What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Ricky has been at the Raiders as head coach for too long in my opinion. He joined them in 2014 and has recently extended to the end of 2029 meaning he will be there for at least 16 years all up if he doesn't extend beyond 2029. I keep thinking about what Jack Gibson said years ago that if you cannot win a premiership in 3 years at the club then you won't and I believe this. It applies to many other coaches as well for instance Brad Arthur who coached the Eels for just over 10 years with zilch premiership wins.

So Ricky can overhaul his squad as much as he wants but he wont win the grand final. It might happen at the Raiders when Ricky's replacement takes over.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’d take Horsburgh and Guler to add to our prop/ lock rotation. More toughness and suddenly we got a pack. It’s not addin Fonua Blake but the last prop we got from Raiders resurrected his career at Dragons and became a rep player.
Yes Paul Vaughan did. The other prop who was great and came to us from Canberra and helped us win rings for the players in 2010 was Michael Weyman of course.

kit66

Bench
I’d take Horsburgh and Guler to add to our prop/ lock rotation. More toughness and suddenly we got a pack. It’s not addin Fonua Blake but the last prop we got from Raiders resurrected his career at Dragons and became a rep player.

A week ago it was Royce Hunt and Utoikamanu on our wish lists, this week it's Ginger Horseburgers and some other random Canberra forward who's name no-one can remember or pronounce if they could (Emre Guler). Good grief.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Ricky has been at the Raiders as head coach for too long in my opinion. He joined them in 2014 and has recently extended to the end of 2029 meaning he will be there for at least 16 years all up if he doesn't extend beyond 2029. I keep thinking about what Jack Gibson said years ago that if you cannot win a premiership in 3 years at the club then you won't and I believe this. It applies to many other coaches as well for instance Brad Arthur who coached the Eels for just over 10 years with zilch premiership wins.

So Ricky can overhaul his squad as much as he wants but he wont win the grand final. It might happen at the Raiders when Ricky's replacement takes over.
Spot on DD- Brian Smith is another who outstayed his welcome at Parra-remember the 3.00am text messages he was sending his players because he was too intense and couldn't sleep. In the end, he drove them cuckoo.

So many people say there is not much available on the "off contract" list, but with the NRL there will always be plenty of "under contract" players also looking for a move.
I think we will have some interest in Safiti, which could also lead to his brother coming as a package deal.

Parko1310

Juniors
No to D Saf, no to the red head, yes to Emre Guler. Really talented is Guler. D Saf is being pushed out of Newcastle for a reason, he's as soft as a wet tissue. Not what we need in the front row at all. Corey similarly very soft, and overrated because he gets fired up and is 'aggressive'. His output is that of a fringe first grader/second grader though. Emre is a good young talent who probably hasn't reached his potential, but shown glimpses. I'd back Flano to get better out of him. If we sign D Saf and Horsborough, we'll wallow in mediocrity and only be slightly improved, and they will take us out of the market for a real quality front rower. Signing Guler would not take us out of the market for this. Guler will come at a reasonable price, has heaps of upside, and we can still push for the likes of Stefano, Griffin Neame, etc who are the real game changers we need in the front row and where we should be spending our money

A week ago it was Royce Hunt and Utoikamanu on our wish lists, this week it's Ginger Horseburgers and some other random Canberra forward who's name no-one can remember or pronounce if they could (Emre Guler). Good grief.
They both have upside and it is probably that or no one. That's the reality. Not sure why you are so surprised. They both are good players.

Dragon David

First Grade
Spot on DD- Brian Smith is another who outstayed his welcome at Parra-remember the 3.00am text messages he was sending his players because he was too intense and couldn't sleep. In the end, he drove them cuckoo.
Poor Brian Smith - Zilch with Dragons, Parra and Roosters - all made grand finals but although he had successful years in Australia, he fell short of becoming a premiership winning coach, being on the losing end of all four grand finals he coached in 1992 and 1993 with St George, 2001 with Parramatta and 2010 with Eastern Suburbs. He coached teams in the UK comp and made finals but again did not get the prized trophies. Just a very unlucky coach but I thought he was great for us and as I said very unlucky.

Parko1310

Juniors
They both have upside and it is probably that or no one. That's the reality. Not sure why you are so surprised. They both are good players.
Horsborough is not very good. We need to be looking for better than that. Guler is a good player, and perhaps him wanting to return to Sydney where he's from on compassionate grounds has a bit to do with why he's not hit the heights he keeps promising to hit every now and then. He may be struggling living down there, it's not everyone's favourite place obviously. We don't need to spend more on Corey than we would on Guler, Guler is the better player with more potential in my opinion and will come cheaper and on a less lengthy deal. As I've said above, we need to keep ourselves in the market for a game changer. Horsborough simply isn't that. Neame and/or Stefano could be. Even NAS I would rather than Corey, although he's probably not got as much 'game changer' in him as the other two. Would be more handy off the bench really

