What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The secret to the storms success.

Fathead

Bench
Melbourne Storm's hard way
  • <LI class="byline first ">Russell Gould <LI class="source ">From: Sunday Herald Sun
  • March 07, 2010 12:00AM
116964-craig-bellamy.jpg

Craig Bellamy at Storm training. Source: HWT Image Library

EVERYONE in rugby league wants to know the secret to Melbourne Storm's success.

Two premierships and four successive grand final appearances is unheard of in the modern era, so it's clear it is doing something special.

And the best team in the NRL has become the best team in the world after winning the World Club Challenge in Leeds.
Storm has a core of experienced stars, who know each other's game inside out, and also arguably the best coach in the game. But those ingredients alone don't automatically equal success.
So what is the key to Storm's ability to back up each success?
The best people to mine for an insight are those new to the club, who have a fresh perspective.
And to a man they believe the answer is a simple one - Melbourne works harder than everyone else.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Luke MacDougall, who joined Storm late last year, has been at three other NRL clubs and seen a lot of different training methods.
But he has never encountered anything like a Melbourne pre-season where every session, be it skills, weights or rehab, is intense and full of purpose.
"It is probably the hardest thing I have had to go through," the 28-year-old said. "The amount of running, the toughness of the training sessions and the intensity of training is so high.
"I have suffered more than most because my body hasn't been used to it. It has been quite a shock. Newcastle (where he was last season) was very skill based, very science based. But they don't work half as hard as the guys down here."
Todd Lowrie, who has done pre-seasons at Parramatta and Newcastle, agreed and noted how a summer at Storm not only made him physically fitter, but mentally stronger as well.
"It is that hard it all comes down to your mental capacity to handle it, and I think that is what they are trying to achieve," Lowrie said.
"They want you to be strong in the important moments, the pressure moments. That's their big philosophy and and they do a good job of achieving that.
"It's quite a bit tougher than anything I have done; the volume, the intensity, everything about it."
But while the strength and conditioning staff work the players hard, they are sensible, too.
Last week an extra fitness session with Ryan Tandy, the day after the big forward arrived home from the UK, was stopped early when it was clear the travel had taken its toll.
And individual training programs were created for the players who may not have coped as well as others with the big trip.
The ingrained work ethic of each player at Melbourne comes straight from the top.
Storm coach Craig Bellamy was renowned as the hardest trainer in his playing days with Canberra.
Bellamy was never the most talented player but squeezed every last drop out of himself by working harder than everyone else.
MacDougall noted the team's superstars led the way and set the example for everyone to follow.
"The club is very lucky that the players are so grounded and hard working, which is not the case at other clubs," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/melbourne-storms-hard-way/story-e6frf9if-1225837801177?

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I have a lot of respect for Bellamy and the Storm's amazing success, but that is a load of rubbish.

Angry_eel

First Grade
there's a lot of factors. training is only one of them. 1-6-7-9 is also the thing.

Storm has alot of hardworking no bodys who don't get noticed as much.

Gaffman

Juniors
there's a lot of factors. training is only one of them. 1-6-7-9 is also the thing.

And lets not forget the "3" or is he a 4? hrm... now i can't remember :p oh well.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And getting away with murder in the rucks has absolutley nothing
to do with??? :roll:

born an eel

Bench

6?
give me a break, as soon as he was asked to work hard for his position he spat the dummy.

being offside for the majority of the GF helped a lot.

Fathead

Bench
I actually believe it - It may be that we are just jealous of the fact that they do work harder than any other team.
Hard work breeds success.

Kornstar

Coach
I actually believe it - It may be that we are just jealous of the fact that they do work harder than any other team.
Hard work breeds success.

There is no question they work hard and have plenty of talent!

Doesn't change the fact that the referees have let them get away with murder in the ruck for 4 years now and that will not change this year either!

They have 3 of the top 5 players in the world in their side and a brilliant coach who gets the best out of his ENTIRE squad, one questions why they need any advantage on top of that?

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Doesn't change the fact that the referees have let them get away with murder in the ruck for 4 years now and that will not change this year either!

They have 3 of the top 5 players in the world in their side and a brilliant coach who gets the best out of his ENTIRE squad, one questions why they need any advantage on top of that?
Well it helps
when you are owned by the same mob that half the NRL......

You can only imagine how "successful" rugby league would be in Melbourne, if they were not winning comps.:?;-)

Funny how the Storm were not included in the race to 10000. Maybe they should have made it a handicap system, and given the storm a target of 100?:lol:

If the NRL think that a successful Storm team ,will mean an increase of fans in the Victorian market, they are dead wrong. Rugby League or any other winter sport for that matter, will ever be of any consequence in Victoria. End of story.

Parra Steve

Juniors
well the fact they've been around for about 12 years and have around the same fanbase says alot, but i guess we'll wait and see how many people they can draw into the new stadium

Eels Dude

Coach
Whatever. As if Lowrie is going to say anything else. Every player always does the "this is the toughest off season training I've been through...." when they join a new club or get a new coach.

Fathead

Bench
Well I might be on my last infractions so I cannot comment on what is said above !!!
I do recall talking to both PJ and before that with Stu Kelly and they both said that there was a huge difference between the training regemes of the Broncos and the eels. PJ actually said that when he arrived at the Broncos, he was really behind the team regarding not only fitness but where his head was with dedication to training/skill sets etc...
I had always thought that the main reason that the eels had fallen away n big games was due to their fitness (both pysically and mentally)
I believe that Ando is well on the way to addressing this but Todd Lowries comments do trouble me. It does seem, according to Todd, that we are still behind the Storm with how we prepare our players.
We can whinge all we want about the refs and the interpretation but if player after player go to the Storm and rave about their preparation and they then compete in 4 straight grand finals (including winning 2 ) perhaps the other teams better get their affairs in order.

Fathead

Bench
Whatever. As if Lowrie is going to say anything else. Every player always does the "this is the toughest off season training I've been through...." when they join a new club or get a new coach.

I dont believe that - we constantly hear " I love it here" or " these blokes are the best blokes" but I hardly hear " This is the toughest I have ever trained preparing for a season"

Kornstar

Coach
Well I might be on my last infractions so I cannot comment on what is said above !!!
I do recall talking to both PJ and before that with Stu Kelly and they both said that there was a huge difference between the training regemes of the Broncos and the eels. PJ actually said that when he arrived at the Broncos, he was really behind the team regarding not only fitness but where his head was with dedication to training/skill sets etc...
I had always thought that the main reason that the eels had fallen away n big games was due to their fitness (both pysically and mentally)
I believe that Ando is well on the way to addressing this but Todd Lowries comments do trouble me. It does seem, according to Todd, that we are still behind the Storm with how we prepare our players.
We can whinge all we want about the refs and the interpretation but if player after player go to the Storm and rave about their preparation and they then compete in 4 straight grand finals (including winning 2 ) perhaps the other teams better get their affairs in order.

No doubt the Eels are behind the pack when it comes to fitness, that has been evident for quite some time imo, I think Ando began changing that last year and we reaped the rewards in the second half of 2009.

We were only 7 points away from the Storm last year in the GF, so if Ando has upped the anti on last years training then we may be even closer to the Storm this year, Todd has not been there this year so he cannot comment on this year, only last year.

I think the Eels need that mental training more than physical as we crumbled yet again in the first half of the GF last year......if Ando can fix that, i think we can physically handle any team!

Eels Dude

Coach
I dont believe that - we constantly hear " I love it here" or " these blokes are the best blokes" but I hardly hear " This is the toughest I have ever trained preparing for a season"

It came out of every Eels players mouth last year when Daniel Anderson came on board.

Its true, we do train hard. We have the world's greatest athlete in Billy Slater.

I don't think FUi Fui Moi Moi can carry your team much longer. He'll burn out by round 10 and with that the Eel's season in tatters.

Latest posts