What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Spine

blacksafake

First Grade
Yes, I noticed that. But he was smiling, not laughing. Apart from his obligatory uncatchable pass from dummy half causing a mistake, I don't think Rein played so badly. At least not that I saw but I was pretty busy sticking pins in pictures of Mann, Widdop and Lafai. To that end I think at least some of the abuse Rein is copping is due to homies being desperate to keep people talking about how Widdop played.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

giboz71

First Grade
The one that really worries me is Mann.

I knew he wasn't going to be the runner Dugan was, but I thought he'd be able to provide some direction from the back much like Lachlan Coote. Thought this was the whole reason we hired Demetriou so we can model on the Cowboys attack with the FB getting lot of touches and halves being able to be more selective to choose their moments. Have seen no evidence of this.

What's worse, his positional play defensively is atrocious. So many times, he was nowhere in sight when a FB was needed.

It reminds me of when we tried to manufacture Kyle Stanley as a FB, we got similar results. Hope he proves me wrong and I know its early days but now that Dugan is back at FB, could be curtains for him if we start winning games.

I was all for moving Dugan to accommodate a ball player, but it remains to be seen if Mann is the right guy. Is Lachlan Coote available???

redVinme

Bench
The one that really worries me is Mann.

I knew he wasn't going to be the runner Dugan was, but I thought he'd be able to provide some direction from the back much like Lachlan Coote. Thought this was the whole reason we hired Demetriou so we can model on the Cowboys attack with the FB getting lot of touches and halves being able to be more selective to choose their moments. Have seen no evidence of this.

What's worse, his positional play defensively is atrocious. So many times, he was nowhere in sight when a FB was needed.

It reminds me of when we tried to manufacture Kyle Stanley as a FB, we got similar results. Hope he proves me wrong and I know its early days but now that Dugan is back at FB, could be curtains for him if we start winning games.

I was all for moving Dugan to accommodate a ball player, but it remains to be seen if Mann is the right guy. Is Lachlan Coote available???

Coote is off contract I believe. I read an article saying he may be moved on for a young gun they have up there. He also seems to be over his injury woes. I'd take him in a heartbeat but not under our current system. Doesn't matter who's there we would manage to render them ineffective. Though having him here with demetriou couldn't hurt. If the price was right I'd be offloading Dugan for him and use the spendings towards a half or hooker.

V

Vasilevsky

Unfortunately Slippery I get this sinking feeling that Mary is becoming more and more like Price...unwilling to make changes unless forced by injury and sticking with the same players week in week out. Its obvious that he has no clue when it comes to attacking play structures and even the rugged defence is starting to show signs of wear and tear.

The worrying statistic quoted elsewhere on this forum is that since mid last season Mary's winning percentage is only 25%.

I was very hopeful during the off season that we would be a real force this season but unless things change very quickly we may be looking at another Price era...

I have noticed a certain supercoach Price-like stench descending over the club. Recruiting dud players on massive overs (Lafai probably isn't on massive overs because the Grubs are probably still paying part of his salary), sticking with those duds (Lafai), dropping or not giving excellent juniors like Aitken a chance. S**t attack and now defense appearing more and more brittle.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
And it was the new music and it was timid, humble and stern.

It was brown and light brown and sepia; It was almost forgotten.

It lays in a ditch on the side of the road, you and I drove along once, and it was happy to lie there day dreaming.

It stretched into the distance further than you ever thought possible.

And it didn't give a f**k about you and I either way.

giboz71

First Grade
Coote is off contract I believe. I read an article saying he may be moved on for a young gun they have up there. He also seems to be over his injury woes. I'd take him in a heartbeat but not under our current system. Doesn't matter who's there we would manage to render them ineffective. Though having him here with demetriou couldn't hurt. If the price was right I'd be offloading Dugan for him and use the spendings towards a half or hooker.

Would be a bold move, but it's looking likely that something like this needs to be done.

Whoever decided to bulk up Dugan and slow him down is a dope. Fair enough, he's not a ball player, but why restrict his best attribute which is his speed? Not like he was that small to begin with. Watch footage of him at the Raiders slicing through the opposition with speed and agility. Would be great to have that version here and now.

He's nothing but bash and barge these days. Is he really worth 700k??

Guys like Tedesco, RTS, GI etc would leave him in the dust and all these guys can pass as well.

