What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
You can see how hard its been for us to land anyone.. let alone a half.. Flanno is going to make sure he gets something for Hunt.. hes not going for free.. even if its not like for like.. someone that we otherwise could not get out of contract.

There is no way we are getting Katoa, I know he didnt handle the length of the 2024 season, but all young halves struggle to last a full 27 round season.. there isnt a chance in the world we get him.. Averillo however could be a different story, if Flanno sees him as a legit 6 to parter Kyle...

I wouldnt want Nikorima or Milford.. and I also cant imagine the Dolphins relying on O'Sullivan as their only real 7 at the club.. they are going to want him and Katoa on the books.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
You can see how hard its been for us to land anyone.. let alone a half.. Flanno is going to make sure he gets something for Hunt.. hes not going for free.. even if its not like for like.. someone that we otherwise could not get out of contract.

There is no way we are getting Katoa, I know he didnt handle the length of the 2024 season, but all young halves struggle to last a full 27 round season.. there isnt a chance in the world we get him.. Averillo however could be a different story, if Flanno sees him as a legit 6 to parter Kyle...

I wouldnt want Nikorima or Milford.. and I also cant imagine the Dolphins relying on O'Sullivan as their only real 7 at the club.. they are going to want him and Katoa on the books.
Averillo ain't a 6 - he'll be back in the centres next year

(i thought this before Fuller got injured as well tbf)

TheRev

Coach
Flanno did say on the Dragons den podcast we are after a middle & outside back, JAC is an upgrade on Feagai for sure.
Yah the Hunt thing is a seperate transaction, we need atleast 1 big middle, and 1 outside back.. that outside back really needs to cover centre though (we lost 4 of them).. JAC is a pure winger.. so I dunno what they do there.. CTui/SFinau are our starting wingers I would suggest currently.

TheRev

Coach
We desperately need a 7 wth a long kicking game. I’d hate to be relying on Kyle doing that. Pop gun at best.
It's tricky because I dont think we're going to source a genuine 7 for 2025.. 2026 might be another story.. I can only see potential 6's at the Dolphins or Titans..

I would however like to source a 3rd half into our system (I think we have the funds and then some), even if its a speculator/cheapie/old-dude.. just in case it doesnt work out with Kyle..

possm

Coach

If the Dolphins want Hunt, they only need to keep a backup halfback in their squad. So, Katoa or O'Sullivan could be the trade.

Unsainty79

Juniors
It's tricky because I dont think we're going to source a genuine 7 for 2025.. 2026 might be another story.. I can only see potential 6's at the Dolphins or Titans..

I would however like to source a 3rd half into our system (I think we have the funds and then some), even if its a speculator/cheapie/old-dude.. just in case it doesnt work out with Kyle..

Yes, it'll be hard to land a 7. We're probably looking at an O'Sullivan or Tannah Boyd.
I would imagine some of the idea to letting Hunt leave, will be forward paying some of his wage against our current players for 2025. It will leave more in the 2026 kitty to go hard at top-drawer half.
Not sure how much of the cap you can pre-pay, but it has been done before by the Knights

Jubilee

Juniors

Yep. The halfback problem is probably only going to be solved longer term (2026-27) through internal development and buying in good juniors. In the meantime, we just have to dig around between the sofa cushions for someone who can just stop us backsliding and can maintain standards until the kids come through.

We are in our current spine situation bcs we threw away Robson (insane) unexpectedly lost Cody Ramsay (a 100% potential star imho and I am still gutted over him) and then Sullivan and Amone didn't live up to their promise. So that meant there was a huge gap in the production line. But I think Flanno is onto that development side of things and I am sure he has a better eye for talent than his prededessors.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep. The halfback problem is probably only going to be solved longer term (2026-27) through internal development and buying in good juniors. In the meantime, we just have to dig around between the sofa cushions for someone who can just stop us backsliding and can maintain standards until the kids come through.

We are in our current spine situation bcs we threw away Robson (insane) unexpectedly lost Cody Ramsay (a 100% potential star imho and I am still gutted over him) and then Sullivan and Amone didn't live up to their promise. So that meant there was a huge gap in the production line. But I think Flanno is onto that development side of things and I am sure he has a better eye for talent than his prededessors.
Wow, to see those names Sullivan and Amone again who I have forgotten about . A lot of us thought - come on Dragons get these kids into the top grade. They will "kill" it. They certainly did - to themselves.

Ramsey was our hope for long term fullback. Would have been pretty close now to being similar to Dylan Edwards in my opinion if he wasn't unfortunately struck down by that chronic ulcerative colitis illness - all the best to him. Robson of course has been killing it for years up at the Cowboys and will in my opinion have a good crack at helping the Cows beat the Sharks this weekend.

We won't be going anywhere next year without a top notch middle forward. We have to get him. No ifs or buts.

Hunt is a big problem though. All the speculation that he won't be with us in 2025 is only that. If he stays for his last hurrah in league with us next year, he cannot be the captain.