What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Laurie lacks physical strength. Just compare his body to other players, backs or forwards, in other teams. Soft. No bum, no thighs, no upper body strength. Other teams put him on the ground easily and he doesn't have the strength to stand and offload. No hitting power.

It is six months until the new season. It isn't a long time for a body transformation, but he desperately needs a professional program of heavy squats, deadlifts and bench press, maybe clean and jerk for explosiveness. Currently, he is not at a pro level.
At the game on Saturday against Canberra was discussing the exact same thing about Lawrie with one of my mates, re No power, soft, no ass, no thighs etc..

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I see both sides

but he is cheap
Effective and if a younger player emerges he will be depth

I also see the downside in 2024 if TomE wasn’t doing his 60tackles a game around the ruck

jeeezzzuzzzz we might have been shredded another few games against strong teams where we had close wins

his work rate and grappling is very very good for long minutes so we can have punch with our props for shorter minutes rotating
TE would be on minimum contract $140k -$200k great depth signing, good for culture and can teach the young kids about the 1%ers.

Nutz

Bench
I just heard on 2GB 3pm news that Hunt has played his last game with the Dragons and has moved to the Tits for 2025.

Can anyone confirm?
In the Dragons review it was raised that Hunt did not play up to his expected standards. His extension has been removed but he's still signed for 05.
I don't think there's any supporting statements to say he's gone.
Slow news Thursday folks.

TheRev

Coach
I mean the Tigers need a middle after missing Horse.. but surely we r a better location than them for RCG.. its just that Flanno sounds like hes cracked it over Reg perhaps going back on his word.. or not looking to buy in to the red v perhaps.. hopefully cooler heads will prevail if rcg genuinely doesnt have something lined up.. and maybe he does.. tbh were all a bit blind here following the media narrative.

Nutz

Bench
I mean the Tigers need a middle after missing Horse.. but surely we r a better location than them for RCG.. its just that Flanno sounds like hes cracked it over Reg perhaps going back on his word.. or not looking to buy in to the red v perhaps.. hopefully cooler heads will prevail if rcg genuinely doesnt have something lined up.. and maybe he does.. tbh were all a bit blind here following the media narrative.
Hey Rev.
Mate I joined in the banter on our WT forum about the possibility of signing RCG. I'm fence sitting because the guy is an international, SOO prop who just won Parra's top award. The reason things are on again off again with him is he's wanting 3yrs.
I don't want him for 3 years, not at his age and imo you guys should be wary too.
If you guys or the Tigers got him for 2 then I'd be happy

hewi

Bench
spec saver won’t be seeing Flanagan any time soon, he sees what we all have been saying . Well done to him.

Ben Hunt told his play not up to standard in scathing Dragons review​

By Michael Chammas and Danny Weidler

September 12, 2024 — 5.09pm
Save

St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt was one of several players who was told his performances during the final month of the season weren’t up to the standard expected as part of a scathing end-of-season review.
Hunt, who just 12 months ago sought a release but was convinced to stay and be part of Shane Flanagan’s Dragons rebuild, was recently told a proposed contract extension would also be taken off the table for the moment.
947a8aaaee1d2f87c68f127fd255d827df0d6b52.jpg

Play Video
https://archive.md/037g6/again?url=...scathing-dragons-review-20240912-p5ka3s.html#

Joey drops Hunt bombshell on Dragons

Play video
1:36

Joey drops Hunt bombshell on Dragons​

Andrew Johns says he has heard Ben Hunt could be leaving the Dragons and heading to the Titans due to a Roosters signing.
Hunt, who still has one more year to run on his contract, worth around $1.05 million in 2025, attended his end-of-season exit review with the club’s football staff on Thursday morning.
The 34-year-old was told that his performances – including his defence, kicking game and leadership – when his team’s finals hopes hung in the balance were not befitting of his standing in the side.

The Dragons faded in the final few weeks of the competition to miss out on a playoff berth, with Hunt’s displays in those games put under the microscope in his meeting with coach Flanagan and assistant coach Dean Young.
Hunt wasn’t the only player made aware of the club’s frustration at the way they had finished the year, but the Dragons’ recent unwillingness to commit to a contract extension has once again raised a question mark over his future.
The Dragons weren’t happy with Hunt’s end to the season.

The Dragons weren’t happy with Hunt’s end to the season.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
As first reported by this masthead in April, the Dragons had opened conversations with Hunt about an extension but later decided to park discussions about 2026 until after this year’s State of Origin series.
The club has since indicated to Hunt that, based on his performances, they were not prepared to commit to an extension and wanted to see how he started the 2025 campaign as a 35-year-old before determining if he would remain on their books, and at what value.

