What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

possm

Coach
To think that it has come down to Flannagan being the most likely to take up the head coach position. We could have done this long ago instead of extending Griffin.

When it comes to new recruits, I'd say we have enough no-names who will never represent at SOO level. Now is the time to recruit some quality to give us the necessary balance between young inexperienced juniors and proven players with experience.

If Hunt stays on it would have to be at hooker.
If we replace Ramsey, it would have to be a marquee fullback.
Pair Sloan and Sullivan in the halves but for goodness sake, skill them up in defense.
We definitely still need to recruit two big first-grade props.
If we are short of cash then Matt Fegai to left center and Suli to left edge forward.
I'd prefer that we retain Su'A.
De Belin is our best lock.

Let Go
Bird
Mbye
F Molo
And any other 'experienced reserve grade forwards
Promote our young up-and-coming juniors to reserve grade and get them ready for first grade.

Woody90

Juniors
Lachie Miller is a fullback on the outer. You've got to feel a little hard done by if you're him. Started the season pretty well and gets dropped because Ponga isn't a 5/8th like everyone on the planet bar himself and Adam O'Brien were aware of. He was brought there to play fullback in first grade because of the Ponga positional change, now he doesn't have that chance. He's nothing special, but has speed, doesn't get rag dolled and is pretty safe under the high ball. Can kick goals too. His level of play also provides competition with Sloan for a position, rather than just shutting him right out. Make Sloan work for it again.

On players like Bird, they desperately need to be moved on. If Flanno is the coach though, well he's more likely to get an upgrade than a release. He's obsessed with Jack Bird. Bird will become the new Norman with Flanno, so that's something you've got to be prepared for.

In terms of forwards, wasn't it heavily rumoured on here before the start of the season Flanno had landed Taniela Paseka? He's been great for Manly this year, and with Flanno leaving as Manly's assistant (possibly), maybe the Paseka deal ends up coming through a year later.

As a Knights fan, please please please take Miller. He started the season well - was making a lot of errors but was doing good things in attack to balance that. In his last 5 weeks he had no more diamonds and he made more errors than any Knights player I can remember (which is saying something). He wasn’t dropped due to Ponga, Adam O’Brien was sticking stubborn to the Ponga 5/8 switch, he was going to die on that hill, until Miller basically made it impossible for AOB to keep picking him and keep a job.

Juniors
To think that it has come down to Flannagan being the most likely to take up the head coach position. We could have done this long ago instead of extending Griffin.

When it comes to new recruits, I'd say we have enough no-names who will never represent at SOO level. Now is the time to recruit some quality to give us the necessary balance between young inexperienced juniors and proven players with experience.

If Hunt stays on it would have to be at hooker.
If we replace Ramsey, it would have to be a marquee fullback.
Pair Sloan and Sullivan in the halves but for goodness sake, skill them up in defense.
We definitely still need to recruit two big first-grade props.
If we are short of cash then Matt Fegai to left center and Suli to left edge forward.
I'd prefer that we retain Su'A.
De Belin is our best lock.

Let Go
Bird
Mbye
F Molo
And any other 'experienced reserve grade forwards
Promote our young up-and-coming juniors to reserve grade and get them ready for first grade.
Pretty sure Doust is the reason for Flanagan being on the outer

Old Timer

Coach
Pretty sure Doust is the reason for Flanagan being on the outer
I'm pretty sure Flanagan's own actions and wrap sheet is why he is on the outer in general terms.

There has been plenty of opportunity for him to be considered for a HC role so one has to ask why he hasn't landed one after all he did win a premiership.

If Doust is against him then good on Doust.

offiah

Juniors
The lack of interest could be nothing more than trepidation around potential backlash for any club that appoints him. If he has truely learnt his mistakes he could potentially bring the change we need.

Unfortunately we are in a worse situation than other clubs and simply just need the best experienced coach available, that can turn a club around. That seems to be either Flanno or Cheika (with the right assistants).

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If Miller can kick goals he will do
We have the worst kicker out of 17 teams ATM
He can hardly land one from anywhere within 10 metres of the side line anymore
It puts us under more pressure than we already are scoring points and trying to get away from teams when we rarely do hit the lead
It is frustrating the hell out of me more than our one out attack
Re Lomax goal kicking, if you watch Latrell and Stephen Crighton kick these guys simple routine and kick through the ball effortlessly, Lomax is trying to belt the ball too hard, he got rid of the smaller tee now needs to take some heat of the kicks.
I will add goal kicking to my resume..

independent

Juniors
Re Lomax goal kicking, if you watch Latrell and Stephen Crighton kick these guys simple routine and kick through the ball effortlessly, Lomax is trying to belt the ball too hard, he got rid of the smaller tee now needs to take some heat of the kicks.
I will add goal kicking to my resume..
Mate you are 100% correct , he is trying to smash the ball instead of just follow through , Mitchell is a great example and so was widdop , no need to smash the ball, these guys have strong legs just to guide the ball, I once asked Lomax if anyone taught him how to kick and his answer was no, I replied it shows, I explained that he needs to relax, don't take your eye of the ball after you set up and just follow through.. he didn't take my advice ???? Yes I played soccer when I was younger.....

Gareth67

First Grade

Coach confirms huge Dragons development

Shane Flanagan for Sunday Buzz

Shane Flanagan has declared he can set up the Dragons for “long-term success” while hitting out at critics who say he should have a life ban from NRL head coaching.
Encouraging news , the ball is now firmly in the Dragon’s court . Flanagan would like the position and believes he has a long term plan capable of bringing the club back into being true premiership contenders .

That should give the board the necessary confidence in appointing him as Anthony Griffin’s successor - the fact that someone finally has a plan !

No need to dily-daly around with a decision , listen to what he requires and if not agreeable say so immediately and then tell the Dragon supporters that there will be another 13 seasons of suffering and heartbreak .

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench

Coach confirms huge Dragons development

Shane Flanagan for Sunday Buzz

Shane Flanagan has declared he can set up the Dragons for “long-term success” while hitting out at critics who say he should have a life ban from NRL head coaching.

Thanks southport.

With their demands on losing control over parts of the footy department, it's what it is.

My view on Flanno is he's done his time.

He's the best option, worked with the club, got results, accepted responsibility and he's said he can work with the board.

It could all fall in a heap again so, we will see.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Thanks southport.

With their demands on losing control over parts of the footy department, it's what it is.

My view on Flanno is he's done his time.

He's the best option, worked with the club, got results, accepted responsibility and he's said he can work with the board.

It could all fall in a heap again so, we will see.
The club's options appear very limited at this point. The job appears to be beyond a rookie coach. Hasler is a no show (I'm not keen on him anyway). Cheika is a pipe dream I think - could be good but too much of a risk at this point. That leaves Flanno. Not perfect but the best option from those remaining in my opinion. I just hope the Board can get the job done within a short time frame to stop all the speculation.

qld redvee

Juniors
I like the fact that flanno put in a "pathways" system into the sharks whilst he was coaching .
this is exqactly what we desperately need so to me thats another big tick for flanno .. Sounds like he could work well with our pathways development and recruitment guy ( thats when we get someone ) I just hope our board can see that flanno will be a good choice and can lift us from bottom of table and get us in the right direction