What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

blacksafake

First Grade
Insofar as depth in the halves is concerned, I've always liked Toby Sexton as a player and he is off contract at the end of next season. A controlling half who is a clear upgrade on Kyle Flanagan. Kyle can then be worked on in transitioning to a hooker like Flanno had planned. My first target for depth in the halves though, especially if Dearden is looking increasingly unlikely, would be Jonah Pezet from the Storm. Off contract end of 2025, but how long does he want to sit behind Hughes and Munster who are on long-term deals? Might be able to tempt him and get him out early, looks a pretty good player.
I read an article on Pezet earlier this year & it stated that a few clubs- roosters being one- have tried to sign him but he’s more than happy biding his time at the storm.

Parko1310

Juniors
I read an article on Pezet earlier this year & it stated that a few clubs- roosters being one- have tried to sign him but he’s more than happy biding his time at the storm.
Yeah it might not be able to be done but I'd probably enquire again. By the time Jahrome Hughes is off contract (who knows if he'll necessarily leave/retire after that) Pezet will be 24 for the start of the 2027 NRL season. He might be willing to bide his time right now, but for how long? Lots of potentially wasted time and talent for someone who could easily start in a lot of NRL teams.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Thats right so why offer Deardon 1.1 when he has had limited impact thus far. Deardon has performed 2 years max at the Cowboys including the team underachieving this year. Yeh he did OK in his couple of origin games
He aint worth that yet. 900K OK as is just a wholehearted runner and defender'but not much playmaking. I reckon Sam Walker will be a better player than Deardon as is Mam
You can compare what they do and have done on field and Luai has done a hell of a lot more for a lot longer because Yes also in a better team for 5 years?. Cleary has spent some time on the side line during the years and Penrith keep rolling on.
Not the point mate. If Cowboys offer $850-900k per season we would have to pay significantly more to get him. It’s hypothetical as I don’t expect he would want to join us.
it’s really about supply and demand.. as supply is limited the market drives up the price, even over inflating.
There are really no 6s or 7s available for bargain prices.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Amone & Bud were our only real star halves juniors... Herring was next behind him as a promising 6, but probably stagnated and ultimately there must be a reason we didnt give him a dev contract & he left.

King Togia is the one I think they are backing now.. but I havent seen anything amazing yet and hes just starting his reserve grade career.. like hes many years away from being a genuine 1st grade half (if he makes it), imo halves is probably our weakest reserve grade position (currently), I think we are waiting for a teenager to emerge.
Seriously guys c’mon..Amone or Bud are hardly stars. Stars help you win a game.. give me just 1 example of a game Sullivan or Amone helped us win..

Dragon David

First Grade
NRL news: Cowboys drop Dearden bombshell with monster extension. North Queensland has extended the contract of in-demand Maroons playmaker Tom Dearden through the end of the 2029 season. North Queensland has extended the contract of in-demand Maroons playmaker Tom Dearden through the end of the 2029 season.

BIG RIG

Juniors
I hate being a negative on here but I honestly don’t think we will sign any marquee names for 2025 , teams just seem to be able to accommodate there players within the cap , and with AFB it wouldn’t shock me if he heads to the shire

maestro1

Bench
Is there a reason why we didn't throw our hat into the ring for Jarome Luia. Even if it was just to make the Tigers or the Bulldogs pay more for him. He is better than any fiveeight we have had for years. Are we that well endowed with top tier players that we come off looking like arrogant and/or dumb. He has achieved so much more than Dearden (and I am a Dearden fan.

Dragon David

First Grade
Flanno needs to stop announcing who he wants to sign .
He says a lot but what he says does not translate to reality and when we are fed more and more of the "I like this guy, he would be good for the club" stuff, it means shit. Just keep the "wish list" down to "will list" and get the guys without giving everyone empty hopes by saying useless maybe's.

Dragon David

First Grade
Is there a reason why we didn't throw our hat into the ring for Jarome Luia. Even if it was just to make the Tigers or the Bulldogs pay more for him. He is better than any fiveeight we have had for years. Are we that well endowed with top tier players that we come off looking like arrogant and/or dumb. He has achieved so much more than Dearden (and I am a Dearden fan.
It only leads to heartache like all others if we even played that sort of game and make the clubs fork out a higher figure to get their man. We currently are experiencing getting nowhere with Flanno saying we have interest in Manu, Dearden, Luki, etc. only to get our hopes up high for nothing.

2025 is not looking very good at all. The Bulldogs and Tigers have made "killings" with their signings while we are still going for the likes of......

Parko1310

Juniors
Not the type of player we need. Overinflated salary demands on an overinflated length of contract. I'd rather not be tied up with a player for the next 5 years who does not suit the style of play Flanagan is trying to implement. He simply does not fit into what our team needs.

maestro1

Bench
It only leads to heartache like all others if we even played that sort of game and make the clubs fork out a higher figure to get their man. We currently are experiencing getting nowhere with Flanno saying we have interest in Manu, Dearden, Luki, etc. only to get our hopes up high for nothing.

2025 is not looking very good at all. The Bulldogs and Tigers have made "killings" with their signings while we are still going for the likes of......
That doesn't explain why we didn't seem to chase Jarome while showing interest in just about everyone else. Along with Lenui and Crichton, Jarome L is the best pickup of this off season.

maestro1

Bench
Not the type of player we need. Overinflated salary demands on an overinflated length of contract. I'd rather not be tied up with a player for the next 5 years who does not suit the style of play Flanagan is trying to implement. He simply does not fit into what our team needs.
Flanno loves a defensive game..... Luia is one the best, if not the best defensive half in the game. How does this not suit our style. Know one knows what Flanno will introduce, suffice to say, it will be defensive and grinding which then opens up your attack. Luia would Definitely suit Flannos style

Dragon David

First Grade
Why is it that Luai is so keen to leave the Panthers and commence his deal at the Tigers in 2024? Does he think that the Tigers will have a better chance of winning the premiership next year than the Panthers? Give me a break!

Gomarchin

Juniors
He says a lot but what he says does not translate to reality and when we are fed more and more of the "I like this guy, he would be good for the club" stuff, it means shit. Just keep the "wish list" down to "will list" and get the guys without giving everyone empty hopes by saying useless maybe's.
I agree. He talks the talk but (so far) I haven't seen any of that translating into signings.

And the argument that we're at least in there trying means nothing if we end up with no signings.

I know the media are asking the questions but there's no need to say anything until you get the signature.