What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

loulash

Juniors
So with all that investment by the Storm why wasn't he retained and working in rotation with Harry Grant especially now that Cheese is at the Roosters?

Storm had plenty of opportunity to advance his cause and they chose not to any idea why?

Having been at the Storm seems to make some people think that such players will be instant success stories.
Wanted a clearer path to first grade which he wasn’t going to get at Melbourne.

qld redvee

Juniors
So with all that investment by the Storm why wasn't he retained and working in rotation with Harry Grant especially now that Cheese is at the Roosters?

Storm had plenty of opportunity to advance his cause and they chose not to any idea why?

Having been at the Storm seems to make some people think that such players will be instant success stories.
We made an offer to both brothers which may have been enough to get them across the line - maybe someone in the know can enlighten us.
storm sent them both up to one of there feeder teams in q cup to progress
and agree re "belief ' in storm system we have had a few players that have never stepped up from the storm hopefully this kid could be different . lets just hope that our talent scout got it right this time

blacksafake

First Grade

Especially when Wishart was used ahead of him.

Rod Coil

Juniors

Yep OT, Josh Kerr comes to mind. From the Storm system & still yet to establish himself as a regular First Grader.

possm

Coach
Hey guys, new poster here but have some inside sources at the club whom i’ve gotten good mail off so thought i’d share here. We are still going hard for David Fifita formed a good bond with Ben Hunt in the QLD camp so hoping to use it as leverage to get him here club is offering him 1 mill a season over 4 years.

Club have also offered NAS from Melbourne a lucrative offer to try & get him over here talks are in early stages but.

We’ve been talking with Nathan Browns management to try & get an immediate release to join us with a deal running through till 2025 which Parramatta are willing to do.

The club are also looking at potentially making an offer for Luke Brooks who is off contract at the end of the year should things not work out at Wests this year, he is good mates with Mbye, Lids & Woodsy & club see him & Hunt working together very nicely.
Love to see us land Fifita and Brown. Not really interested in seeing us land Brooks. Sullivan and Amone if available are our future. But if Sullivan has an injury-prone season and Amone becomes unavailable, I suppose we will need to look for a replacement.

I believe we have a couple of good young halves coming through so maybe this will be the way we go.

possm

Coach
I mean if hook is getting all this done and it comes to fruition and then we have a good season where we make finals, is hook still the bad guy? Does he then get hooked? Would we have any better options for his replacement?
In the past, when deals have been done, it really does not matter what is in the best interest of the Club.

I really can't see Dean Young attracting any great players to the club and I also can't see him getting the best out of players like Fifita.

The Word

Juniors
Hey guys, new poster here but have some inside sources at the club whom i’ve gotten good mail off so thought i’d share here. We are still going hard for David Fifita formed a good bond with Ben Hunt in the QLD camp so hoping to use it as leverage to get him here club is offering him 1 mill a season over 4 years.

Club have also offered NAS from Melbourne a lucrative offer to try & get him over here talks are in early stages but.

We’ve been talking with Nathan Browns management to try & get an immediate release to join us with a deal running through till 2025 which Parramatta are willing to do.

The club are also looking at potentially making an offer for Luke Brooks who is off contract at the end of the year should things not work out at Wests this year, he is good mates with Mbye, Lids & Woodsy & club see him & Hunt working together very nicely.
Welcome loulash. Wow real impact post. Whether these deals come off or not, would be great to imagine the club is being pro active in terms of improving the squad.

My understanding is that there are still 3 spots up for grabs. I'm not sure if we get an extra spot for Amone under the no fault stand down or if it just relates to salary cap? Any half decent attempt at adding up tells us that we are at least $2.5M under the cap.

Therefore it makes sense the club is in discussions because we have the spots plus the cash.

A couple of high quality forwards plus depth in the halves makes sense. Not sure signing an established half makes sense given we are hoping to establish Bud rather than block him, however it never hurts to have depth.

Either way, your post got my adrenaline going again, it's been a bit doom and gloom lately. Can't wait for the season to start.

possm

Coach
Some of your points are valid, but he came here with the promise of having discipline and defence back in order, I think they were his major KPI's, we have failed dismally in both, as a matter of fact we were the worst in the League for defence.
Completely agree with the defence but last season we did not have a problem scoring. We did have a match discipline problem but that should be better because Maguire, sims and Burgess won’t be here(High tackles)etc. We had the most missed tackles of any club which Peter gentle was also responsible for. All I’m trying to say is that’s it’s not always just the coach that need to be held accountable. The deficiencies were our assistant coaches especially Peter gentle. They rectified that issue by bringing in an experienced attacking coach and a better defensive coach in woolfe. If this year we cannot make the finals then we can talk about the coach not being the right one.
If we can improve our forward pack, I'd be confident in the Dragons making the 8. Fifita is what we are missing and a good prop would really help us compete.

I still prefer De Belin at lock but if we do not land a prop, he is the most obvious player to fill the void. However, a back 3 of Fifita, Su'A and De Belin could match it with any pack in the competition.

possm

Coach
Despite all the press saying Fifita to the Raiders, he still is unsigned and so, I am in hope that we sign him. We really need him in our backrow.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I have a feeling that W fafita is not signed for 2024 and 25?

With them just adding Paseka longer term and all their money in Jake and a few others u would guess he could be a very good target for 2024

Could play lock role also like a JT, TINO etc but obviously not at they level yet

Maybe we were making it hard for manly to keep him?

David and William Fafita joining would be a serious 2 additions

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If we had to cap wise would we best letting JDB move on of a club could the majority of his PO for 2024?

If.....we could pick up both Fafitas ?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Thats why I worry about players like Sullivan and Sloan, will the attacking flair be coached out of them, lets hope not, will they want to take risks, look at Penrith across all the grades, wonderful attacking entertaining footy with no consequences if you make a mistake.
Yep- and different game admittedly but we've seen the transformation of England's Test Cricket (so far) as a result of Bazball and the team encouraged to take risks while scoring quickly. They bat like it's a 20/20 game and it's working for them by giving them time to push for declarations and take 20 wickets.

The pre-season rules favour offloads and I'm not sure they're in Hook's high completion DNA. Interesting to see if he picks forwards with those skills when the season starts. Time will tell.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Welcome Loulash but it's very much a guarded welcome. I'm probably one of the most "senior"- read ancient- posters on this forum and your positive post reminded me of a 1956 film that I saw many years after its initial release. Burt Lancaster starred as a silver-tongued conman who comes to a mid-western farming community devastated by long-term drought promising that he will be able to make it rain- for a fee of course.

Please don't think that I'm accusing you of conning us but you've no doubt picked up that us posters are not devastated by drought- more by the continual failure at every level of this once great club year after year.

I'm like St Thomas- I will believe these signings (particularly NAS and Fifita) when they happen. But thank you for the positive vibe.

Latest posts