mornings SMH has an article that the NRL want to give outside cap payments to players involved in the semifinal series.

Another reason for players to take ‘unders’ to stay at successful clubs.

Hahahah. F**k me. So now clubs that are pretty much guaranteed deep finals runs can save around 20k per player in their cap, with the promise that any given signed player will get an extra 16k at the end of the year anyway. What a terrible idea.

Murraymob1

Juniors
So this mornings SMH has an article that the NRL want to give outside cap payments to players involved in the semifinal series.

Another reason for players to take ‘unders’ to stay at successful clubs.

Dumb idea the easier solution is to give cap concession to clubs who bring through juniors.you will then see clubs investing more in the bush and there own areas .By juniors I mean any kid from SGBalk up they don’t have be locally produced