Selling him to get world class half and hooker could be exactly what we need to get us out of this hole.

redVinme

Bench
Agree entirely. He was bulked up to prevent him curling over every knock he got. It's hardly helped though. Great player but not quite made of the tough stuff. Making a play for a Coote like player and then spending on an Adam Reynolds type would be me go. Even keary though his supposed price tag is a little worrying. Why not go all out and take teddy and brooks haha. Wishful thinking.

giboz71

First Grade
Agree entirely. He was bulked up to prevent him curling over every knock he got. It's hardly helped though. Great player but not quite made of the tough stuff. Making a play for a Coote like player and then spending on an Adam Reynolds type would be me go. Even keary though his supposed price tag is a little worrying. Why not go all out and take teddy and brooks haha. Wishful thinking.

Wow - what a prospect.

Tedesco
Widdop
Brooks
Hooker who can pass

That's a spine that can go places. Would be very unlikely that the Dragons could pull that off. Only teams like the Dogs and Roosters can manage that.

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Does that mean you would be in favor of getting rid of the Dragons only decent attacking backs (Dugan and Benji)? And you would expect the attack to improve?

Mr Red

First Grade
seem some funny stuff on here lately...
Nightingale to lock
Mann to hooker
Brooks plays a good game against a woeful Trent Barrett inspired eagles and now he is the saviour..
Just waiting for the we should have bought Farah posts to reappear...

giboz71

First Grade
Does that mean you would be in favor of getting rid of the Dragons only decent attacking backs (Dugan and Benji)? And you would expect the attack to improve?

Replaced by Brooks and Tedesco (in his hypothetical scenario)

Do you seriously think they would not be a better option based on what you have seen recently??

redVinme

Bench

I am 100% saying that. This isn't to say that we aren't lacking in the hooker department either. Since when was Dugan an "attacking" back anymore? Minimal tries, try assists and line breaks compared to most full backs in the nrl. So yes I am saying that replacing him with someone who actually offers that would help the "attack". We don't have one player that can make something out of nothing. Oh and on benji while we are at it. Read today he's "going to run his way into a new contract" promise to regain his running game. Great so this means he's going to act like its 2005 without the pace to back it up and run sideways more. Let's get this straight a new hooker is number 1 on my wish list but expecting the attack to improve sure do. Can't be worse than 0 tries in 80mins.

giboz71

First Grade
seem some funny stuff on here lately...
Nightingale to lock
Mann to hooker
Brooks plays a good game against a woeful Trent Barrett inspired eagles and now he is the saviour..
Just waiting for the we should have bought Farah posts to reappear...

You haven't seen enough of Brooks in the last 2 years? Would you keep Benji in favour of him if he became available?

The kid is 21 years old, plays behind a lowly rated forward pack and has played in a rabble of a club. The only way is up for him.

From what I've seen the first 2 rounds, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

redVinme

Bench
Haha. Good. I recall brooks tearing us apart on debut actually. If he wasn't in the circus of Wests Tigers he would probably be forcing his way into an origin jersey. I'd probably trust joey johns assessment of a half back over yours though.

redVinme

Bench
You haven't seen enough of Brooks in the last 2 years? Would you keep Benji in favour of him if he became available?

The kid is 21 years old, plays behind a lowly rated forward pack and has played in a rabble of a club. The only way is up for him.

From what I've seen the first 2 rounds, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Wow someone with sense. Screen shot it before it turns into a troll fest which is why I rarely post.

ONPOINT

Juniors
Wow - what a prospect.

Tedesco
Widdop
Brooks
Hooker who can pass

That's a spine that can go places. Would be very unlikely that the Dragons could pull that off. Only teams like the Dogs and Roosters can manage that.

Sorry mate can you name one signing the dragons have ever pulled off? Dugan only Came because Brisbane terminated his contract, benji was off to the Sharks. The biggest signing this club has made was Widdop. We have been linked with every player for years, not a single high profile
One has signed.

redVinme

Bench
Sorry mate can you name one signing the dragons have ever pulled off? Dugan only Came because Brisbane terminated his contract, benji was off to the Sharks. The biggest signing this club has made was Widdop. We have been linked with every player for years, not a single high profile
One has signed.

Sad but true. Gone are the days players actually want to play for us. Makes it a bit hard when most of our current players aren't even buying into the culture.

giboz71

First Grade
One has signed.

No argument from me. Hence I said it would probably never happen. We are the Dragons after all.

Knowing us, we'll sign no one, lose Benji and are stuck with Hutch.