What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
Dolphins and Knights still haven't come to an agreement on Saifiti... I know they've got to fork out a lot of money to get him gone, but no one wants their overpriced, overrated and over the hill players like Elliott, etc. If they're going to sit on their hands we need to make a really serious play for Thompson.. they won't be able to afford him unless they offload players

Mole report (so could be made up): quoting a rival club official saying we'll struggle to find a buyer for Ravalawa because he's on big money and, more or less, isn't good. Haran and co have done wonders with this one. Who thought it was a good idea to put Ravalawa on big money? God the roster management pre-flano was just abysmal

TheRev

Coach
Dolphins and Knights still haven't come to an agreement on Saifiti... I know they've got to fork out a lot of money to get him gone, but no one wants their overpriced, overrated and over the hill players like Elliott, etc. If they're going to sit on their hands we need to make a really serious play for Thompson.. they won't be able to afford him unless they offload players
Obviously the dolphins hit the same wall we did.... they would like DSaf but only at a good price..

However my theory is that clubs are happy to hold off to let the pressure build on Newcastle, so they can have a crack @ Thompson instead.. or Elliot.. Elliot was in the media yesterday, but they are denying that one... atleast its not true 'yet'.. depends how desperate Newcastle get!

But dont think we will get a free go at Thompson.. plenty of clubs will try.

Parko1310

Juniors
Obviously the dolphins hit the same wall we did.... they would like DSaf but only at a good price..

However my theory is that clubs are happy to hold off to let the pressure build on Newcastle, so they can have a crack @ Thompson instead.. or Elliot.. Elliot was in the media yesterday, but they are denying that one... atleast its not true 'yet'.. depends how desperate Newcastle get!

But dont think we will get a free go at Thompson.. plenty of clubs will try.
Yeah you would imagine it's a waiting game.. eventually Newcastle will probably have to fold and just pay the freight for D Saf.. they can't be dumb enough to lose Thompson over it surely

TheRev

Coach
Hetherington on a 2 year deal works for me. Replace Eisenhuth at 13, by 2027 Toby is probably ready to take the 13. We don't need to rush him, he's finding his feet and doing well at that. Get his confidence and readiness up before throwing him in. By this time Stewart/Latu could start to be a regular on the bench, and once one or both find their feet and are ready to start, Toby can play prop.
I dunno if we would buy 3 forwards, not unless we can get rid of Lawrie, Fifita and MMolo perhaps.. but I think id rather 2 bigger props than a 13.. but maybe the pressure of Toby or Ryan playing 13 next year is a bit much at their age.. regardless I'd say we are a slim chance to land him anyway.

Schneider is interesting.. not the best but in my view probably an upgrade on K Flanagan (not that I expect Flano to drop his son for Schneider). At the same time, it solves another problem in our squad with a lack of halves and hooker depth. If you play Schneider in the halves, you can play K Flano at hooker in reserves and if one of Cook or Liddle go down he can come in the following week as the replacement. As it stands with our top 30 so tight and other positions needing attention, we probably can't afford to sign another out and out hooker, yet we don't really have one for NSW cup next year. So maybe that could be the plan?
Schneider I think must be a mistake.. unless its a Nov 1st chat.. because we are considering him as our longterm 2026 Hunt replacement... thats possible.. but no way hes coming in 2025 as halves backup.. when he could be Clearys halves backup instead & play in grand finals.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Interesting reading that Royce Hunt, who has signed with the Tigers...has said it took 8 days from the time he first met Benji to signing the contract...wish our guys could get deals done that quickly..

We should have a relationship with an ESL club like St Helens. If we did we could work with them, providing them opportunities for our players to play their last few years over there and for us to give some of their younger players the experience of playing over here.
Was thinking the same. There are one or two NRL clubs already doing or proposing this.
Tries too hard for sure and comes off as him being a stupid footballer but he's just trying to prove he can still match it with the others a lot of the time out there
An apt description KW. No knocking his enthusiasm but that has taken front seat to his skill since his return here.

TheRev

Coach
I get the frustration re: prolonged contract negotiations... but there are really 3 factors:

(1) Flanno is playing the long game with disciplined cap management
(I know at times we wish he wouldnt... but we will no doubt thank him in 1-2 years time)

(2) Its going to be a while before players are falling over themselves & rushing to sign here
(Right now players wait to see if other clubs will offer instead.. we have to keep improving to change their views)

(3) Cooling-off periods.. sometimes the deal is done but its a 2 week wait.. sometimes the selling club waives it.

Dragon David

First Grade
Interesting reading that Royce Hunt, who has signed with the Tigers...has said it took 8 days from the time he first met Benji to signing the contract...wish our guys could get deals done that quickly..
I think a good signing by the Tigers. Royce Hunt has suggested that the Tigers should also sign up Corey Horsburgh - they were foes some time ago but now see eye to eye and Hunt thinks that him and Horsburgh will put the fire in the Tigers forwards.

We need a couple of firey forwards. Put the fear into opposing sides. I think our lot are piss weak.

Mole report (so could be made up): quoting a rival club official saying we'll struggle to find a buyer for Ravalawa because he's on big money and, more or less, isn't good. Haran and co have done wonders with this one. Who thought it was a good idea to put Ravalawa on big money? God the roster management pre-flano was just abysmal
If we are stuck with Ravalawa put him in the forwards. It may solve more than one problem. Been wanting to see this tried previously.

TheRev

Coach
Adam Elliot from Newcastle worth considering if let go….
I dont know him well but I was looking at his stats and I think he'd be a great fit.. but one of the newcastle insiders said the rumour wasnt true.. but I reckon the closer we get to Nov 1st.. the more likely they would be open to him going.. I think their #1 goal is to clear money to extend Thompson before Nov 1st.

Latest posts