What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

why on earth would you sack ackland??

hes the best junior coach/scout in the business.

if the warriors let him go... he would have 15 other clubs climbing over themselves to sign him.

total cleanout not partial

he was mclennons right hand man
gotta go

ozbash

Referee
I agree keep Ackland as juniors coach, the under 20s are in the finals with the chance for a third straight premiership, use Ruben as a mentor for the young guys, but Steve Price must be more involved, either as football manager or give him Wayne's job.

Donn Mann does a top job as football manager.

Micistm

Bench
Don't like Scurrah, don't trust 'em. His Radio Sport interview post Blueys sacking didn't change that. A politician trying to save his own miserable skin. Someone needs to bring up some quotes of his just after Cleary was leaving. He often contradicts himself, and when something happens its generally someone elses fault.

Ackland, I'm happy for him to stay on, personally. But get a courtesy coach for Bluey, Scurrah, Bell, Iro and save some room for other managers and players once that review is done.

ramraider275

Juniors
I'll go support another club if Brian Smith comes here, the same with Sheens.

Bro I'll keep the faith but spend more time in the local footy scene, but those 2x names makes you wonder, i'll go out on a limb, and look at a rookie if we can't secure a decent rated coach...:?

shiznit

Coach
Brian Smith is a good bloke... and a great coach...

The Warriors could do ALOT worse.

Like Sheens for example...

shiznit

Coach
Don't like Scurrah, don't trust 'em. His Radio Sport interview post Blueys sacking didn't change that. A politician trying to save his own miserable skin. Someone needs to bring up some quotes of his just after Cleary was leaving. He often contradicts himself, and when something happens its generally someone elses fault.

Ackland, I'm happy for him to stay on, personally. But get a courtesy coach for Bluey, Scurrah, Bell, Iro and save some room for other managers and players once that review is done.
i actually disagree... i think it would be silly to sack scurrah right now...

i heard that interview your talking about... and i can see where your coming from.

but i think people need to step back and look at scurrah's performance across his whole tenure with the club.

remembering he took over from Mick Watson... and walked straight into the salary cap mess... on the whole i think the club has been run really well under him.

i dont think anyone should forget about this season though... nor do i think he will... hopefully he learns from this season and the club is better for it.

this season has been more of an aberration than the norm under Scurrah.

shiznit

Coach
What do you guys think about Nathan Brown or Michael Hagan??

ohh god no... the dudes clueless...

Michael-Hagan-6310011.jpg

MKEB...

Staff member

i heard that interview your talking about... and i can see where your coming from.

but i think people need to step back and look at scurrah's performance across his whole tenure with the club.

remembering he took over from Mick Watson... and walked straight into the salary cap mess... on the whole i think the club has been run really well under him.

i dont think anyone should forget about this season though... nor do i think he will... hopefully he learns from this season and the club is better for it.

I see your point. He has been a lot more honest than Mick Watson; but does that go through to bad business decisions though in the last 18 months; staffwise or no?

I will also gladly concede that he has got the club to ridiculous membership numbers.

MKEB...

Staff member
I was at coaching seminar held by Hagan a couple years ago...dear dear dear

Izz

Bench
I'd rather have Kearney than those two.
+1

And while Ackland's done a great job with the U20s, i reckon Tony Kemp could be successful coaching our 20s. Shouldn't part of Ackland's job be identifying where the FG squad is lacking and look at training juniors up in those positions? I mean, maybe i'm wrong and Toka Likiliki is the next breakout winger, but i somehow doubt it. What really grates me is that other clubs pick up great wing talent from the junior talent pool of NZ, but we can't seem to spot any of them. But we can sure churn out a backrower or twenty!

shiznit

Coach
+1

And while Ackland's done a great job with the U20s, i reckon Tony Kemp could be successful coaching our 20s. Shouldn't part of Ackland's job be identifying where the FG squad is lacking and look at training juniors up in those positions? I mean, maybe i'm wrong and Toka Likiliki is the next breakout winger, but i somehow doubt it. What really grates me is that other clubs pick up great wing talent from the junior talent pool of NZ, but we can't seem to spot any of them. But we can sure churn out a backrower or twenty!
the last time The Warriors let John Akland go he ended up sending the likes of Sonny Bill Williams and Roy Asotasi to the Bulldogs.

the guy has a great track record with getting juniors in NZ.

Micistm

Bench

He allowed Cleary to leave, didn't fight at all...yet is now claiming he did.
He has been caught out before...the likes of the can't take home games away from Auck due to contractual agreements...a few weeks later they are talking of taking games out of Auck on occasion
He claims getting rid of Inu was a coaching call...yet has gone very quiet that he & Cleary tried to offload him last year as well.
In the interview post Blueys sacking he was fobbing off blame left right and centre...but put his hand up for the occasional little thing to take ownership of, to prove hes a guy of honour.
I don't trust him. We are having a clean out, and getting some Aussie pros in...IMO we should get a CEO and Coach, and start a new era. Any Kiwi mate that has a job through the jobs for the mates scheme can then be very afraid...

shiznit

Coach
I want a coach who will ensure that we don't do things by halves
IMO bro that has less to do with your coach and more to do with level of personal responsibility of the first grade footballers in your club.

i look at a bloke like Nathan Hindmarsh... Hindy has had a bludger of a season... the Eels have wrapped up the spoon... but Hindy is turning up week in week out topping tackle counts and making massive chases for try saving tackles.

He is what you call a genuine first grade footballer.

shiznit

Coach
He allowed Cleary to leave, didn't fight at all...yet is now claiming he did.
He has been caught out before...the likes of the can't take home games away from Auck due to contractual agreements...a few weeks later they are talking of taking games out of Auck on occasion
He claims getting rid of Inu was a coaching call...yet has gone very quiet that he & Cleary tried to offload him last year as well.
In the interview post Blueys sacking he was fobbing off blame left right and centre...but put his hand up for the occasional little thing to take ownership of, to prove hes a guy of honour.
I don't trust him. We are having a clean out, and getting some Aussie pros in...IMO we should get a CEO and Coach, and start a new era. Any Kiwi mate that has a job through the jobs for the mates scheme can then be very afraid...

did he allow Cleary to leave?? was it his decision only?? you sure the Board and Owner didn't have a big say in not re-signing Cleary??

It sounds like you place far too much importance on role that Scurrah plays.

I agree with you that he has some serious questions to answer... especially over the last 18 months... but when you consider the job he has done since he took over from Mick Watson... the last 18months or so is only part of the story.

and also remember this... The Warriors are a privately owned football club... its going to come down to Owen Glenn and Eric Watson... from an owners point of view the club is in a much better place now than what it was when he took over.

that will have a huge bearing on whether Scurrah keeps his job.