What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Manu coming to us was never going to happen. Flanagan has pipe dreams or maybe wet dreams is what I'm thinking. Saying somethings but actually doing and achieving them is totally different. I am of the belief that we as a club have not learned a single thing about hiring and firing and getting the best that you can effectively obtain to have the quality needed to become a juggernaut of a club.

I realise that the club and us fans are pinning our hopes on Flanno and his new fitness staff and so on and I know that Flanno is yet to officially take over. Yes, the club has told several players that they can look elsewhere and I expect more will be told, but please make sure that we get the players that we really need to bolster the side and not random rejects and castaways. This is the time to get it right and we cannot afford to be cellar dwellers and continue to be a bottom of the ladder club. We have to make sure that whatever we do and whomever we get will improve us 100% and not just take the mediocre train to nowhere.
Yep- love him or hate him, Gould is an extraordinary salesman and gets results. I can't believe how he's managed to attract state of origin level of players like Addo Carr, Kikau and Crichton to a lowly club whose area is best known as the epicentre of middle eastern crime and drive by shootings. No golden beaches there. Yes, I know that Ciraldo is struggling big time right now but you get the feeling that once they get the ingredients right, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Haran and Webb simply don't have the pull power and need to be punted or moved sideways.

Parko1310

Juniors
Where have you heard this ?
Steven Bates, who is well connected at the club, I've noticed is following Blore on social media platforms. For context on why I believe it's reliable, he doesn't follow any players who are not connected to the Dragons other than Blore. All players he follows are either current, past, and (probably future) NRL, NRLW players and Dragons juniors. My guess is this will be announced in conjunction with the Sullivan release at the end of the season. Almost a "swap" of sorts.

That's why I'm saying I could be wrong, but Blore is a pretty random player to be the only player Bates follows that is not connected to the Dragons. So it's a strong chance I would say, especially considering the Tigers were willing to release Blore, and Sullivan is going to the Tigers. I would say Flanno and the club have gotten Blore in return.

Mjab

Juniors
As the captain of the mighty Dragons I will never forgive him for the treatment he has dished out to this club, and the underhand tactics he used to manipulate a release. At virtually one of the lowest points in the Dragons history he decides its a good time to cut and run because he cant see himself winning a premiership with the Dragons. This from a Dragons captain no less, I dont care if he stays and how well he plays in my eyes he will never be forgiven for such a despicable act to a club paying him $1 mill a year. Lets hope the memory of how he treated this club haunts him forever when he retires.
The one positive is that he will never win a premiership 😬

BIG RIG

Juniors
Steven Bates, who is well connected at the club, I've noticed is following Blore on social media platforms. For context on why I believe it's reliable, he doesn't follow any players who are not connected to the Dragons other than Blore. All players he follows are either current, past, and (probably future) NRL, NRLW players and Dragons juniors. My guess is this will be announced in conjunction with the Sullivan release at the end of the season. Almost a "swap" of sorts.

That's why I'm saying I could be wrong, but Blore is a pretty random player to be the only player Bates follows that is not connected to the Dragons. So it's a strong chance I would say, especially considering the Tigers were willing to release Blore, and Sullivan is going to the Tigers. I would say Flanno and the club have gotten Blore in return.
Cheers for that Parko , Fair Play

I think that would be a good signing , his got some ticka Blore

BLM01

First Grade

Manu coming to us was never going to happen. Flanagan has pipe dreams or maybe wet dreams is what I'm thinking. Saying somethings but actually doing and achieving them is totally different. I am of the belief that we as a club have not learned a single thing about hiring and firing and getting the best that you can effectively obtain to have the quality needed to become a juggernaut of a club.

I realise that the club and us fans are pinning our hopes on Flanno and his new fitness staff and so on and I know that Flanno is yet to officially take over. Yes, the club has told several players that they can look elsewhere and I expect more will be told, but please make sure that we get the players that we really need to bolster the side and not random rejects and castaways. This is the time to get it right and we cannot afford to be cellar dwellers and continue to be a bottom of the ladder club. We have to make sure that whatever we do and whomever we get will improve us 100% and not just take the mediocre train to nowhere.
You cant blame Manu a glamour player staying at a glamour wealthy club where he has palyed all his football. I am OK with it. But we have to be seen and actually trying to lure this talent something we have not done since Widdop was signed.

possm

Coach
Flanagan has a whole host of issues to fix with the squad. In fact most positions need looking at either at first team level or squad depth. If I had to guess, I'd say getting Hunt to just concentrate on being our half back for next year gives him one less problem to solve for now. He'll then have another year to solve the big issue of our long term Halves combination. I know a lot of people think Hunt's an arsehole for saying he wanted to leave, but that's just all noise to me. As long as he knuckles down and plays hard next year I'd be ok with him coming back while we fix the other positions.
A fully fit top 30 will be a great first step in the rebuilding of our squad. Yes, we do need at least 2 top-grade forwards, a robust fullback and a replacement halfback in order to match it with the top 4 clubs.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Could be wrong, but I think we have signed Shawn Blore
if it is just for next year it is worth the risk despite having now 2 ACL recos ie one for each knee

but as we saw with Birdy who has had two ACL recos (but same leg) it is just hard to use the same explosive lateral movement or trust in your jumping. Blind Freddy can see the difference.

I think it would be better Blore plays prop and try and make the same adjustment Fisher Harris made from backrow to frontrow. Similar build, Blore slightly heavier, good explosive power.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

some good footage of Blore here and despite where he stands to make his hitups half the time out on the edge you can see the potential as a prop. I just would not be keen on a 2 year contract after the x 2 ACL RECOS

I know a lot of people on here are really expecting a few new stars , but if theres no- one available then were stuck. However i believe with some decent coaching we could survive with most of the players we have now. How many games did we lose where our wingers flew in and left their side undefended. I believe with a decent defense strategy in place we could have won most if those games. If we had decent defense then were a different team. Attack can also he an ongoing problem to us but again with just one new decent player we can fix it. I think finally we have a coach who can fix both problems without having to shell out big money. And then fix our pathway problems to give us a decent string of juniors like Penrith have achieved. I think our biggest problem has been overcome with a decent coach.
Lets just hope im right because there seems to be very few players up for grabs this year

The Word

Juniors

My Tigers mate thinks he's off to the UK, but maybe we've hijacked the deal.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I heard Blore is off to the UK as well. If the Couchman boys get a good offseason, they easily replace BMM and Musgrove. Dan Russel is another who can move in as a starter with a good offseason. Saints have the foundations of a good team.

Saints should really look into the UK Super League for next season. Why buy a second sting NRL player when you can get a big name UK Super League player for probably the same if not cheaper coin. I am sure Flanno may look abroad if his options become very slim.

I also agree with you @Dragonssupporter, I think Saints just need to get the current mob to play to their potential like Webster has done at the Warriors and Saints will improve. They have been competitive most games. The obvious weakness being exploited is the wingers coming in which will surely be an easy fix for a guy like Flanno.

The Couchman boys have me excited. If these guys fire they will be brilliant. Liddle looks pretty good but probably look at the PNG guy in the UK that plays for Leigh Leopards that Flanno wants. He looks like a gun.

Dogs are a shambles and players will be thinking twice before going there. 67 player turnover in 3 seasons apparently reported by Buzz. They bring in a player, he has a bad game and is shipped off. They look confused. Gus probably saying one thing, Ciraldo the other. That is why Gus did not go for Flanno, he was after a puppet so he can over rule them. Flanno would not have a bar of that or any other decent coach. TPG I think was tapped and I can see him playing in the NRL next season with uncle Wayne after a couple of fights. He played Origin this season and now thinks he can't play apparently. Sounds suss to me. Blind Freddy can see more upside in Saints now than the Dogs I feel especially with Flanno coming on board as opposed to the most popular Assistant coach in the world who has achieved nothing just been a puppet to the great Ivan Cleary and now Gus. Gus is a great salesman with his 5 year rebuild crap. Webster rebuilt the Warriors in 1.

denis preston

First Grade
I heard Blore is off to the UK as well. If the Couchman boys get a good offseason, they easily replace BMM and Musgrove. Dan Russel is another who can move in as a starter with a good offseason. Saints have the foundations of a good team.

Saints should really look into the UK Super League for next season. Why buy a second sting NRL player when you can get a big name UK Super League player for probably the same if not cheaper coin. I am sure Flanno may look abroad if his options become very slim.

I also agree with you @Dragonssupporter, I think Saints just need to get the current mob to play to their potential like Webster has done at the Warriors and Saints will improve. They have been competitive most games. The obvious weakness being exploited is the wingers coming in which will surely be an easy fix for a guy like Flanno.

The Couchman boys have me excited. If these guys fire they will be brilliant. Liddle looks pretty good but probably look at the PNG guy in the UK that plays for Leigh Leopards that Flanno wants. He looks like a gun.

Dogs are a shambles and players will be thinking twice before going there. 67 player turnover in 3 seasons apparently reported by Buzz. They bring in a player, he has a bad game and is shipped off. They look confused. Gus probably saying one thing, Ciraldo the other. That is why Gus did not go for Flanno, he was after a puppet so he can over rule them. Flanno would not have a bar of that or any other decent coach. TPG I think was tapped and I can see him playing in the NRL next season with uncle Wayne after a couple of fights. He played Origin this season and now thinks he can't play apparently. Sounds suss to me. Blind Freddy can see more upside in Saints now than the Dogs I feel especially with Flanno coming on board as opposed to the most popular Assistant coach in the world who has achieved nothing just been a puppet to the great Ivan Cleary and now Gus. Gus is a great salesman with his 5 year rebuild crap. Webster rebuilt the Warriors in 1.
Love your positivity Slip but for me we still need 2 VG forwards & at least 1 outside back to improve next season. Admire the effort the players are putting in but for me some are just ressie standard players & always will be.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
I know a lot of people on here are really expecting a few new stars , but if theres no- one available then were stuck. However i believe with some decent coaching we could survive with most of the players we have now. How many games did we lose where our wingers flew in and left their side undefended. I believe with a decent defense strategy in place we could have won most if those games. If we had decent defense then were a different team. Attack can also he an ongoing problem to us but again with just one new decent player we can fix it. I think finally we have a coach who can fix both problems without having to shell out big money. And then fix our pathway problems to give us a decent string of juniors like Penrith have achieved. I think our biggest problem has been overcome with a decent coach.
Lets just hope im right because there seems to be very few players up for grabs this year
I totally agree. The weakness in our left hand side defence has been discovered and is being exploited by every team we play. Take away that weakness & we may even of been fighting for the 8 this year.
Coaching has been the biggest problem followed by a not much depth.

Dragon David

First Grade

Love your positivity Slip but for me we still need 2 VG forwards & at least 1 outside back to improve next season. Admire the effort the players are putting in but for me some are just ressie standard players & always will be.
The player market has reached the also ran players availability stage and the Bulldogs might have more cash to spend now that Tevita Pangai Jnr has reportedly "thrown in the towel" and wants to take up boxing full-time ((a very hard thing to accept as I see it easier for TPJ to play the game of league and do the bare essentials as he is doing (and collecting $750k per annum) rather than copping blows to the body and head for initially lesser pays)). The Bulldogs will have some coin but nobody of any note to spend on until maybe 2025.

We will be in the same boat so our "rebuild" under Flanno might be Sele, maybe Ipape and a couple of short term fill ins and concentrate on the young ones for next year together with improvements in fitness, strength and conditioning and some major tweaks in the way we attack and defend under Flanno, Young and Carr. We do have the makings of a good team because except for maybe a couple of games we haven't consistently been thrashed and several of the closer games we could have won if the rub of the green was in our favour.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If I could target a good oustide back it is Taruva from the Panthers. When Taylan May is back, he may get dropped or could fill in for Crichton but you never know, money talks and Penrith may offer much less than what Saints can.

The Bronco's may be vulnerable with Haas taking a chunk and Reece Walsh to be kept in the future on a much higher contract. I would look at getting Kobe Hetherington, Capewell and Palasai. These upgrades will squeeze some good players out so Saints need to be patient.

Parko1310

Juniors
If I could target a good oustide back it is Taruva from the Panthers. When Taylan May is back, he may get dropped or could fill in for Crichton but you never know, money talks and Penrith may offer much less than what Saints can.

The Bronco's may be vulnerable with Haas taking a chunk and Reece Walsh to be kept in the future on a much higher contract. I would look at getting Kobe Hetherington, Capewell and Palasai. These upgrades will squeeze some good players out so Saints need to be patient.
Agree completely that some decent players at the top clubs are going to be squeezed out soon. I have to say I'm shocked that Souths have been able to re-sign Campbell Graham and Keon given the arrival of Wighton. Turuva would be a great pickup, but I believe the plan was to move him to centre to replace Crichton. I think him or Taylan May could be squeezed out though to accomodate Luai, Edwards and Martin getting upgrades. Penrith would definitely have a more than capable junior to fill wing or centre. May would be a great pickup on the left wing, and free to negotiate come November. Hethrington and Riki would be decent pickups from the Broncs. You also have Cobbo off contract in 25. Nick Meaney will be hard pressed to stay at Melbourne, he'd be a great pick up. Warriors could struggle to keep Curran given their player values will skyrocket. Then there's Crichton and Tupou at the Chooks. Plenty of quality to go for. The positive is Flanno is being proactive. The Dragons have over recent years constantly missed the boat, which is not happening now.

Latest posts