What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The short drop-out

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Dog Exercise GIF

You earned this, well done.
I wondered what happened to El Diablo…

Exsilium

Coach
The short drop out is a lottery. I don't understand why you'd take a 50/50 chance to get it back over defending your line from 40-50m out. Back your defence and not leave so much to chance.

That being said, I'd like to see a slight rule change where if the ball is grounded by the defending team, it is a drop out from the 10m line. If the defender plays the ball over the dead ball line, it's a drop out as normal.

I feel that teams that defuse attacks successfully but the ball was 'In play' should be given a bit more reward for defending the play but if they deliberately send it dead, then it's the less preferred option and costs them yardage.

I was drunk when I thought this up.

Parra Pride

Referee
The short drop out is a lottery. I don't understand why you'd take a 50/50 chance to get it back over defending your line from 40-50m out. Back your defence and not leave so much to chance.
Well in our case our defence is shit house so if we don’t get the ball back we’ve likely already conceded a try instead.