What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

kit66

Bench
We were really short on Reserve grade halves so picking up the guy named KOE Cup 5/8 of the year 2023 is an excellent signing. His highlights on youtube are from 2021 but his stats show 2023 was a real breakout year for the bloke - 11 tries, 16 assists and 100 mtrs a game, well done to the recruitment team. No 1st grade experience but comes from a successful team and could be a handy back up in case of injury or around SOO time.
Nice to have a bit of good news for once - pending the Medical of course.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Unless Flanno can work a miracle, he will soon change his mind mainly because Hunt at 7 was a major cause of the below-par performance of our team.

At 7 we need an organizer, a thinker, a person who can read a game. We need a halfback who can feed the ball to players who are running from deep behind the line into holes with momentum.

Flanno has already identified the fact that our squad was unfit last season and that most players were regularly receiving the ball flat-footed. Service from our hooker and halves was a major problem. So, to rectify this it will mean shifting Hunt to a running five-eighth position or to hooker. Hunter has made it clear that he does not want to play hooker at the Dragons.

For it to work well at the Dragons, the team needs a dominant forward pack that can offload the ball in attack and be very brutal in defense. Flanno identified this and went after AFB to solve this problem but unfortunately was unsuccessful in obtaining his signature.

I still believe that there is management incompetence at the top level of the Football department and so, I'd say that Haran needs to go. I'd also say that recruitment is such an important area of an NRL Club and so, the idea of having one person handling recruitment and pathways is madness. My remedy would be to get rid of Millward, give Millard the pathways job only full-time, and hire a recruitment manager who can deliver a good sales pitch. He would also need to have a good team of scouts who feed him with potential signings.

Flanno will know what he wants and should be able to just rely on the recruitment team to advise him of who is available. Most importantly there should be long-term recruitment/retention plans developed with A and B options. No more knee-jerk decisions and plenty of 'ahead-of-time' execution delivered.
We lost most close game due to bad defence and fitness not Hunt. Although we could have won some with a game manager halfback.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
We lost most close game due to bad defence and fitness not Hunt. Although we could have won some with a game manager halfback.
It is proven in any sport that improved fitness brings on improved decision making under fatigue.

Hunt might become a better manager simply because he is fitter or because the team around him is fitter and everyone is making better decisions.

Parko1310

Juniors
This signing is 1 year only to provide some cover so we don’t have to blood 18 year olds. He’s basically our NSW cup 1/2.

King-Togia and Reed are making big impressions at pre-season.
Thanks for the info. I would assume Reed will likely start the year in ball or flegg, but will LKT start the year in reserves? Cheers

TheRev

Coach
Even if LKT or Reed have stand out years (lets pray they brain it), we really need a recruitment miracle or KFlan to exceed all expectations, cause come 2025/2026, i think were going to be in a similar situation to tigers/dogs in recent years i.e. competitive side but no experienced halves in the system.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Michael Chammas has reported that the Raiders have denied a release to Zac Woolford to join St George for 2024

In the same article it was also reported that the club had major interest in luring Christian Tuipulotu from Manly but Manly have no intention of releasing him

Rod Coil

Juniors
Is the dude really a big step down from Amone.

It remains to be seen.

Amone played first grade because Sullivan was regularly out injured.When not injured, Hook rarely played Sullivan.

In essence Amone had no competition for his spot.
Yep agree.
I still shake my head that we wasted 3 full seasons playing Amone at 5/8 & all we got was a couple of individual tries from 15m out from the line. Apart from those minimal flashes there was nothing deeper to display.
Oh & rubbish edge defence that led to very simple tries.

TheRev

Coach
Yep agree.
I still shake my head that we wasted 3 full seasons playing Amone at 5/8 & all we got was a couple of individual tries from 15m out from the line. Apart from those minimal flashes there was nothing deeper to display.
Oh & rubbish edge defence that led to very simple tries.
1000%... I know our depth hasnt been wonderful this entire decade... but I have been so frustrated by Dufty, Sloan & Amone bypassing reserve grade and getting entire season(s) in 1st grade despite such big flaws in their games. 6yrs we have carried these spine players.. and it has really hurt us... It's not a coincidence that when these guys 'finally' did play some reserve grade, they struggled for the exact same reasons they were costing us games with in 1st grade..... 'almost' no player is good enough to skip reserve grade.. 1st grade is not the place to see if a player can learn the basics against men and better defensive lines.

The 2 guys I recall who did go back and excel at reserve grade level... were Ramsey & Sullivan. Ramsey played wherever they put him too, I never ever saw him even get his preffered fullback jersey (bar 1 game).. no sooking about it.. and he got better every cup game.. thats what 1st grade players do.. they work hard on their flaws.

I should say that Amone has a decent physical presence and honestly if he could have improved his tackling, we could have worked with that.. he could have ended up in a range of positions, Ctr, Lock who knows as he grows.. I'm still not convinced he was a 5/8... Maybe his career isnt over yet.. time will tell.

I know this year is going to be incredibly lean as for depth.. especially with Allan's injury who would have applied pressure at fullback/wing/ctr.. but we cant play 'maybes' for long periods of 1st grade.. and have fans shed tears if they are asked to go back and work on things in reserve grade.. I will say that atleast Flanno will have those difficult/honest conversations with the players so they know exactly whats needed.. and with the media... which will help fans wrap their head around it... it's something Hook (a first grade coach) appeared incapable of doing...

Dragon David

First Grade
How about we go all out for Lewis Dodd who is currently the scrum half for St Helens. His contract finishes at the end of 2024, although has an option to extend at St Helens but a decent offer to him might lure him here. We know the story though don't we which is we show our interest and the likes of the barking Bulldogs get in the way?