What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The salary cap is not working.

Lockyer should be on around the $550k minimum.
If he is on $250k then he must have the worst manager in the history of the world.

adamkungl

Immortal
anyone who thinks the salary is working must support
Brisbane, Storm, Dragons.
it's not working!!!!!
Time for a points system, would be easier for the NRL to manage as they can't seem to find cheats with out a tip off.
The NRL is a joke will be until we get a independent governing body and News Ltd is gone for good.
Mention in NRL in Melbourne as i did at the weekend and people just laught at you.

No! The points system would aim to ensure every team has an equal amount of talent. This is NOT how a competition should be run.

The salary cap ensures that poor clubs have the OPPORTUNITY to compete in the player market financially, but it does not and should not ensure an even distributing of talent.

Who the hell would want to watch a competition where every team has 12 wins 12 losses? NOBODY. It would be sh*t boring.

Fans want to see talented teams play football, not mediocre teams.

BDH

Juniors
You seem to talk a lot but without substance..besides insults
explain the role of the thorobreds at your club...that the NRL cant investigate
Having lockyer on the Official books for the NRL to look at at just f**kin ridiculous
Paul Kent was right of the Matty Johns show..no f**kin way is lockyer on that piss poor amout

The Thoroughbreds have no official connection to the club. If people gift other people money and toys, is that a matter for the NRL? It is a matter for the ATO, but I'm unsure it is a matter for the club or even that players would legally be obliged to inform the NRL of such gifts.

Lockyer is on $250k OUT OF THE CAP. I fail to understand how you and that excuse for a journalist Kent, completely ignore the fact there has been an increase of $100k to the veteran player allowance, bringing the total figure to $300k. Which mean Lockyer would be on $550k, of which $250k counts to the cap.

Don't be sour that your club spends their veteran allowance on Simpson/ Cross/ Gidley/ insert some other neverwas here.

Loudstrat

Coach
and i would be happy if my club had to amalgamate provided it was with Penrith which would be logical geographicly.
If it meant we could get teams back in Perth and Adelaide then I would be for it.
F*ck off. No way a successful club like Parramatta should merge to re-admit two pathetic failure.

The reason it seems unfair is that we have a terrible distribution of clubs, the game is too Sydney centric. Moves like getting rid of third party contracts and giving equal tv coverage will just hamstring the game. Why try to bring the competition back to the level of the weakest teams. Its not just the NRL clubs competing with each other, the NRL is also competing with other sports. You'll never achieve complete equality, to do so you'd need to punish the successful teams, which will only weaken the NRL as it competes with other codes here and overseas. Your not just competing with the Broncos for players, each French rugby club has a salary cap of about $12m, if you continue to try to keep the competition at the level of Cronulla you'll end up watching reserve grade.

If the cap is 4m and one club has a 12m budget, another 22m, thats an extra 10m that will go to making sure that club is the best in the competition. They'll have the best coaches, support staff and facilities. Naturally players will gravitate to the club which offers the best conditions over the club thats run on chook raffles. Players want to make rep teams and have off field sponsorship oppurtunities, a market like Brisbane offers that.

Lots of rubbish in there, and false assumptions.

You reckon Sydney has the lions share of struggling of clubs? Take Cronulla out of the equasion and all the remaining strugglers are from outside Sydney. In fact, the non Sydney clubs can be broken up into 3 groups: 1) Those owned and therefore propped up by News Ltd, 2) Strugglers and 3) New Zealand Warriors

WHY SHOULD THERE BE ANOTHER TEAM AT SUNCORP? Because every second weekend the ground is empty. And because of that, Brisbaneites attend half the amount of games per head of population that Sydneysiders so. If Brisbane loves leage as much as Sydneysiders, then a second side wold not diminish the Broncos crowds one iota.

it is working ok,i mean the quality is down but that's cause the clubs are bringing in players way to young
i think there's also a lack of good coaches in the nrl

lockyrulz

Juniors
You seem to talk a lot but without substance..besides insults
explain the role of the thorobreds at your club...that the NRL cant investigate
Having lockyer on the Official books for the NRL to look at at just f**kin ridiculous
Paul Kent was right of the Matty Johns show..no f**kin way is lockyer on that piss poor amout

LOLZ I talk a lot without substance???