Horsborough is not very good. We need to be looking for better than that. Guler is a good player, and perhaps him wanting to return to Sydney where he's from on compassionate grounds has a bit to do with why he's not hit the heights he keeps promising to hit every now and then. He may be struggling living down there, it's not everyone's favourite place obviously. We don't need to spend more on Corey than we would on Guler, Guler is the better player with more potential in my opinion and will come cheaper and on a less lengthy deal. As I've said above, we need to keep ourselves in the market for a game changer. Horsborough simply isn't that. Neame and/or Stefano could be. Even NAS I would rather than Corey, although he's probably not got as much 'game changer' in him as the other two. Would be more handy off the bench really
Corey played origin last year which must count for something. Maybe his meteoric rise is over but I could see value there, especially if we lose Jack. I am of the mindset, after so many failed signings, we are going to be getting the leftovers so makes these two seem more appealing. Guler has potential for sure and may just need a change of scenery.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Poor Brian Smith - Zilch with Dragons, Parra and Roosters - all made grand finals but although he had successful years in Australia, he fell short of becoming a premiership winning coach, being on the losing end of all four grand finals he coached in 1992 and 1993 with St George, 2001 with Parramatta and 2010 with Eastern Suburbs. He coached teams in the UK comp and made finals but again did not get the prized trophies. Just a very unlucky coach but I thought he was great for us and as I said very unlucky.
Poor Brian lost 4 Grand Finals, 3 of which was to Wayne Bennett. He wins those and he has 3 GF's and Wayne has 4. The other he lost to an immortal in A.Johns who killed it. The Knights had a hell of a team that year. Up until Johns got injured they were leading the comp. Then he was out for a few games and Parra have a great run to make finals. Then A Johns returns and the rest is history. If Smithy wins those 4 all of a sudden he looks like an immortal coach winning 3 GF's with 3 different clubs. Something Wayne is trying to do before he retires. Poor Brian. He was a great coach imo and unlucky not to win a comp.

since77

Juniors
Poor Brian lost 4 Grand Finals, 3 of which was to Wayne Bennett. He wins those and he has 3 GF's and Wayne has 4. The other he lost to an immortal in A.Johns who killed it. The Knights had a hell of a team that year. Up until Johns got injured they were leading the comp. Then he was out for a few games and Parra have a great run to make finals. Then A Johns returns and the rest is history. If Smithy wins those 4 all of a sudden he looks like an immortal coach winning 3 GF's with 3 different clubs. Something Wayne is trying to do before he retires. Poor Brian. He was a great coach imo and unlucky not to win a comp.
Can't say I feel bad for the last one he lost!

TheRev

First Grade
I've found it fascinating to see the assessments on these props, ppl who watch a lot of footy.. I have some telling me that Horsborough is a plodder and that Guler has real skill and would be a great pickup.. and I have other friends saying literally the exact opposite...

Both these guys however have Tapine and Papalii to lead them.. in an ideal world its a leader of forwards that we r after.. we have good workers already.

I suspect that we are the club with the 950k type offer to Stefano, so I imagine until that's resolved.. we wont make plays on any other forwards.

Last edited:

Biglance

Bench
I've found it fascinating to see the assessments on these props, ppl who watch a lot of footy.. I have some telling me that Horsborough is a plodder and that Guler has real skill and would be a great pickup.. and I have other friends saying literally the exact opposite...

Both these guys however have Tapine and Papalii to lead them.. in an ideal world its a leader of forwards that we r after.. we have good workers already.

I suspect that we are the club with the 950k type offer to Stefano, so I imagine until that's resolved.. we wont make plays on any other forwards.
i agree but i think there is space for stefano and a horsborough

Not seen much of him but we have played the Tigers twice this year and he did his job in both as his season stats attest. An Aussie Schoolboy and Samoan international, the big dude would replace the disappointingly inconsistent Frank Molo.

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I’m guessing we have all only seen a handful games for most players at other clubs like the ones we are mentioning …. and we don’t watch the guys mentioned in detail like we do a playmaker at another club

but I am leaning away for big dollars on Stefano and also Corey - not totally sold on them.

at the right $ and contract length I would be keen on Corey to join. Stefano I think will ask for a lot.

guessing Dolphins are in Corey’s ear

Guler for two years would a good value good metre eater type player we need for those kick off hit ups and or the later 12-15m type hit ups that an AFB does on the third or fourth hit up when rolling down field

reason I say that also is that the stats don’t lie with T Couchman. Nor his brother. They are arguably ahead of any middle at the same young age and especially not real heavy builds either. Another pre season and stacked onto their FG and NsW cup game time now a serious bank of games…….well they could truly be integral players for our best 17 in 2025 and could be closer to that Fisher Harris 103/4kg ish and equally good height.

I also think both could be in our 17 for a long time and probably will feature in a lot of games in 2025

I also think they will leave Lawrie a long way behind in 2025

then Stewart arguably looking very likely for a lock role in 2025/26. If u haven’t watched him closely he is worth watching. Dangerous player around the line in attack as a backtowet primarily no13. Great step, strength and angled running. Another pre season for him also could easily have him at your 190ish 103kg also

Loko Tonga 116kg and 195cm right on their heals before we know it…..more likely 2026 off the bench but could be the real deal

so a Guler and JDB get us through 2025 and maybe 2026 to do the tougher hit up stages of the game unless the Couchman and or Stewart rise above their work

Last edited: