What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

hewi

Bench
Happy to see Suli stay I think under Flanagan he will step up to another level.

DRAGONS LOOK TO ROPE IN COWBOY
St George Illawarra are on the verge of agreeing a new deal with blockbusting centre Moses Suli and have widened their recruiting net to include North Queensland back rower Heilum Luki as they look to supercharge their rebuild under coach Shane Flanagan.
Suli has a three-year deal on the table from the Dragons and it is understood the parties are close to signing off on the agreement, which would mean the Tongan international remains at the Dragons until the end of 2027.
Flanagan has been selective about who he has attempted to retain and ambitious about who he wants to sign. The club’s interest in Addin Fonua-Blake has been well documented but less is known about their pursuit of Luki, the Cowboys back-rower who made his debut for Samoa this year and is knocking on the door of the Queensland State of Origin side.
Luki has an option in his favour at the Cowboys for 2025 but is blocked for a starting role on the edge by the presence of Jeremiah Nanai and Luciano Leilua.
The Cowboys are also fighting hard to retain boom youngster Kulikefu Finefeuiaki in the face-off lucrative offers from rival clubs. There has been talk that Leilua could be moved to the middle to accommodate either Luki or Finefeuiaki in the starting side.
The Cowboys have to retain them first as they battle a salary cap squeeze - half Tom Dearden has also entered the final year of his contract along with Chad Townsend and Coen Hess.

thebigredv

First Grade
Happy to see Suli stay I think under Flanagan he will step up to another level.

DRAGONS LOOK TO ROPE IN COWBOY
St George Illawarra are on the verge of agreeing a new deal with blockbusting centre Moses Suli and have widened their recruiting net to include North Queensland back rower Heilum Luki as they look to supercharge their rebuild under coach Shane Flanagan.
Suli has a three-year deal on the table from the Dragons and it is understood the parties are close to signing off on the agreement, which would mean the Tongan international remains at the Dragons until the end of 2027.
Flanagan has been selective about who he has attempted to retain and ambitious about who he wants to sign. The club’s interest in Addin Fonua-Blake has been well documented but less is known about their pursuit of Luki, the Cowboys back-rower who made his debut for Samoa this year and is knocking on the door of the Queensland State of Origin side.
Luki has an option in his favour at the Cowboys for 2025 but is blocked for a starting role on the edge by the presence of Jeremiah Nanai and Luciano Leilua.
The Cowboys are also fighting hard to retain boom youngster Kulikefu Finefeuiaki in the face-off lucrative offers from rival clubs. There has been talk that Leilua could be moved to the middle to accommodate either Luki or Finefeuiaki in the starting side.
The Cowboys have to retain them first as they battle a salary cap squeeze - half Tom Dearden has also entered the final year of his contract along with Chad Townsend and Coen Hess.
If we nab Heilum Luki I will be over the moon. A star on the rise!!

shiloh dc

Juniors
OMG - we are looking to resign Suli. Clearly they cannot attract anyone else.
I was critical when we signed Suli and I'm happy to double down on his resigning.
He is a one dimensional player and if you are serious about wanting to win an NRL title you cannot afford to carry such players.
Shame.

thebigredv

First Grade
I was critical when we signed Suli and I'm happy to double down on his resigning.
He is a one dimensional player and if you are serious about wanting to win an NRL title you cannot afford to carry such players.
Shame.
He has been less than impressive. Rarely finds the line and found wanting in defence more often than he should be. I love the idea of him - powerful dynamic player but hasn’t eventuated as yet. Happy to see how he goes this year but I tend to agree it means we just unable to attract anyone else.

maestro1

Bench
His efforts in this area dropped off a cliff when he played in the 2023 season ,not sure whether it was attitude /age /injury related ,but he did himself no favours as far as showcasing his current ability.
Wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.
Definitely hope we don't chase him, however, can't deny how good he has been for a long while now. 2023 excluded

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Maybe he's just best mates with an impending signing?

Seriously though, if getting AFB required us to re-sign guys like Suli and BMM, how much is it actually costing us when you consider the three of them would be close to 2 mil in the cap?

Is it a smart investment, or are we at the point where beggars can't be choosers?

Parko1310

Juniors
Maybe he's just best mates with an impending signing?

Seriously though, if getting AFB required us to re-sign guys like Suli and BMM, how much is it actually costing us when you consider the three of them would be close to 2 mil in the cap?

Is it a smart investment, or are we at the point where beggars can't be choosers?
I doubt if BMM will be re-signed. Suli re-signing can also be a positive in the AFB space given how close they are, whilst I trust Flanno to get the best out of him. Sele is another Tongan international who would know AFB, so him and Suli can help lure him. Whilst BMM and AFB are close, we may not need all three to lure him to the Dragons.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Shame.
No offense but if he was on the market at another club we would be all wanting to chase him .. Haaaa

I doubt if BMM will be re-signed. Suli re-signing can also be a positive in the AFB space given how close they are, whilst I trust Flanno to get the best out of him. Sele is another Tongan international who would know AFB, so him and Suli can help lure him. Whilst BMM and AFB are close, we may not need all three to lure him to the Dragons.
BMM could also be offered a non playing position at the club in 2025.
Maybe something in the pathways or whatever.
Always seems to be a fair bit of chopping and changing around these roles each off season.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Always seems to be a fair bit of chopping and changing around these roles each off season.
…..may explain the criticism leveraged at pathways; i wouldn't know but i believe these roles should go only go to people who are skilled and trained in this area not just always ex players…..

BLM01

First Grade
Thats because we thrown any Tom Ben or Harry in a football club position, historically usually because they have had some playing days at our club. What is BMM qualification around this. 2 seasons at our club as a fringe 1st grader?.
Re pathways, You need people with experience and knowledge of existing pathways in our regions, contacts and who can work / relate at both levels with teenagers and families + good team of talent spotters spreading far and wide.
All of the above need to be keen to travel and do their research
Not many recent or current Dragon NRL players would fit that job description

TheRev

Coach
We are going into 2024 with 25 players currently.. including 3 we failed to offload.. a player of Suli's quality is a big step up from the other options we might have to field in our top 17, regardless of what position he plays.

Everyone wants to jump to Roster-Utopia, but we are going to have to do it in many small steps.. and just pray we can secure 1 or 2 or 3 of those stars we have offered contracts for 2025.

Also dont forget.. Suli will surely be a better player under Flanno.

Latest posts