What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the sooner we leave WIN stadium the better

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
just a few questions, yes the Hill was packed but why doesnt the Northern Stand sell out?What is the capacity of WIN?

you have a choice...

enjoy the best hill in any ground in the NRL.. sun shining, so close to the action and the pacific ocean at your back... you can even sit on grass on the 50m line..

or.. sit on a plastic seat.

i know which one i prefer.. :)

Potsie

Juniors
Bring back the Sydney Sports Ground!!!! RIP 1986

I would go to that ground to watch two ants race

its hard to sell the northern stand out because their are too many obstructions (concrete posts) in front of you.i remember going their a few years ago against the dogs and i had this post in front off me. its about 14inch wide. couldnt belive they would sell a ticket to sit there. plus they charged me full price

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/photos/win1.jpg

I'm not sure which WIN Stadium you've been to, but the Northern Stand has the grand total of two posts in front of the seats, only one of which has any potential to obstruct views (NE corner). Neither of them are concrete.

I sat in the northern granstand for the trial against the doggies. First and last time. There is absolutely no room between the rows.
I am only 153cm tall and my knees were in the back of the guy in front of me the whole time. I had to keep apologising. Bad designing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LMAO dude, if it was a wollongong side they would have been there.
It's not St George's fault that the Steelers were folding. If not for the joint venture, there'd be even less NRL games in Wollongong.
Hanscholo said:
They arent stupid, they realise that the merger was nothing of the sort. Putting a couple of claytons matches down their for a sydney team isnt going to work.
A couple? You know nothing about the home game split.

The NRL puts on 'claytons matches' now?

Hanscholo said:
Saints take the jnrs, use their name and sh*t on the footballing population of wollongong.
Ummm, there's no residency rule in the competition. That was dumped decades ago. The club most willing to go into the Illawarra to develop juniors will have a head start. It is more than just 'taking' players. Where do you think these players would be playing if there was no joint venture?

Even with the junior development programs in place, they can still be signed by other clubs, as we have seen. How many Ilawarra juniors have played for Newcastle over the last 10 years?

Hanscholo said:
You wonder why people dont show up? Are you serious?
People did show up. A pleasant surprise as it turned out to be fairly good crowd. What does that do to your theory?

Hanscholo said:
ITS NOT THEIR f**kING TEAM.
Oooh, a screamer. lol

You're just trolling but at least try and get your facts right.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Dragons record at WIN Stadium is excellent. Not many teams win on that ground. I live closer to Kogarah and enjoy the drive to WIN.

There are quite a few Illawarra Juniors playiong in the Dragons therefore playing at WIN is great for the TEAM.

The Manly v Melbourne game. A GRAND FINAL replay got just over 10k. Now that is a bad crowd. The NRL have been boosting these 2 teams for the last couple of years and the crowds are still crap. They have been getting away with everything and anything yet it still proves that nobody likes these 2 teams and nobody ever will. Time to get rid of these 2 rubbish teams.

big pat

Coach
slippery, i've been to all 3 games at wollongong this year, driven down there and back went to the club before and after each game, no problems at all stood on the hill with army and enjoyed each game, so i don't really see what all the fuss is about, i know their are some people, who would like all 12 games at kogarah, but you can't have everything, and i have family and friends on the south coast who support both grounds,so enjoy what you have and be thankful we have a team to support.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/bennett-wins-back-the-fans/2009/05/06/1241289212112.html

Bennett wins back the fans

Tim Barrow, Illawarra Mercury | May 6, 2009 - 11:26AM

THE Wayne Bennett factor and St George Illawarra's stunning early season form have arrested an alarming slide in crowd numbers at Dragons games in Wollongong.
The club's average crowd figures at WIN Stadium had dropped from 15,074 per game in 2005, when the Dragons made the preliminary final, to 12,237 last season.
However, with the arrival of Bennett spurring the team to second on the NRL ladder, St George Illawarra have attracted home crowds of 13,329 against the Titans and 14,562 on Sunday against the Warriors.
The surge in support comes despite the rusting western grandstand at WIN Stadium being in urgent need of an upgrade.
A State Government report released earlier this year said the ground would effectively be condemned within five years if a massive redevelopment of the grandstand is not undertaken.
The latest redevelopment at Kogarah's Jubilee Oval saw a bumper crowd of 20,047 for the grand opening when the Dragons took on arch-rivals the Sharks, as well as a healthy crowd of 14,477 against Newcastle.
A St George Illawarra spokesman yesterday said the club was hoping for close to 20,000 next Friday night for what could be a top-of-the-table clash with the Bulldogs at Kogarah.
"The early indications are they are headed that way," he said.
"There have been more than 10,000 tickets pre-sold already."
The Dragons' next two home games in Wollongong are on Friday night, May 29, against Penrith and Sunday, June 14, against North Queensland.
St George Illawarra have already proven to be a ratings hit on Channel Nine's Friday night football in blockbusters against Brisbane, Parramatta and in the season opener against Melbourne at Olympic Park.
But with renewed calls for more afternoon football, the crowds have flocked to daytime Dragons games.
The Anzac Day battle against the Roosters, played on a Saturday afternoon, attracted 28,926 people, the third biggest in the annual fixture's history.
The average crowds across NRL clubs after eight rounds is 17,149, boosted by a massive following of the Broncos in Brisbane.
That average is more than 1500 people per game up on last year's season average of 15,610.
Of the Sydney-based clubs, not including the Dragons, the average crowd this season is 15,344.
The Dragons are ranked sixth highest in average crowds in the NRL this season and third among the NSW clubs, behind the Dogs and Roosters.

blackberryman

Juniors
That's the spirit boys. :x

Internal bickering and unproductive comments. Lets remember that one couldn't survive without the other. Let's not forget StGeorges neighbours, strugling for cash over at Cronulla, so you can hardly say that StGeorges thousands of residents within a couple of Kilometres of Kogarah are attending games better than the fans that travel from up and down the south coast and to the highlands over 100k's for a game every round. Wollongong in my opinioin has the best semi-professional ground in Australia, and I have been to a few, with the adition of the Western Grandstand modification will cement this, maybe then they might come. This absolutely a terrible thread, especially at this point in the financial time. end rant.

Now for the facts.

Wollongong has the highest unemployement in Australia per capitia. The average wage in Wollongong is extremely low. WIN stadium has their pricing wrong with gate tickets and the game is poorly marketed in the Wollongong area, wollongong doesn't have a massive Leagues club like StGeorge does so word is not as easily spread to the community.

I'd like to know how many travel south for the game compared to the ones who travel north for the game ?

All as I know is that WE are going to WIN a premiership this year so stop this internal rubbish and get the F!@K on with supporting the Joint verntured football club or get your frequent flyers card out more often ready for games in another state.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Says the man with a Steelers avatar. Great joint venture support. :roll:

are you serious?

an avatar hardly says if someone does or doesn't support the jv..

if that's the case i'd better throw out all my steelers merchandise from when i was a kid... don't mind the fact i now have about 10 times as much dragons merchandise..

CreaghzyMark

Juniors
lil babies cryin over spilt milk

i wonder what we would all be sayin if we only got 15K for the warriors if it was at OKI

well we were all dragon supports, dere were no warriors supporters.

i think last yr at the dragons bulldog game dere was somethin like 20k plus, all i remeber was the hill was standing room only, adn that the dogs only started chantin in the last 5 mins when hazem scored and won the game for them.

point is the gong folks done well to get almost 15k dere, we play together we win together and lose together why can we not support togther

Latest posts