What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Nah I'd much prefer it if the last time he tasted premiership success will always be here at the Dragons.
I agree since77. So Wayne's last grand final win was in 2010 when he coached the Dragons. Since then he has been able to get the Knights to the finals in 2013 (one match short of the grand final). He left the Knights and went back to the Broncos in 2015 making the grand final that year against the victorious Cowboys. In 2018 he got the sack by the Broncos and signed up to coach Souths for 2019 to 2021 where he had success in achieving finals footy for that club in 2019 and 2020 and then the grand final losing to Penrith in 2021.

So as I said, if he goes back to Souths in 2025 he will bring success again but I still don't think he will win another premiership.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope Wayne does not win another and his last GF win was for the Dragons. Then he may regret not coming back to them when they tried to a few years ago. Saints came close but he then changed his mind.

Plus Saints are still recovering since he left in 2011. Bennett wants to win 1 more comp so I can see why he would be tempted to go to Souths. They have good cattle. He just needs to bring in a few and they will be a force again. Lewis Dodd is a good start.

TruSaint

Referee
Anyone that watched the presser by Souths today can see that Bennett is a done deal. When asked by the journos re Wayne, he said without hesitation that they are interested in talking. Solly also said they will not be gambling on a novice as their next appt, and added that Sam Burgess would be welcomed back when he has finished off in the ESL.

Seems to me the plan is to get Wayne back, steady the ship and then Burgess takes over.

Only my opinion, but a few key players in the squad threw JD under the bus. To be fair to Souths, Solly answered all questions even defending their decision not to match Adam Reynolds offer by Brisbane due to cap restraints and length of contract.

Dragon David

First Grade
Anyone that watched the presser by Souths today can see that Bennett is a done deal. When asked by the journos re Wayne, he said without hesitation that they are interested in talking. Solly also said they will not be gambling on a novice as their next appt, and added that Sam Burgess would be welcomed back when he has finished off in the ESL.

Seems to me the plan is to get Wayne back, steady the ship and then Burgess takes over.

Only my opinion, but a few key players in the squad threw JD under the bus. To be fair to Souths, Solly answered all questions even defending their decision not to match Adam Reynolds offer by Brisbane due to cap restraints and length of contract.
Bennett likes challenges and he is a coach that can make a team of players play out of their skin and be in the top 8 most times. If he does sign up with the Bunnies, he will also get some needed players - Cody Walker could be one that might not get a guernsey as he looks past his best. Some others could be on the outer especially the former Dragons players.

JD tried to scapegoat Illias. Didn't have the balls to hold bigger names accountable. Turned out that Illias wasn't the problem.

Solly is also part of the problem at Souths. They won't win till they get rid of him.

TheRev

First Grade
Shitty that the first full week of training under Hornby + Latrel back.. of all the weeks to play them.

Souths arent going as bad as made out though, their draw has been pure shite, but it gets heaps better after this week.. they are going to win plenty of games.

Dragon David

First Grade
Shitty that the first full week of training under Hornby + Latrel back.. of all the weeks to play them.

Souths arent going as bad as made out though, their draw has been pure shite, but it gets heaps better after this week.. they are going to win plenty of games.
That's why JD wanted more time so that the club could change their mind about terminating him.

TheRev

First Grade
Would go after that nutter Jack Hetherington if he was immediately available. We need some big aggro nutters in our pack.
I rly enjoyed hearing Goulds stories about him.. sounds like an absolute fruitcake in terms of taking anybody/anything on in any situation.. and his fitness/strength etc are elite level apparently.. hes gonna spend some weeks on the sideline, but sounds like a bloke you'd want next to you in a scrap....

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I rly enjoyed hearing Goulds stories about him.. sounds like an absolute fruitcake in terms of taking anybody/anything on in any situation.. and his fitness/strength etc are elite level apparently.. hes gonna spend some weeks on the sideline, but sounds like a bloke you'd want next to you in a scrap....

Yea tbh we need some players that won't go into their shell & have a bit of a backbone but size to back it up.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
I remember I went to a game against Penrith a few years ago where he just smashed our whole pack. His discipline indiscretions are a concern but certainly a brutal runner and defender

It's OK to lose some games with a tough draw, but they have conceded just under 36 points per game so far. They have been going very badly. They also had a bye to freshen up and prepare well for the Storm game and then conceded 50.

TheRev

First Grade
It's OK to lose some games with a tough draw, but they have conceded just under 36 points per game so far. They have been going very badly. They also had a bye to freshen up and prepare well for the Storm game and then conceded 50.
I agree, they simply arent the Top8 side they were, and JD's days were numbered....

But they just played the best 7 teams consecutively (including tonights game, and ignoring the dogs game/win), thats a savage draw... imo they will go on a run of wins soon enough.. hopefully not starting against us.... they definitely are not the 17th best team like they are on the ladder currently.

I see a little bit of us in them.. things dont go their way... so they turn up their toes.. but we atleast have an excuse at times with our plodding roster.. they have the personnel to win more games than they lose.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
it is an interesting team to compare vs ours

how many of their starting 13 and top17 would you put in our team?

especially if many dont feel they are top8 team? Where does that place us ?

would you take 8 of their best or more ?

Latest posts