What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

justadragon

Bench
SMH mention this morning that “Griffin was unhappy with Sully’s defence in the first quarter.”
He was off the field for half of that! And it was for making a tackle when the Cowboys had broken through. I call BS.

Also. Same article “Dragons have not seriously considered Cheika…”

It was total BS, 100% agree RV8, I think hunt had only made 18 tackles. As the media has said it was just criminal. I dont mind not going for Cheika, I really think we need someone who is in the RL system to fix our mess.

justadragon

Bench
Looks like Bellamy is staying in Melbourne:

Here is a copy paste of the article:

Craig Bellamy will coach the Storm for a 22nd season, informing the club he cannot yet retire from the game he loves.
“I’ve done a 180-degree turnaround,” he said after a month of soul-searching. “Things have got a bit testy over the past few weeks but I finally decided to coach on for another season in Melbourne.

Melbourne Storm host the Brisbane Broncos in Round 11 of the 2023 NRL Premiership.
“Eight weeks ago I was gone. Finished. But I’ve been speaking to a lot of blokes about retiring and I came to realise you are a long time retired.”
The 63-year-old, who told the club of his decision late on Sunday, said the bond with his players was hard to break.

“The relationship with the players is important to me. I enjoy that part of it,” he said. “The players have been really good to coach this year.”
The Storm are fifth on the ladder but have a relatively young pack of forwards, having lost half their starting six to rival clubs at the end of 2022.

Craig Bellamy will continue in the coaches’ box for another year.
Next year will be the first time Bellamy has retained all the players he wants, after two decades of losing top stars to rivals. Almost all those players who left came to Melbourne as 18 years olds, and many became internationals.
With the Storm membership of more than 40,000 the highest in the NRL, Bellamy has built a club based on pride, pragmatism and parochialism in an AFL city.

He informed chairman Matt Tripp and football manager Frank Ponissi of his decision on Sunday evening and told the Storm players when they arrived at training on Monday.
The Bellamy-Ponissi partnership is one of the most successful and enduring in the NRL.
“Next year will be my 16th season with Craig,” Ponissi said. “I am absolutely delighted he is going again.
“Last November, while we were in Glasgow visiting Ange Postecoglou at Celtic, Craig told me in confidence 2023 would be his last season. He was adamant. Whilst I fully respected his decision, I couldn’t understand it because he was coaching as well and as effectively as he ever has while I have been with him. It’s tremendous for the club that he has changed his mind.”
Bellamy’s 2022 to 2026 contract allows him to inform the club by round one whether he will continue as head coach the following year or move to the position of coaching director.
Well then looks like Ryles is good to go !!!

RedVee_8

Juniors
Hilarious. I presume that means he thinks the rest of the teams woeful defence (which has defined the Griffin era) was fine. He’s a moron.
Yep. Then to compound things once we got closer the Griff didn’t bring him back in to 1. “Rest Mbye” and 2. Spark some attack. Is it correct that we finished with a spare interchange available?
Didn’t matter in the end thanks to the very expensive drops by (I think) Bird & Suli that cost us a couple more tries.

justadragon

Bench
Yep. Then to compound things once we got closer the Griff didn’t bring him back in to 1. “Rest Mbye” and 2. Spark some attack. Is it correct that we finished with a spare interchange available?
Didn’t matter in the end thanks to the very expensive drops by (I think) Bird & Suli that cost us a couple more tries.
I'm not sure about the spare interchange, but I think he wasted one by bringing Mbye on instead of Sullivan.

twinkletoes

Juniors
With current mess the whole club is in I am really think we need an experienced coach to sort it out. What I am certain about is that if Ben Haran stays in charge of the football department all of this reshuffling is not worth a cent..particularly if a rookie coach is given the gig....could the Board be that stupid???

dannyt

Coach
With current mess the whole club is in I am really think we need an experienced coach to sort it out. What I am certain about is that if Ben Haran stays in charge of the football department all of this reshuffling is not worth a cent..particularly if a rookie coach is given the gig....could the Board be that stupid???
I don't know the answer to all your questions, but Griffin is an experienced coach and look at where we are.

Agree regarding Haran, and yes the board can be that stupid, and then some.

since77

Juniors

dungay dragon

Juniors
So does Griffin get to name this weeks team before the BOD meet and possibly sack him, and before the info evening?

I wonder if he will play games?
Was thinking exactly the same...
Hook must be let go now
Interim coach or new fulltime to take over straight away
how ironic if it is Ryles..
we play the Chooks on Friday
How could he possibly hold his position with them , if that is the case

offiah

Juniors
Don’t know why they wouldn’t at least have a chat with Cheika. Surely a head coach is more about setting the team up for success. Man-management, standards of excellence and belief, all of which his record shows he can do, which is more than Ryles has shown so far. The assistants should be the ones running the attacking and defensive structures (although probably not in Hooks case, as he’s so stubborn and controlling).

Not saying he is the one we need but wouldn’t you want to meet him and see what he’s about and how he would make us successful again? And have a point of comparison to a bunch of rookies in Ryles, Hornby and Young.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
SMH mention this morning that “Griffin was unhappy with Sully’s defence in the first quarter.”
He was off the field for half of that! And it was for making a tackle when the Cowboys had broken through. I call BS.

Also. Same article “Dragons have not seriously considered Cheika…”

More likely he didn't like Hunts defence at 9, he missed 10 against the Tigers, maybe Hook thought that might happen again.
Or even more likely it's just another bs excuse.