What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Spine

I agree - Benji, Widdop, Dugan, Lafai, Nighty, Mann, Aitken, Peter M, on paper that looks pretty good.

Lafai doesn't look good on the field, hasn't for 18 months now.

Mann doesn't even look good on paper.

Our retention and recruitment is f*#ked.

Straight Shooter

giboz71

First Grade
Lafai doesn't look good on the field, hasn't for 18 months now.

Mann doesn't even look good on paper.

Our retention and recruitment is f*#ked.

Straight Shooter

I don't agree with many things you say, and I hope I'm wrong but you may be possibly right about Lafai.

What is it with centres we recruit? Beale, Nielsen, Farrell, now Lafai.

Not sure if we turned them crap or they were crap to begin with - still trying to work out which?

I don't agree with many things you say, and I hope I'm wrong but you may be possibly right about Lafai.

Not sure if we turned them crap or they were crap to begin with - still trying to work out which?

Roberts or Bird would have been a different story.

Although, sadly, I don't think Mary can bring out the best in these players.

I've recently interviewed with two different firms. If successful, money is of course one factor. What's weighing heavily on my mind, however, are the partners of those firms - the reputation they have and the knowledge they bring. I'm looking at career development. It's the same for footy players.

That's why I keep banging on about Mary. It's not just the lack of technical skills (attack, game plans); it's also the retention and recruitment. Year after year under rookie coaches, we're always behind the eight ball.

Posters keep asking, what's your reasonable solution. Well that's it, it starts with the coach. Propping up Mary with better qualified assistants doesn't properly address the issue. For those that love him, make him assistant motivational coach. Because surely that's all he brings to the table (apart from painting the gym). I find it extraordinary that he's been unable to improve our halves and hooking situation. It's been nearly two years now.

We've seen enough of Mary to know he's a less than average NRL coach. We compound that by recruiting less than average first graders.

In a perfect world, our administration would be totally revamped. I don't see how this change can be effected. We just have to bend over and hold our ankles while the elites rule their fiefdom.

Now the intellectually bankrupt can let fly with their accusations of 'panda'.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

I reckon we bought those players who were not wanted or were languishing in a lower grade or even fringe 1st grade at best..thinking they will just love our club, be happy and turn their form into their prior potential or form from 3 years prior.

That includes Beale who demanded a salary cause he was a NZ player.(god knows how ...in desperation). He had speed and a step but was hopeless at contact and Broncos knew that and any rugby league follower could see the Broncos could not find the right spot for him in the backline. Played him fullback and wing mainly but average at best.

Same could be said for Mann, I watched him closely in 2015 and did get dropped at some stage so he was always fringe at best. Anyone could of seen that.
Mary thinks we need that versatile player like Mann..but they have to be half decent first.
His best position is wing as can defend but thats all in 1st grade and in a Melb team with a strict coach. His centre defence at Melb struggled and Bellamy knew that otherwise they would of kept him. Wing in our side he will struggle in defence as our wingers have no idea also in defence lately.

I honestly dont know what our recruitment looks at only to fill depth in desperation and will take anyone who says Yes.
Might as well pick the best Alaskan player cause he represents Alaska and pay him a Test player salary.

Farrell was playing reserve grade for god sake but Price coached him at Under 20's and as he was a former Dragon..well he passed our entrance selection test..say no more. Pay him 350-400K and call him a marquee signing...cough cough

But I have not given up on Lafai yet. He needs good early ball which he is not getting and he will learn our version of a defensive structure..I hope if there is one.
But our back 5 need to make more metres in early sets. We are the worst ATM and waste early tackles with no metres.

duck

Juniors
You're effectively endorsing mismanagement.
How? By having voting rights?

You obviously want success for the club. You could renew your membership (which may or may not allow you to have your say) yet you continue to anonymously bang on and on about mismanagement of the club on an internet forum.

Go you.

Fingerbang

Bench
I've recently interviewed with two different firms. If successful, money is of course one factor. What's weighing heavily on my mind, however, are the partners of those firms - the reputation they have and the knowledge they bring. I'm looking at career development. It's the same for footy players.
Hmmm, Maccas drive through attendant, or Woolies nightfill operator?