Read your own drivel lately?

All I've seen you do is accuse the broncos of being over the cap, and sprout a well worn rumor that every f**ker has heard that lockyer does drugs, under the infantile assumption that you are somehow 'in the know' coz some friend of yours heard it from some guy.

Where is your evidence of any of these things c**k smoker? Oh that's right, you don't have any.

f**king irrelevant moron, still in drugcastle you are probably considered a genius.

morley101

Juniors
The Salary Cap is a waste of time, there so many different ways to rort it.
A charity is created by wealthy individuals,then a non-profit organisation ( ie Leagues club) "donates" to the charity. Then a high profile player does paid
work for the charity and pays tax there is absolutely nothing the NRL can do.

I think there has to be a cap on third party deals with non sponsers, other wise it favours the one city team far too much. I believe for example Scott Prince has a number of such deals. Sydney teams need sponsership for there sides and could not funnel the same amount of non sponsers to their individual players.

gUt

Coach
I think there has to be a cap on third party deals with non sponsers, other wise it favours the one city team far too much. I believe for example Scott Prince has a number of such deals. Sydney teams need sponsership for there sides and could not funnel the same amount of non sponsers to their individual players.

Again a suggestion for punishing or limiting success. We want every dollar we can get in this code, right? Or is it only ok if it's Sydney clubs that can rake it in? Why don't they; why can't they? I think we all know.

Newcastle is a one team city. The Cows have two cities to themselves. The Warriors are a fkn one team country. Yet this issue is brought into relief only because of the success of the Broncos.

This Year?

Immortal
it's not and hasn't been for the past 10 years.
Brisbane haven't been thru a down cycle they keep making the finals, Dragons same. Yet some other clubs struggle every year like Canberra and Cronulla and recently Nth Qld.
The talent is not spread out it's all in Brisbane , St George-Illawarra and Melbourne ( we now know why).

The Dragons didn't make the finals in '07 and have barely scraped into the 8 a couple of times in the last decade so they have been through "down cycles". As for talent, if they weren't so well coached they'd be a fringe top 8 team.

I guess the Titans, Sea Eagles, Tigers, Panthers, Roosters and Warriors don't have any talent either :sarcasm:.

Cronulla made the preminary final in '08.

Nth Qld played in a GF in '05.

Raiders finished 7th in '06 and 6th in '08.

Scarves

Juniors
At the beginning of the year many judges including myself predicted the Broncos to miss the eight for the first time since 1991. Since 2007 the club had lost Petro, Webcke, Hannant, Thorn, Clinton, Carroll, and Ennis, all forwards and they went into this season without Karmichael Hunt with no obvious replacements. That they've done well is a credit to the club, a great credit.

Brisbane have an advantage sure, they are a one team city type club in a heartland area for our game. This isn't the problem from Brisbane, it's the problem of Sydney clubs. Whether we like it or not, there are too many Sydney clubs in the Sydney metro area in competition for the same corporate dollar that the Broncos monopolise up there. Sydney clubs should look outside the square or suck it up and stop whinging. I'm a fan of a Sydney club but looking at the big picture, I love the game and I don't want mediocrity rewarded either.

The Broncos are and always have been the benchmark for how to run a club since their arrival in 1988. They have the infrastucture in place and absolutely no predators Sydney clubs have to face facts by either merging, relocating or alternatively just get on with having peaks and toughs that the Broncos do not experience. AS a Manly supporter I want the boys to stay in Manly and manage those peaks and troughs in a highly competitive Sydney market. But I'm not naive and I know that knocking back 20,000 to a home game on the Central Coast at a super stadium and instead sticking with 13,000 hardy fans at a dilapidated Brookvale which is situated in an electorate that the pork barrelling Labor party will never win isn't good for business.