Sources with knowledge of the situation talking on the condition of anonymity due to the confidential nature of negotiations told this masthead that the Dragons will enter the marketplace for a quality playmaker, however scarce they may be at the moment.
Hunt last year asked for a release, which was rejected by the club, and was asked by incoming coach Flanagan to give him 12 months to prove he could turn the Red V around.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan (centre) with star players Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax.

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan (centre) with star players Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
Hunt isn’t seeking a release, but Flanagan and the Dragons are now discussing whether it is in the club’s best interest to keep the veteran halfback if they could leverage him to orchestrate a positive roster outcome.
Hunt was told at Thursday’s meeting that he was not free to explore options at rival clubs, but sources with knowledge of the situation talking under the condition of anonymity told this masthead that the Dragons are unlikely to stand in his way if he requests permission to do so.

The rumour mill has been in overdrive after Andrew Johns declared that he couldn’t see Hunt, one of the team’s best players since joining the joint venture from Brisbane seven years ago, being at the Dragons in 2025.
“Do you think Ben Hunt will be there next year? No,” Johns told Wide World of Sports’ Freddy and the Eighth.
“I’ve heard [Titans hooker] Sam Verrills may be going back to the Roosters ... have a look at Brandon Smith, he won’t play until mid-next year.
“So that opens the way for Ben Hunt to go to the Titans. Because Ben Hunt has been [saying] the last couple of years ‘I want to go back to Queensland’.”

justadragon

Bench
spec saver won’t be seeing Flanagan any time soon, he sees what we all have been saying . Well done to him.

Ben Hunt told his play not up to standard in scathing Dragons review​

By Michael Chammas and Danny Weidler

September 12, 2024 — 5.09pm
Save

St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt was one of several players who was told his performances during the final month of the season weren’t up to the standard expected as part of a scathing end-of-season review.
Hunt, who just 12 months ago sought a release but was convinced to stay and be part of Shane Flanagan’s Dragons rebuild, was recently told a proposed contract extension would also be taken off the table for the moment.
947a8aaaee1d2f87c68f127fd255d827df0d6b52.jpg

Play Video
https://archive.md/037g6/again?url=...scathing-dragons-review-20240912-p5ka3s.html#

Play video
1:36

Andrew Johns says he has heard Ben Hunt could be leaving the Dragons and heading to the Titans due to a Roosters signing.
Hunt, who still has one more year to run on his contract, worth around $1.05 million in 2025, attended his end-of-season exit review with the club’s football staff on Thursday morning.
The 34-year-old was told that his performances – including his defence, kicking game and leadership – when his team’s finals hopes hung in the balance were not befitting of his standing in the side.

The Dragons faded in the final few weeks of the competition to miss out on a playoff berth, with Hunt’s displays in those games put under the microscope in his meeting with coach Flanagan and assistant coach Dean Young.
Hunt wasn’t the only player made aware of the club’s frustration at the way they had finished the year, but the Dragons’ recent unwillingness to commit to a contract extension has once again raised a question mark over his future.
The Dragons weren’t happy with Hunt’s end to the season.

The Dragons weren’t happy with Hunt’s end to the season.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
As first reported by this masthead in April, the Dragons had opened conversations with Hunt about an extension but later decided to park discussions about 2026 until after this year’s State of Origin series.
The club has since indicated to Hunt that, based on his performances, they were not prepared to commit to an extension and wanted to see how he started the 2025 campaign as a 35-year-old before determining if he would remain on their books, and at what value.

Sources with knowledge of the situation talking on the condition of anonymity due to the confidential nature of negotiations told this masthead that the Dragons will enter the marketplace for a quality playmaker, however scarce they may be at the moment.
Hunt last year asked for a release, which was rejected by the club, and was asked by incoming coach Flanagan to give him 12 months to prove he could turn the Red V around.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan (centre) with star players Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax.

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan (centre) with star players Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
Hunt isn’t seeking a release, but Flanagan and the Dragons are now discussing whether it is in the club’s best interest to keep the veteran halfback if they could leverage him to orchestrate a positive roster outcome.
Hunt was told at Thursday’s meeting that he was not free to explore options at rival clubs, but sources with knowledge of the situation talking under the condition of anonymity told this masthead that the Dragons are unlikely to stand in his way if he requests permission to do so.

The rumour mill has been in overdrive after Andrew Johns declared that he couldn’t see Hunt, one of the team’s best players since joining the joint venture from Brisbane seven years ago, being at the Dragons in 2025.
“Do you think Ben Hunt will be there next year? No,” Johns told Wide World of Sports’ Freddy and the Eighth.
“I’ve heard [Titans hooker] Sam Verrills may be going back to the Roosters ... have a look at Brandon Smith, he won’t play until mid-next year.
“So that opens the way for Ben Hunt to go to the Titans. Because Ben Hunt has been [saying] the last couple of years ‘I want to go back to Queensland’.”
Tell us something this whole forum didn't know.

Latest posts