What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sharkies are back

roopy

Referee
Good to see.
A club with a 13 year history is the sort of thing that makes me confident that League is in America to stay, and I always followed the Sharks in the early days because they were the team with the most American feel. It's League US style embodied.

pennpool

Juniors
They have always been the team that has predominantly american and or permanent resident/green card holders.

in the purple patch when they were main stays in the semis they rarely had foreigners. 2 max a season but for the most part 1 a year.

this year we(the sharks) will be reentering the comp with absolutly no imports. it maybe a bad idea on our part being that every team in the league has foreign talent but i see it as a way to develope american players and not rely on a standout import(s) to carry the team. When taking the steps to put the team back together i was told by many, "to be competitive in this league you have to have foreigners" that maybe true but the sharks are certainly going to put that theory to the test.

pennpool

Juniors
As it stands, with the developments in the United States, the sharks have not "officially" committed to any competition. The Sharks board and players are having there second official meeting tonight. Obviously the direction of the Sharks will be discussed. However, there will not be a decision made on that direction tonight, Due to a board member not being available for the meeting and vote.

For all the news on the sharks go to http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/buckscountysharksrlc/ and become a member. be interactive on there forum. have your say and give your input.

pennpool

Juniors
Good luck from all at the Sharks on your tour to England Ryan
With the recent news that Philadelphia will be the first domestic Team to play competitive games outside of the continental US, it has also created an opportunity for a small number of players outside of the Fight organization to gain a wealth of experience from this trip.

The Sharks have a vested interest in the fight with some of there players opting to play for them in the year that the Sharks were inactive. This also created an opportunity that could not be missed by a player with such caliber as Ryan Sodano. The tour of England is an event organized by former sharks players Stephen Thompson and Phil Shipos and is a player funded personal trip and commitment. It was discussed that the squad consist of a minimum of 20 players and spots would be made available to other players around the country. With the Fight having 15 players committed they opened up this opportunity to others.

Ryan, the sharks full back and winger, was one of the first players to jump at this opportunity and was smart to do so as others showed interest but places were filled fast. Whilst in England, Ryan will benefit from a wealth of experience and interaction with some of the biggest rugby league organizations in the world. This includes Training sessions with St helens Rugby League Club. (St Helens are the most successful British Rugby League team since the summer era of rugby began). Rochdale Hornets Rugby League Club. (Rochdale are one of the longest running clubs in the UK and have been at the forefront of rugby for a long time). At Rochdale they will be playing a 9 a side game and will be put through there paces by Rochdale coach and former super league and challeneg cup winner, John Stankovitch. Whilst in the UK Philadelphia have also secured the services of Scotland RL and swinton Lions RL Head coach Steve McCormack to be there guest head coach. During this time Ryan will be involved in 2 full competitive games and will take in the Biggest Domestic Rugby League rivalry game in the world, St Helens v Wigan Warriors. This Super League Match up is not for the faint hearted. With Wigan being the most successful British team and St Helens being the most dominant of the summer era, add to the fact that both towns are split by mere miles and you have the recipe for heated battle.

Look for big things from Ryan Sodano in the upcoming season for the Sharks. This experience will surely push one of Americas brightest young talents to the forefront of the Sharks playing staff.

pennpool

Juniors
At this time, the Bucks County Sharks have committed to the AMNRL for the 2011 season.

The sharks board thought it be in the best interest of the team to walk before they could run. With the news that if a team forfeits a game in USARL, they would be subject to ejection from the league. The sharks board made there decision based on a shorter schedule and slightly less travel. The sharks player pool for this year will be mainly rugby union players with very little if any rugby league experience and players with no rugby experience at all. It was noted that in the past some players making the switch have issues with the physicality of rugby league, this coupled with a lot of travel and a new beginning with regards to funds and match day costs it was in there best interests to make this years commitment to the AMNRL.

The sharks need to test the water with there new set up, strategy and players and feel the AMNRL offers this platform the best.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
That's interesting that any team that forfeits a game in the usarl is subject to expulsion. The main offenders of forfeiting are in the usarl. Didn't dc forfeit to pittsburgh, pittsburgh forfeit to the knights and fairfax only have a handful of players turn up for their play off against the warriors?

tcc_dc

Juniors
That's interesting that any team that forfeits a game in the usarl is subject to expulsion. The main offenders of forfeiting are in the usarl. Didn't dc forfeit to pittsburgh, pittsburgh forfeit to the knights and fairfax only have a handful of players turn up for their play off against the warriors?

The Slayers forfeit had nothing to do with Player availability...there was no guarantee by the AMNRL heads that there would be referee for the game.

It was decided to postpone between Pitt and DC until it was resolved. But the AMNRL decided it was a forfeit, amazingly engough after the testy game between the Slayers and the Bulls. When DC protested, it went intot he usual black hole of non-answering.

The forfeit cost DC the ability to host a game in the Playoffs. The beneficiaries, the Bulls and the Knights...

So there are your facts...

\

Last edited:

Fairfax Eagles

Juniors
and fairfax only have a handful of players turn up for their play off against the warriors?

No, we had 20 guys make the trip. Most were late due to heavy traffic in/around NYC and kick-off was delayed, but the full squad was there.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach

The biggest serial offenders are an AMNRL aligned team.

deluded pom?

Coach
No, we had 20 guys make the trip. Most were late due to heavy traffic in/around NYC and kick-off was delayed, but the full squad was there.

I believe the ref wouldn't wait for the guys stuck in traffic because he wanted to get back to NYC to watch the Knights game!!!

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
I seriously doubt that about the ref! Thats a serious allegation. I am sure New Haven were prepared to wait as long as possible. It is also a fairly serious allegation to say the Bulls or the Knights benefitted from one.
Will Pitt and DC be providing referees from this point on?

Seriously, without the Bulls or Knights, Jacksonville and Philladelphia would have no one to playthe last few years!

Forfeits happen in a developing league. They are unfortunate but they happen. My point is it is fine to talk tough about expulsion for forfeits, lets see what happens in reality. As we know there are teams in the proposed new comp that have trouble mobilizing numbers. Will the powers that be be sympathetic to a team that is trying to grow or will they be tough from the start.

Choo Choo

Juniors
I seriously doubt that about the ref! Thats a serious allegation. I am sure New Haven were prepared to wait as long as possible. It is also a fairly serious allegation to say the Bulls or the Knights benefitted from one.

Seriously, without the Bulls or Knights, Jacksonville and Philladelphia would have no one to playthe last few years!

Forfeits happen in a developing league. They are unfortunate but they happen. My point is it is fine to talk tough about expulsion for forfeits, lets see what happens in reality. As we know there are teams in the proposed new comp that have trouble mobilizing numbers. Will the powers that be be sympathetic to a team that is trying to grow or will they be tough from the start.

I hate to burst your bubble Mr. Knight, but I was there that day as the coach for Fairfax and the ref's exact quote was,"We need to hurry this up, I have to get back to watch the New York match." He told me to field a team or we forfeit. So, it was the ref. Adam and New Haven were more than accomodating and completely understood our situation. Another AMNRL blunder as far as I'm concerned.

tcc_dc

Juniors

As for refs from DC and Fairfax, we have provided two in the past couple years, and one worked the playoff game fairly between the Knights and the Slayers in the first round of the playoffs...

pennpool

Juniors
i would like it if you could take this discussion to an appropriate thread of its own. The sharks would like to keep this thread to sharks related news etc

Thank you

Latest posts