Well done Broncos, stay strong, lead the way.

netic

Juniors
The salary cap is working fine and is definately balancing out the comp, Clubs like Saints and Broncos just manage there teams well.

Look at the Nrl compared to other comps.

Since 2000 the Nrl has had 8 different Premiership winning teams, which is great, means alot of different fans have expeirenced seeing there team as champions.

The AFL has had 6 different premiers in the same period

The English superleague has only had 3 different Premiers since the year 2000.

I think the above numbers are proof that the cap is doing its job.

I know as a tigers Fan that i couldnt have experiecned my team winning a premiership back in 05 without the cap in place.

I do think it has to be improved but i think its doing a great job

Jason Maher

Immortal

There is, or at least there used to be, a cap on total third party payments. If this has changed, then that pretty much renders the cap null and void.

adamkungl

Immortal
Isn't capping 3rd party sponsorships a restraint of trade? If a player can get some non-sponsor company to pay him a large sum of money for appearing on a billboard, then why shouldn't he be allowed?

ozjet1

Grab a tissue sweetheart.

Just because my club wasn't dumb enough to persist with a tard like Finch at half, a numb nut like Stuart as coach, only to replace him with an imbecile like Fittler, and pay overs for nobodies like Mason.

We do well because we are a one team town and are managed by people with half a brain. Your tears are funny though, keep them coming :lol:

1. one of only 3 clubs within an entire rugby league state.
2. one of only 2 clubs in the populated south-east qld corridor.
3. 18 yr headstart over the other club in south-east qld corridor
4. only club in major rugby league city.
5. club prestige - the majority of great qld players of last 20 yrs have been thru the joint - "i wanna be a bronco"
6. owned by news ltd.

from all of that, you might be able to work out that it is easier for such a club to attract and retain decent players (particularly those from qld) in such an environment.

bfoord

Juniors
5. club prestige - the majority of great qld players of last 20 yrs have been thru the joint - "i wanna be a bronco"
6. owned by news ltd.

from all of that, you might be able to work out that it is easier for such a club to attract and retain decent players (particularly those from qld) in such an environment.

and there are only so many players the QLD clubs can sign. the problem is that the Sydney clubs wait for the QLD club to spend plenty of money on developing players (who at their age still feel some loyalty to the club that developed them).

there is absolutely nothing stopping NSW clubs from sending their scouts to QLD in the search for talent.

BTW, even though News LTD are our major shareholder, they don't prop us up financially like they do the Storm. they just collect their divedends.

Frailty

First Grade
it's not and hasn't been for the past 10 years.
Brisbane haven't been thru a down cycle they keep making the finals, Dragons same. Yet some other clubs struggle every year like Canberra and Cronulla and recently Nth Qld.
The talent is not spread out it's all in Brisbane , St George-Illawarra and Melbourne ( we now know why).

Funny... Cronulla were one game out of the Grand Final in 2008... Only the last two years they have struggled... Previous to that they have been fairly consistent in making the finals.

The salary cap is working

In the case of Brisbane, once a new team is introduced there in the not to distant future you will see them have bigger “down” cycles. Melbourne were cheats and the Dragons have made a lot of finals series but done nothing in them.

11 teams have been involved in at least 1 of the last 10 grand finals:

Storm
Broncos
Roosters
Knights
Eels
Warriors
Panthers
Dogs
Tigers
Cowboys
Manly

The Dragons appeared in 99 (1 year earlier and the Titans only entered the comp in 07. So that just leaves Canberra, Souths and Cronulla and all those sides have appeared in finals football in that time.

That right there is the definition of an even comp, of course the salary cap needs modifying and there will always be strong/weak clubs but the cap has proven to be a great equaliser.

Case closed.

lockyrulz

Juniors
6. owned by news ltd.

Riggghhhtttt.

Those things forced the roosters to buy Mason?

Ok sweetie..

Latest posts