A bit of advice, because I care, take the Woolies one....you will get a 5% discount card for any instore purchases.

Panda Shooter

BennyV

Referee

There was a running joke that Ricky Stuart was a halfback killer. Strange to think, considering how good a halfback he was, but he had a knack of ruining formerly talented halfbacks!

Perhaps Mary is the same for centres! The game plans under his tutelage have given zero room for centres. Even taking away the Lafai argument, Farrell and Mata'utia were very capable centres at their former clubs, and this year even such a weapon as Dugan had nothing in the centres...

giboz71

First Grade
There was a running joke that Ricky Stuart was a halfback killer. Strange to think, considering how good a halfback he was, but he had a knack of ruining formerly talented halfbacks!

Perhaps Mary is the same for centres! The game plans under his tutelage have given zero room for centres. Even taking away the Lafai argument, Farrell and Mata'utia were very capable centres at their former clubs, and this year even such a weapon as Dugan had nothing in the centres...

Fullbacks haven't gone much better as well (not since Boyd anyway). Mann lasted 2 games and is now in the Cutters. Stanley, Beale, Quinlan - all have tried and failed. Bmoz, Nighty and Peter M have all been thrown in there as well.

We recruited a gun in Dugan, bulked him up, slowed him down and somehow he forgot how to pass! Believe it or not, he actually had a good passing game at the Raiders and he was much quicker. Not sure what happened (although admittedly, he's still a great player, but could be so much better).

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
How? By having voting rights?

You obviously want success for the club. You could renew your membership (which may or may not allow you to have your say) yet you continue to anonymously bang on and on about mismanagement of the club on an internet forum.

Go you.

You're spot on Duck.
The only way we can effect change is through Leagues Club voting rights. It is THE only legitimate way to voice your views by casting a vote in favour of a director that will carry your views to the board.
The Objective Panda has once again shown how he has no idea on the workings of our club, it's constitution or rugby league in general. Not really surprised by his lack of knowledge tbh.
For others...there is a 'sticky' post at the top of the page for details.

Old Timer

Coach
Fullbacks haven't gone much better as well (not since Boyd anyway). Mann lasted 2 games and is now in the Cutters. Stanley, Beale, Quinlan - all have tried and failed. Bmoz, Nighty and Peter M have all been thrown in there as well.

We recruited a gun in Dugan, bulked him up, slowed him down and somehow he forgot how to pass! Believe it or not, he actually had a good passing game at the Raiders and he was much quicker. Not sure what happened (although admittedly, he's still a great player, but could be so much better).

Good post

Dugan looked tall and lean now looks muscle bound and like a back rower however is not robust enough to play in that position.

We have jettisoned a few however it might be not entirely be their fault as we seem hell bent on bulking players up.

I wonder what Tingha would have turned into under the recent coaching / conditioning regimes?

giboz71

First Grade
My fear with Dugan going back to FB is I assume they trained all off season with Mann there, with a lot of set plays designed for a ball player at the back. This goes out the window with Dugan back there (unless he's miraculously learnt how to pass).

Another option would be to let Widdop take Mann's role at FB and bring in McCrone at 7, Benji at 6 and keep Dugan at right centre, and move Aitken to the left if Lafai doesn't improve.

Unlikely to happen, but worth a try IMO.

You're spot on Duck.
The only way we can effect change is through Leagues Club voting rights. It is THE only legitimate way to voice your views by casting a vote in favour of a director that will carry your views to the board.
The Objective Panda has once again shown how he has no idea on the workings of our club, it's constitution or rugby league in general. Not really surprised by his lack of knowledge tbh.
For others...there is a 'sticky' post at the top of the page for details.

Pure garbage.

Can't wait to hear how your voting 'rights' have wrought change.

I'm all ears.

Straight Shooter

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Can't wait to hear how your voting 'rights' have wrought change.

I'm all ears.

Straight Shooter

Once again, your defence proves worthless.
Your post just shows you are not familiar with the process and you are unable to make change?
You have no idea how I vote, nor will you know ! :)
Any further questions

Latest posts