What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The salary cap is not working.

simostorm

Bench
If you went through the Brisbane side this year and compared it to Parra's I reckon many people would say Parra have the better team on paper, based on rep games etc. Brisbane only have Lockyer, Folau, Thaiday and Hodges who are Test standard players and have lost the likes of Hannant, Hunt, Boyd, Civoniceva, Taylor in recent years. The rest are kids mostly or relative nuffies like the front row. Parra have Hayne, Moi Moi, Cayless, Hindmarsh, Inu and then went and paid a heap for Poore. I don't think you can say they are missing out on top players. They made the GF last year FFS, with almost the same squad.

And Brisbane have gone through some leaner years anyway, like when they have finished around 7th or 8th on the ladder. And you have to think that the champion nature of Lockyer was the only thing keeping them in the hunt in those seasons too. In fact take him out this year and they'd be out of the eight for sure.

You can complain about the salary cap for several reasons but saying it hasn't evened out the playing field isn't one of them. Brisbane would have most of the Qld side if they were able to spend what they like.

I reckon Parra have had easily the best looking squad on paper in the league for the past few sasons..

ashton

Juniors
The problem is not the salary cap it is the number of sides in Sydney 10 (we need less side) . Compared to Brisbane which has one. We need another side in Brisbane ASAP, but most people want to bring back the bears.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If it's true that Inglis will be listed under the salary cap at 300k then it's a joke, but you can't blame Inglis for taking it and you can't blame the Broncos for exploiting the flaws in the system.

The salary cap needs to be simplified, but it's doing it's job. Every club has the same options open to them.

The Salary cap is working, it gets cheaters caught out (melbourne 10, bulldogs 02, warriors 06) it keeps it balanced, theres nothing btw all 16 clubs now, so get over it and live with this decision or else support another sport code a f**k off!

meltiger

First Grade
The Salary cap is working, it gets cheaters caught out (melbourne 10, bulldogs 02, warriors 06) it keeps it balanced, theres nothing btw all 16 clubs now, so get over it and live with this decision or else support another sport code a f**k off!

Yep, when you look at it, the NRL has more unique premiers over the last 10-15 years than the bastardised AFL system.

Plus, as evidenced by the Dogs last year, Roosters this year, the salary cap isn't allowing dynasty teams and ensures teams that recruit smartly can make a quick rags to riches style turnaround like the Dogs nearly did last year, and Easts can certainly do this year.

:D to what I'm guessing is the younger generation sooking about the Broncos... Hint, they have been accused of cheating the cap for 20 bloody years. Do people not think Brisbane's books are not the most scrutinised in the game?

They do things better than everyone else, rather than sucumb to jealousy and the desire to pull them down, maybe we should be asking why our (Sydney based) clubs aren't as well managed as them? Strive to match them, not drag them down to a lower level.

bluey

Bench

Some just have not been caught, and some dont want to see some caught.

CMUX

The salary cap is working

In the case of Brisbane, once a new team is introduced there in the not to distant future you will see them have bigger “down” cycles. Melbourne were cheats and the Dragons have made a lot of finals series but done nothing in them.

11 teams have been involved in at least 1 of the last 10 grand finals:

Storm
Broncos
Roosters
Knights
Eels
Warriors
Panthers
Dogs
Tigers
Cowboys
Manly

The Dragons appeared in 99 (1 year earlier and the Titans only entered the comp in 07. So that just leaves Canberra, Souths and Cronulla and all those sides have appeared in finals football in that time.

That right there is the definition of an even comp, of course the salary cap needs modifying and there will always be strong/weak clubs but the cap has proven to be a great equaliser.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Dragons always in the finals? We missed out in 2000, 2003, and 2007, the latter two due mainly to a massive injury toll.

People keep saying there needs to be more teams in Brisbane and fewer in Sydney. Well instead of alienating more fans on top of all those who left because of Superjoke, the NRL should offer big bikkies to any Sydney club willing to relocate to SEQ (Sunny Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, or Logan). First two clubs to bite the bullet get the prize. I know Gallop is concerned a club like Cronulla might use the switch purely to pay off their debts, so they could add a stipulation that the grant for switching cannot be used for that purpose. Heck, they could even give them an interest free loan or some such (assuming there's enough money there for that). I don't know that anyone could object to this kind of arrangement after the ongoing efforts to prop Melbourne up.

adamkungl

Immortal
Grab a tissue sweetheart.

Just because my club wasn't dumb enough to persist with a tard like Finch at half, a numb nut like Stuart as coach, only to replace him with an imbecile like Fittler, and pay overs for nobodies like Mason.

We do well because we are a one team town and are managed by people with half a brain. Your tears are funny though, keep them coming :lol:

Good management & vision. Doesn't guarante a thing though.

Don't f**king cry just because your football department has made some howlers with their retention and recruitment decisions.

Wayne Bennetts influence permeates through all clubs though.

Daniel Anderson. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I agree with these. I can't think of any team that has been unsuccessful recently tha has anyone but themselves to blame. Nobody was tipping the Broncos to do anything this year. But through good management and persistance with some talented but inexperienced juniors (who last year copped a 40 point hiding from Cronulla) have come through a down period quickly and painlessly.

Roosters - Failure to adequately plan post-Fittler. Put all our eggs in the dud-Finch basket, failed to sign a five eighth, kept the wrong forwards, didn't buy a decent coach until hitting rock bottom, and bought players like Mason.

Parramatta - Tipped highly every year with a good team on paper. A complete failure to perform.

Sharks - The rot started with Chris Anderson. Tore the heart out of the club and it hasn't been found since. An unsuccessful side finds it difficult to recruit big names, always has always will. Hopefully the Sharks find some success next year with some astute recruitment and good coaching.

The salary cap's job isn't to hide your management's ineptitude.

Packy

Bench
It's refreshing to see fans of other clubs not blindly bash the Broncos no matter what. It's one thing to hate on a team for footy reasons, another to hate a club for being proven cheats. But the rivers of tears about the Inglis signing is pure jealousy and the whingers prove themselves to be incapable of anything resembling objective reasoning.

One day the Broncos may indeed be shown to be cheats or have cheated the cap in past seasons. If that day comes, depending on the circumstances I'd reconsider my allegiance. Most Broncos fans who've commented about this have stated same. Until then I'll continue to believe that Brisbane is using its extremely fortunate position as a major Australian city's only team to show the rest of the clubs what a successful club looks like. And I'll continue to gain nourishment and great satisfaction from the bitter words and general hate of my team.

What kinda info you want? http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/broncos-at-talbot-pubs/story-e6frexni-1225757585136 kind of thing or would you need all the players to personally send you a letter?

Titanic

First Grade
Cap is working and the management just needs to apply the rules well and get off their butts and take their product to the market... 3rd party player sponsorship is often a more dynamic option for companies than direct club sponsorship.

Relocating clubs? Yeah why not? This is an issue that the "independent commission" can never resolve if the clubs have the majority of ownership of the commission... they won't be voting to relocate themselves, now will they?

meltiger

First Grade
It's refreshing to see fans of other clubs not blindly bash the Broncos no matter what. It's one thing to hate on a team for footy reasons, another to hate a club for being proven cheats. But the rivers of tears about the Inglis signing is pure jealousy and the whingers prove themselves to be incapable of anything resembling objective reasoning.

One day the Broncos may indeed be shown to be cheats or have cheated the cap in past seasons. If that day comes, depending on the circumstances I'd reconsider my allegiance. Most Broncos fans who've commented about this have stated same. Until then I'll continue to believe that Brisbane is using its extremely fortunate position as a major Australian city's only team to show the rest of the clubs what a successful club looks like. And I'll continue to gain nourishment and great satisfaction from the bitter words and general hate of my team.

Missed this post this morning.

Agree 100%

I despise the Broncos with a passion and celebrate your losses :)

Doesn't mean one can't admire what they have been able to build, have acheived and continue to acheive.

As you say, footy hatred is one thing, doesn't need to blinker you from reality though

Goddo

Bench
The salary cap is working. The problem is the full cap isn't covered by the NRL, and there is a discrepency in terms of sponsorships, staff, facilities, revenue. This is due to some clubs having larger markets (to this I say stiff sh!t, its up to the clubs to find the fans, and if they can't, relocate), but also media exposure being unequal.

This is the issue that needs adressing. If the salary cap makes the competition so "even" acording to the NRL, why not have a predetermined schedule for the season? Thats where the Broncos, Dragons and Storm have an unfair advantage... A salary cap is great for leveling on field competition. We need an equally fair season schedule. Otherwise, its up to the clubs to make it work.

gUt

Coach
Missed this post this morning.

Agree 100%

I despise the Broncos with a passion and celebrate your losses :)

Doesn't mean one can't admire what they have been able to build, have acheived and continue to acheive.

As you say, footy hatred is one thing, doesn't need to blinker you from reality though

For the record I don't mind the Tigers ;-)

Sleep

Juniors
Brisbane are the best run franchise in the competition by far. On top of that they're the only team in a huge town.

I'm not going to point out other teams but they've been their own worst enemy in some cases.

The salary cap is working. No team has gone back to back since 1992 and 1993. Melbourne doesn't count because they cheated the cap. Whinge about inconsistency and underperforming players before you go looking outside your backyard.

Iafeta

Referee
The only potential thing I can see that prevents inequity in the salary cap is the unsolicited third party payments.

This is a pie in the sky idea, and probably not very well thought through in reality, I guess it'd be a bit of a minefield, and I'm guessing say Brisbane or Sydney or Auckland businesses don't want out-of-town talent advertising, but I wonder if it could be centralised under the NRL banner and distributed. The third party system is designed to top up the top talents wages, but if one club can have 20 blokes receiving these deals and another small town club (albeit still with good crowds) can only get 5, then if the third party payments are from national/international producers wishing to promote their products and services on a wider scale, could we not go with a centralised system with the players being ranked say 1-150 and we scale the third party endorsements suited to their position in the rank? It wouldn't necessarily matter where they come from then. I look at this from a more long term situation where when we expand, and the clubs are struggling to set up their marketing and communications policies they may not be able to attract top players in the initial period due to the lack of third party awareness of the NRL brand comparative to other well established centres.

As I type it I do see faults... such as how to police it... And to be perfectly honest, a club shouldn't be punished for creating proactive third party policies. I'm sure these third party endorsements are off the back of strong work with those businesses to create value awareness in marketing the players.

Latest posts