What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Draginzaaar

Bench
Bud is on a 4 year contract with the Tigers starting in 2024. He most probably will get a run in the top grade there next year as first choice with Aidan Sezer (signed for a year) as his partner in the halves. If they sign Luai for 2025 then subject to how Bud goes next year, he and Luai will most probably be the halves, which could be a very good pairing.
They also have the ex Manly bloke who is a half and also on a 4 year contract. If Bud gets injured like he normally does, he won't get a look in.

CozDragon

Juniors
Maybe Coz. They will have options and don't forget about Adam Doueihi who can play in the halves as well. Maybe too many but their options far outweigh us for 2024 in the halves. If they do get Luai then I hope we have good options by/for 2025.
We are looking exceptionally thin in the halves. Assuming Amone is suspended/contract torn up if either Flanno Jnr or Hunt get injured, we are screwed.
I really hope Flanno has either been pleasantly surprised with the progression of some of our jnr halves and he doesn't see the need for further back up or he has someone lined up and is just making the finishing touches before announcing it.

Parko1310

Juniors
We are looking exceptionally thin in the halves. Assuming Amone is suspended/contract torn up if either Flanno Jnr or Hunt get injured, we are screwed.
I really hope Flanno has either been pleasantly surprised with the progression of some of our jnr halves and he doesn't see the need for further back up or he has someone lined up and is just making the finishing touches before announcing it.
There just aren't too many halves available right now, and we don't have any junior halves in our supplementary list. Lykhan King-Togia and Kade Reed in our T&T list can play from round 11, but they aren't ready for the NRL yet. We might be able to pick someone up, and hopefully we can, but possibly not which would make Jack Bird our next up in the halves. God help us if a half or hooker gets injured this season.

TheRev

Coach
We 100% need somebody who can play 6/7 in our 30 if Amone is stood down.. even if he isnt tbh like our NSW Cup halves right now are Amone/Togia, and I still dunno whos playing if we have even 1 injury... its very light.. sometimes they play Mulheissen in the halves, but its far from ideal.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I would keep an eye on Isaiah Tass from the bunnies, he's off contract at the end of 2024. He's had a couple of good years at centre & is entering his prime. Good in both attack & defence. Bunnies have Wighton who looks likely to play 5/8th or centre which means Tass could find himself on the outer. Imo he's a player that could transition to 2rf due to his defence & size.

Trifili13

Juniors
This is what I was afraid of , throw in Bird as well ......
Why don't we just put the players names in a hat on selection night and draw them out from 1 to 13 plus 4 reserves. That way we can surprise the opposition when we line up on match day with say Lawrie at fullback as his name was first out of the hat, and maybe Hunt gets drawn out 9th and plays hooker after all.

justadragon

Bench
Well they were rumoured to have wanted Stefano Ute and cash for an early release so that's an indication of their reluctance to let him go early.
Anyway I wish you guys well..
I said a long time before Flanigan was appointed as Saints coach that he would have been be a good replacement for Madge as he is a real man's man... someone who would rally the team to perform...also bringing the young ones into grade like he did at the Sharkies.
I think you guys are on a winner.
I'm hoping the Saints and the Tiges make the 8 next year and give it a real shot.
It might be a big ask though, so let's look at a SG v WT grandfinal in 2025 and I'll shout a pony of lager at a pub on GF day to any forum member that can quote this post. :p
i think Richardson saved you guys from another cap debacle, now just focus on Luai

Parko1310

Juniors
He may be contracted to St Helens until 2025, but, on the advice of Ben Hunt, St George Illawarra have begun negotiations with the hottest young Englishman in rugby league.
Dean Ritchie and Brent Read

2 min read
December 14, 2023 - 6:58PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://archive.md/3E99S#share-tools
7079e94eeecd3683ba77c72a0925493be655605f.jpg

NRL: The Broncos are increasingly confident they will be able to lock in star player Ezra Maam.
In a stunning development, St George Illawarra has started negotiations to lure St Helens superstar Jack Welsby to the NRL.
And Welsby - rated the best player in Super League - was issued a glowing recommendation from Dragons and Kangaroos champion, Ben Hunt.
Welsby was a standout in St Helens’ shock World Club Challenge win over NRL premiers Penrith earlier this year while also super impressive for England in last year’s World Cup.
St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan says Welsby could play five-eighth or fullback for the Dragons.
The Dragons will wait for the NRL’s expected punishment for five-eighth Junior Amone before taking Welsby discussions to another level.
Amone was found guilty of a hammer attack and is likely to face a lengthy suspension, or deregistration, by the NRL integrity unit.
Just 22, Welsby comes off contract after 2025 but the Dragons privately feel they could secure the English international early. He has also played wing and centre during his 117-game Super League career.
“Welsby is the English Test five-eighth and fullback,” said Flanagan.
Jack Welsby celebrates St Helens' World Club Challenge win over Penrith. Picture: NRL Imagery

Jack Welsby celebrates St Helens' World Club Challenge win over Penrith. Picture: NRL Imagery
“He is only young so could come over here and have a long career.
“We are definitely looking outside the square and have gone as far as going to the UK with Jack Welsby. We’ve expressed some interest there and made contact with his manager.
“He is a super talent with attacking brilliance. We know there will be a lot of interest when he comes off contract but we might have to push now to see if we can get him.
“In the World Cup, he was outstanding. Even Benny Hunt said he was hard to handle when Australia played them.
“The challenge is getting some of those English players out of their country. Once they’re here they love it but getting them here is the challenge.

Loading embed...

“We will see what happens with Junior Amone. If things don’t go well we will go hard for Jack Welsby. He is a real danger carrying the football.”
Welsby spoke about his interest in joining the NRL during an interview with James Graham on his Bye Round podcast last weekend.
“I’m contracted at Saints for two years so my main focus at the minute is keeping myself fit, keeping myself right …. but I’d be lying if saying NRL is not something that interests you and testing yourself against the best,” Welsby said.
WCC man-of-the-match Jack Welsby. NRL Imagery

WCC man-of-the-match Jack Welsby. NRL Imagery
“It is an interest, isn’t it? It’s a decision that I’ll come to if it ever pops up.”
Newcastle’s English signing Will Pryce raved about Welsby.
“Obviously, probably the best player in Super League would be Jack Welsby,” Pryce said. “I think he won four grand finals back-to-back. He won them the grand final against Wigan in 2020. He is a great player and a really good competitor.
“I am sure one day, if Saints manage to let him go, he will be one to look out for.”
The Dragons have emerged hot favourites to sign Addin Fonua-Blake and await a final decision from the giant Warriors prop. The Bulldogs and Wests Tigers withdrew their interest this week.
Asked for an update on Fonua-Blake, Flanagan said: “I have seen these things go different ways but I’d like to think we’re a good chance. I’m not quite sure what the timeline is but I like to know sooner rather than later.
“We’re in good shape cap-wise. We’ve got a bit of room to move.”

Nutz

Bench
i think Richardson saved you guys from another cap debacle, now just focus on Luai
For once in a minute lonnnngggg time I feel as if we are actually moving forward. I guess when you get the spoon there is only one way to go and that is up.
They say the most important positions in Rugby League is your spine....1-7-9.
I feel we have that now in the front office spine with interim CEO Shane Richardson, Chairman Barry O'Farrell and head of recruitment Scott Fulton.
You could also throw in there Matthew Betsey as Interim Head of Football Operations.
I think all these guys will be in there for the long haul or at least until the ship is on an even keel.

Latest posts