What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
I was gonna say if you wanted to take a chance on a reserve grader, Coric, AlecT etc.. are probably not too far off the mark.. that said though.. there will be some guns sitting in qld/nsw cup for sure if you pick ur mark.. but it needs a careful eye... but its tricky when we have several 19yr olds who are still young but in nsw cup... its why im glad coric is hanging around with Liu and Webster next year.

But it doesnt stop us needing atleast 1 experienced prop for 2025.. ideally 2.

Parko1310

Juniors
This would just be M Molo mark 2. Why do we keep looking at players like this? Not once has it worked out for us. It's such poor recruitment, and the dumpster diving in Q Cup needs to stop in my view. It might just be a t&t, but we have so many younger kids we could put there instead. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be a fan of this

TheRev

Coach
Hazelton is the guy they point too from the Sharks, sitting in cup needing an opportunity.. I am sure there are more of him.. and some props thru injury or for whatever reason need a few more years to be battle-hardened.. if you want to get out of the game of musical chairs going on with 1st grade props right now.. you can take a punt or 2 on guys like this.

For us though, we have enough depth, we would only want 1 who was knocking barn doors down... .. but the Couchmans were probably close to the best stats in cup as it was.. we rly just need 1-2 big fit bodies now, rly guys to lead the pack.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
This would just be M Molo mark 2. Why do we keep looking at players like this? Not once has it worked out for us. It's such poor recruitment, and the dumpster diving in Q Cup needs to stop in my view. It might just be a t&t, but we have so many younger kids we could put there instead. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be a fan of this
Sometimes we need a slightly older guy to be a battering ramp for our younger guys, also sometimes our younger guys aren't up to it as yet, nothing wrong with looking outside of our catchment area.

Parko1310

Juniors
Sometimes we need a slightly older guy to be a battering ramp for our younger guys, also sometimes our younger guys aren't up to it as yet, nothing wrong with looking outside of our catchment area.
I don't disagree with it being okay to look outside. I do disagree on scraping the bottom of the barrel. It genuinely has never once worked for us. M Molo, Luke Page, Justin Hunt, Lachlan Maranta, Dan Russell, the list goes on. Time to be looking at better opportunities than players like this. I know they're just playing a role in the squad, but the recruitment of these players is mediocre at absolute best. I mean if we're going to sign a dud, at the very least sign a dud with some NRL experience that can actually fill a gap if really needed. And stop going to the Q Cup for players who aren't young, because it is a worse quality competition than the NSW cup.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I don't disagree with it being okay to look outside. I do disagree on scraping the bottom of the barrel. It genuinely has never once worked for us. M Molo, Luke Page, Justin Hunt, Lachlan Maranta, Dan Russell, the list goes on. Time to be looking at better opportunities than players like this. I know they're just playing a role in the squad, but the recruitment of these players is mediocre at absolute best. I mean if we're going to sign a dud, at the very least sign a dud with some NRL experience that can actually fill a gap if really needed. And stop going to the Q Cup for players who aren't young, because it is a worse quality competition than the NSW cup.
I agree this moneyball approach rarely works. You need a blend of mature expensive players in key spine positions and promising juniors in the filler positions, that are almost interchangeable with the right coaching structures

Latest posts