What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

denis preston

First Grade
They will definitely play in one next before we do.
They’ve still got their identity, ownership of the complete Sutherland shire and in turn got the coach we originally wanted and the players we wanted.

The writing is on the wall. Just accept it.

We’ve got an undesirable location as a club, an inept/disunited board and we scramble to retain polarising players who can’t win games. Only thing we got right is the coach by a Steven Bradbury. How long before he becomes the next scapegoat for this failing administration?
Glass have full mate, only way to live !

All this talk of Sydney/Wollongong is a furphy... players are going to Canberra, Melbourne and Penrith to play... I would think these areas would be a lot less desirable than Wollongong and Kogarah.
I do however think an enquiry should be conducted within the club to determine why we continually fail to attract top shelf established talent. Other clubs lower on the table than us seem to be able to get big signings over the line.

Parko1310

Juniors
All this talk of Sydney/Wollongong is a furphy... players are going to Canberra, Melbourne and Penrith to play... I would think these areas would be a lot less desirable than Wollongong and Kogarah.
I do however think an enquiry should be conducted within the club to determine why we continually fail to attract top shelf established talent. Other clubs lower on the table than us seem to be able to get big signings over the line.
Will not happen because the enquiry would leave the finger pointing at those who would have to initiate the enquiry in the first place

Old Timer

Coach
The Illawarra was always a nursery and that is all it ever was.

The best players nurtured in that area always left to go to other clubs to seek their fame and fortune and the lesser players stayed and played in the local coal comp.

In 1982 The Steelers are formed and they fold 17 years later so ask yourself why did that happen if the place is football mad and a sensational place to live?

The Steeler's were a 1 location club and the players didn't have to commute to train yet they couldn't keep the best of it's locals nor could it attract any serious quality from other clubs to enjoy the so called "lifestyle benefits" of Wollongong.

So that being the case how does adding a significant commute enhance the chances of signing quality players with their 10 year careers in front of them?

dungay dragon

Juniors
Without wanting to play devils advocate , i would :
1 Make Cook skipper ,,,highly regarded and respected. great talker and leader
2 If BH objects ..let him go to Byron
3 Sign Illias who already has a combo with Cook from the Bunnies
4 Add bullimoor , val , Hunt or big nelson , and we are looking serious in 25

dungay dragon

Juniors
Without wanting to play devils advocate , i would :
1 Make Cook skipper ,,,highly regarded and respected. great talker and leader
2 If BH objects ..let him go to Byron
3 Sign Illias who already has a combo with Cook from the Bunnies
4 Add bullimoor , val , Hunt [sharks}or big nelson , and we are looking serious in 25

Dragons4me

Juniors
Thanks mate. A heartfelt submission on your part and a somewhat terse reply, I feel. However, to give Webb his dues, at least he gives the courtesy of a reply. I once emailed him, which my family thought was a bit tragicomic, but I appreciated the fact that he replied. The fact is that fandom is a bit ‘funny’, especially when the team you support doesn’t perform well, and especially over a long period of time. There’s no doubt about it though, for many of us it is almost primal. I grew up, living in Kogarah, during the world famous Dragon’s dominance era. Me and all my mates were permanently attached to our footballs. One way or another we played the game every single day, every chance we got. We grew into wearing red and white jerseys. Some kept going into Flegg; some made grade; one made first grade and became an iconic Dragon’s player. The 2010 Grand Final made me cry tears of joy. My eldest boy is a died-in-the-wool Dragon’s supporter (his younger brother isn’t particularly interested, but that’s OK). I half-jokingly tell people that I was born Catholic but I’ll die a Dragon’s supporter. The point is: it’s personal; it’s deep; it’s heartfelt; real, genuine, honest - and yes, sometimes it’s tragicomic.

I could reflect on modern historical events of mergers, so-called Joint Ventures, rule changes, Boards, bunkers, billions … but … I know that The Dragons are, at their core, an irresistible force. Whatever the immovable objects have been over the past couple of decades, they won’t prevail.
Great post Mojo!!
Sounds exactly like my upbringing and where I sit today, and I know there are many on here the same.
Born Red and White. Die Red and White!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Some players move states or even to NZ to play NRL and yet they won't come to Wollongong? Seriously if that is their reason then why would you want them to represent the Dragons. We need people who want to wear the red V no matter what not because they can't be ar$ed travelling. Kogarah to Wollongong is 1hr drive. A lot of people I know that live in the west travel more than that one way to go to the City.

As soon as a player, manager or R&R dude uses that as an excuse then Saints should end discussions then and there.

Saints capt is from Qld for crying out loud so if he can move to the Gong or Kogarah then anyone can for the right price. All they have to do is open the purse strings and travel will not be an issue. Throw in a car FFS.

It's clear the issue is with the management as it appears that Saints enter negotiations, the person gets interested, the media find out and release it for all to see and when it comes to closing the deal it simply breaks down. Whoever does the final step must be doing such a terrible job and questoins should be asked. If I was a sponsor I would be demanding answers before I throw more money into the club. Surely they cannot be happy having their name associated with a club that cannot bring in a player they need to improve their performance.

The Illawarra was always a nursery and that is all it ever was.

The best players nurtured in that area always left to go to other clubs to seek their fame and fortune and the lesser players stayed and played in the local coal comp.

In 1982 The Steelers are formed and they fold 17 years later so ask yourself why did that happen if the place is football mad and a sensational place to live?

The Steeler's were a 1 location club and the players didn't have to commute to train yet they couldn't keep the best of it's locals nor could it attract any serious quality from other clubs to enjoy the so called "lifestyle benefits" of Wollongong.

So that being the case how does adding a significant commute enhance the chances of signing quality players with their 10 year careers in front of them?
I refer back to my original post....have a look at some of the other areas players are willing to go to play NRL eg Canberra .... surely you would have to concede that the Illawarra is not an inferior area in comparison. I still say location is a furphy ... and it didn't stop Wayne Bennett assembling a team in 2010. Some players are pulling up and moving to North Queensland. There is definately an issue with SGI attracting quality players but trotting out location is off track and just muddying the waters.

TruSaint

Referee
Will not happen because the enquiry would leave the finger pointing at those who would have to initiate the enquiry in the first place

Yep... We remember

200w.gif

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think it is many layers for a 32yr old player ie it is way more of a compromise

kids in pre school or school
friendships kids and parents nearby for support with kids
kid might have a special needs support network if required (no one would want to leave if happy)
partners work
property
happy
sport goals
team trajectory where you are vs new
new coaches
etc
etc etc

Agree that this would be uncomfortable for some but surely some on the board must see that the failure to attract talent is a glaring deficiency of the club. It is incumbent on those responsible for guiding the club to ask why and to come up with the solutions.

RedVee

First Grade
Why don’t they just buy a small bus and have it leave from Kogarah? Sydney players just need to drive over there and take turns driving it. Surely the outlay is worth the recruitment returns we’ll get.
They do / did. Years ago. Tonya the Bus

Last edited: