What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Rich102

Staff member
The obituaries have all been penned on the New Zealand Warriors' dismal season, so it's time to look forward and dream a little about the possibilities for next year.

Warriors HQ have signaled their intentions to scout out a "super-coach" to lead their team next season, and there are probably four or five bonafide options hanging around the NRL coaching boxes at the moment.

Before I compare my top two picks, let's rule out Wayne Bennett, Desmond Hasler and Brian Smith.

Bennett can't live outside of Australia for long periods due to his need to fly back to Brisbane regularly.

While Hasler has only just started creating a new dynasty at the Bulldogs, so it would be near impossible to pry him out of that position.

And Brian Smith has effectively ruled himself out after leading the Roosters to consecutive years out of the top 8.

That leaves Craig Bellamy and Tim Sheens.

Bellamy has been lucky to be blessed with some of the greatest players to ever don a jersey.

But he's also molded a bunch of journeymen and no-names into a disciplined mean-spirited unit who produce the goods time and time again.

The rumour mill suggests that Cooper Cronk has a clause in his contract that he will move wherever Bellamy moves.

So if the Warriors want 'Belly-ache' then they may need space in their salary cap for Cronk.

Bellamy would bring a discipline and consistency never seen before at Penrose. But he'd also be surly with the media and pick a few more Australians than Brian McClennan did.

His sides have generally played quite a dour style of football aimed at sucking the life out of their opposition, rather than trying to entertain fans with thrilling interplay, despite having talents like Cronk.

The other possible super-coach is Tim Sheens.

He seems to be struggling to inspire his Wests Tigers side to match their feats from the mid-2000s. But Sheens tends to produce exciting teams who play with width and speed and his four Premiership titles are a testament to that. He also has a proven record for turning around under-performing clubs which fits the Warriors current state.

And there's a chance he could entice Benji Marshall to follow him across the Tasman.

So not much separates the pair.

Both Sheens and Bellamy would need to be bought out of their contracts, both coaches could bring a world-class halve to partner and mentor Shaun Johnson, and both have the pedigree to bring a Premiership home.

But Sheens would allow a bit more razzle-dazzle which is important in a two-code town like Auckland, where the off-field impression is just as important as the on-field results.

So if all the stars could be aligned to bring about a Johnson/Marshall combo - my vote would tipped in Tim Sheen's favour

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/7581890/Who-can-take-the-Warriors-forward

Rich102

Staff member
I thought this was interesting:

"At half-time in the match against Wests Tigers at Bluetongue Stadium, Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran was shown on the Channel Nine coverage looking closely at a laptop in the Sea Eagles dressing room.
It is the latest example of how NRL clubs are using sports science and technology to gain an advantage over their rivals - and there is no coincidence that the leading teams off the field are also the top performing ones on it.
Manly and Melbourne have traditionally led the way in those areas, and this year the other teams in the top four, Canterbury and South Sydney, are catching up under new coaches Des Hasler and Michael Maguire - a former assistant to Craig Bellamy at the Storm.
Changes … Souths coach Michael Maguire. Photo: Wolter Peeters

What Foran was looking at on the laptop was footage from the first half that had been edited by Sea Eagles analyst Simon Healey to show him why certain moves hadn't come off or weaknesses in the Tigers defence that could be exploited.
Manly are among a number of clubs that use software developed by iOn Sport that enables coaching staff to review vision from the game's broadcasters or their own fixed cameras while a match is in progress so they can adjust their tactics.
''It is basically an extension of the coach sitting up in the box sending down a message to the sideline - now he can do that with a little more intelligence to back it up,'' iOn Sport director Will Badel said.
''He can say to the player, 'You know that shape that we ran at training? Come and have a look at this.'''
Badel said a number of other clubs either had the software or would soon be getting it, and there is little doubt the Storm, Bulldogs and Rabbitohs are among them.
The clubs and coaches are reluctant to talk about what they do to gain an edge over their opponents but anyone who visits Manly's Narrabeen training complex or Canterbury headquarters at Belmore Oval can see cameras erected on poles.
The Sea Eagles under Hasler were notorious for their secrecy, with the windows of the team's gym blacked out so outsiders could not see equipment the club used, such as altitude chambers.
The Herald revealed Manly's use of calves' blood in 2008, and this year Bulldogs players have been drinking shots of beetroot juice before matches.
''Everyone is looking for an edge, whether it be the cows' blood thing or statistical analysis or other high-performance areas, and they are very secretive about it because the minute you advertise it to everyone you haven't got the edge any more,'' one club official said. ''For years and years, the Broncos had the edge because Wayne Bennett had that statistical information that every club has got now exclusively in Brisbane before it even got out to anyone else.''
During Bennett's three-year reign at St George Illawarra, the Dragons formed a relationship with the sports science department at Wollongong University, and Souths have recently formed an association with Sydney University.
Under Maguire, the Rabbitohs recruited former Storm and Melbourne Rebels high-performance manager Troy Thomson, and Souths players have regularly paid tribute to him this season for either getting them back on the field sooner than expected after injury or ensuring they are fitter than in previous seasons.
''We always wear GPS vests at training so you can see all the kilometres we clock up,'' five-eighth John Sutton said. ''Troy Thomson is really good with all that stuff. He looks after us and makes sure we get everything we need to do our job out on the field and to recover.
''A few of the boys used to lose weight during the season but 'Thommo' said that is just all bullshit. He said you can still keep weight on and keep your strength, and I think I have put on two or three kilos from last season.
''Most of the boys have kept their weight on during the season so he is really smart in that way, and he has really got us all prepared well.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...over-rivals-20120830-253cd.html#ixzz259t3ziFa

Warmess

Juniors
Dude, you can't not use the buzz words, you'll make Bluey look like an idiot! He 'shortened and sharpened' training.

Bring on the laptops and the beetroot juice next season. And Bellamy.

Rich102

Staff member
I can't see Bellamy coming here so I hope we have something else lined up.

Micistm

Bench
Not that I think Bennett is a go, but why is he ruled out due to 'needing to fly to Bris often?' Its not a massive undertaking nowadays is it? You don't have to board the Nostromo and go into hypersleep for months FFS

Rich102

Staff member
Not that I think Bennett is a go, but why is he ruled out due to 'needing to fly to Bris often?' Its not a massive undertaking nowadays is it? You don't have to board the Nostromo and go into hypersleep for months FFS

Fitting the trip to Brisbane into a busy week with the team sounds a bit demanding.
During the season I don't think there is a lot of downtime.

Iafeta

Referee
They can put a pen through the name T. Iro. Anyone involved in preparing this mob through the last off-season should be cut from the club. Those blokes have a responsibility to prepare a side fit enough to play 80 minutes. They have failed their brief miserably, all of them.

Iafeta

Referee
W Scurrah can bugger off back to shampoo too. I wonder if this was a 'job for the boys' with Bluey over Ivan. Disgraceful.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7595220/Brown-loss-of-Cleary-a-mistake-by-Warriors

Brown: loss of Cleary a mistake by Warriors

LIAM NAPIER
javascript:window.print();
javascript:alterStoryTextSize();

Last updated 05:00 02/09/2012

11​

5931499.jpg
JASON OXENHAM/Fairfax NZ
HE'S A KEEPER: Warriors star Lewis Brown says the club should have done more to keep Ivan Cleary as coach.

Relevant offers

League

Maloney's head in Sydney as NZ stint endsStorm extinguish Tigers' NRL seasonManly Sea Eagles too strong for Titans in NRLKiwi Alex Glenn glowing after saving BroncosWarriors will rue being out of Luck in 2013Inglis brilliance helps Bunnies into top four spotBrisbane Broncos scrape into playoff spotsMcCullough to bring up 100th NRL gameBeleaguered Warriors face worst nightmareRaiders' faith in coach Furner rewarded

Warriors star Lewis Brown has fired a parting shot at the club, saying its management should have done more to keep Ivan Cleary as coach.
The Warriors' current woes can be traced back to the middle of last year, when a premature lack of faith allowed Cleary to walk out the door.
Now, nearly one year after Cleary led the club to its healthiest state, with all three teams reaching their respective grand finals, the Warriors are without a head coach after Brian McClennan was sacked with two games remaining.
That they narrowly avoided this year's wooden spoon accentuates the rapid demise. There is a sense that short-sighted club officials underestimated Cleary's influence; the decision to let the former fullback go to the Panthers was a mistake and that this year's capitulation was avoidable.
The Sunday Star-Times understands Cleary's stern approach earned rare respect from his players. Given that relationship, there is a feeling the Warriors should have matched the three-year deal offered by the Panthers. Instead, six years investment was discarded and Cleary was granted an early release.
“I would have loved for the club to hold on to Ivan,” said Brown, who will link with Cleary next year. “To be honest if he was still here I would have stayed.
“I've got massive respect for Ivan. I believe I played my best footy under him. He gets the best out of me.
“A lot people say he's very short with his words but I don't like to get on the awkward side of him,” Brown told the Sunday Star-Times.
For many players, Cleary's decision to leave came as a shock.
When the most successful Warriors coach announced midway through last year that he would be joining the Panthers, his team were 12th. His troops then rallied to reach the grand final.
“Ivan is a great coach. [Panthers boss] Phil Gould obviously knew that to go that hard for him,” departing Warriors standoff James Maloney told theSunday Star-Times.
It is understood Cleary's preference was to stay at the Warriors. His family were well settled in Auckland and the benefits of his local development vision were starting to flourish.
Cleary, with a year-and-a-half to run on his contract, told Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah of Gould's proposal and requested an extension in Auckland. It is understood Cleary's approach was purely about long-term security. Money was not a driving factor.
Scurrah claims to have written proof he told Cleary his job was safe and a contract extension was possible. But no formal offer to match the Panthers deal was ever presented and Cleary felt, on that basis, the owners and management had lost faith in him.
“There was no loss of faith. I guaranteed Ivan in writing that his contract would not be terminated and we would review an extended contract,” Scurrah told the Star-Times.
“I outlined a basis for an extended contract and he would have got it. He just had to make the top eight [in 2012]. That wasn't good enough. He rang [owner] Eric [Watson] and asked for a release."
The Warriors are thought to be offering millions to lure a supercoach saviour. That pursuit raises the prospect that Any replacement outside Craig Bellamy, Des Hasler, Wayne Bennett or Tim Sheens will be viewed as second-rate.
It also downgrades the credentials and loyal service of caretaker coach Tony Iro, who is seeking promotion, and Junior Warriors coach John Ackland.
With a little more faith and true long-term vision, the Warriors might not have found themselves in this predicament.
- © Fairfax NZ News

total cleanout required

iro
avkland
scurrah
bell

gone

price in as football manager
rubin as football adviser

appoint a new coach asap and let them surroundthemselves with the people THEY want

Iafeta

Referee
Why not Price as CEO. He's qualified, he's got contacts, he's a proven leader, and he knows football. A bloke like Price would have seen and stopped the off season nonsense that Scurrah allowed to happen under his watch.

Iafeta

Referee
Get Hart back too. He was right to be outspoken about McClennan replacing Cleary.

shiznit

Coach
total cleanout required

iro
avkland
scurrah
bell

gone

appoint a new coach asap and let them surroundthemselves with the people THEY want

why on earth would you sack ackland??

hes the best junior coach/scout in the business.

if the warriors let him go... he would have 15 other clubs climbing over themselves to sign him.

One Warrior

Bench
I agree keep Ackland as juniors coach, the under 20s are in the finals with the chance for a third straight premiership, use Ruben as a mentor for the young guys, but Steve Price must be more involved, either as football manager or give him Wayne's job.

ozbash

Referee
total cleanout required

iro
avkland
scurrah
bell

gone

Na, Ackers is worth his weight in gold.

Believe Pricey has not long graduated with a degree in sports bussiness management ...

Latest posts