What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Spine

V

Vasilevsky

Replaced by Brooks and Tedesco (in his hypothetical scenario)

Do you seriously think they would not be a better option based on what you have seen recently??

I think a MUCH better option based on what I have seen in the last season and 2 games would be to get rid of the entire backline (sadly including Nightingale) along with some fringe backs like KFFL and keep only Dugan, Benji and Aitken and then try and sign Tedesco first and hopefully Brooks. It won't happen. At least not while Mary is the coach. I bet Ivan Cleary would clear out the dead wood in days.

But it won't happen because apart from those 3 (Brooks, Moses and Tedesco) it's not as though the Tigers will be paying big money to anyone else in their backline and Farah won't be resigned.

V

Vasilevsky

Sorry mate can you name one signing the dragons have ever pulled off? Dugan only Came because Brisbane terminated his contract, benji was off to the Sharks. The biggest signing this club has made was Widdop. We have been linked with every player for years, not a single high profile
One has signed.

FFS Did you watch any games last season? Widdop was solid or "workman-like" at best. In several games he was utter s**t. Melbourne wouldn't even go close to offering him what the supercoach Price offered. Dugan and Benji carried the backline.

Even the season before he looked good as the main "playmaker" in a team that was an utter shambles until Benji came and I know things didn't get "better" quickly but the bleeding stopped.

WTF has Gareth Widdop done to so many Dragons supporters??? He has so many in a spell. I wonder if it was the same with Trent Barrett. At least Barrett could occasionally break a tackle or even 2 or 3 times a season, break the line and didn't kick out on the full in every game.

Anyone might think you have an issue with Widdup, when the more likely explanation is a bromance with Benji.

You actually don't have to be a broken record over Widdup. Everyone knows what you think, most just don't care

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench
Honestly very few should feel safe going forward. Not saying they would be moved on or dropped because it won't happen. Sadly I think our "rebuilding" phase went pretty pear shaped to the point I wish we could clear out again. It's sad because I'll always support this team but I don't have the same connection I did to it anymore. Maybe in the future of our crop of juniors can step up to firsts before we lose them. I'm honestly only comfortable with aitkin, friz, packer, mose(if he plays to potential when back),cooper,thommo (if he can stay on the park and justify his price tag), Matthews (based on value for money) and a couple of our bench forwards if they get a chance to play well (lui etc). Widdop is going no where and unfortunately bunj is coming to a close in his career. I'd love to hold Dugan if he was a bit lighter but depending on our halves going forward. Everyone else is 50/50 to me at best. We will always have a disadvantage compared to the glamour clubs but as much as the price era hurt id rather go through a clean out again then sit hear and watch mediocrity for the next 5 years.

blacksafake

First Grade
Anyone might think you have an issue with Widdup, when the more likely explanation is a bromance with Benji.

You actual don't have to be a broken record over Widdup. Everyone knows what you think, most just don't care
Well said Mate.
Every comment reverts back to bagging Widdop such a yawn.
Will have to start calling him Bill Murray after "groundhog day"

V

Vasilevsky

Well said Mate.
Every comment reverts back to bagging Widdop such a yawn.
Will have to start calling him Bill Murray after "groundhog day"

I'm sorry if you don't like it....... Well I'm not actually but regardless, as long as you homies keep denouncing Benji, Dugan and (to a lesser extent Rein because he also isn't very good) in order to try and make you believe the total fraud of Widdop isn't a total fraud, I will keep letting you know the fact you are deluding yourselves.

Get rid of the entire backline along with some fringe backs keeping only Dugan, Benji and Aitken and make Dugan captain. Mary could even do it this season. Milbe for the other center. YKG and ......... (someone) on the wings. Wallace to half, Benji to 5/8 and Dugan fullback.

Minh

First Grade

You actually don't have to be a broken record over Widdup. Everyone knows what you think, most just don't care

Here here...

For the record I like both players Benji and Widdop, sure there is a lot of work to be done but to have an agenda against any one player and being relentless and not acknowledging their good games is just monotonous....

giboz71

First Grade
Honestly very few should feel safe going forward. Not saying they would be moved on or dropped because it won't happen. Sadly I think our "rebuilding" phase went pretty pear shaped to the point I wish we could clear out again. It's sad because I'll always support this team but I don't have the same connection I did to it anymore. Maybe in the future of our crop of juniors can step up to firsts before we lose them. I'm honestly only comfortable with aitkin, friz, packer, mose(if he plays to potential when back),cooper,thommo (if he can stay on the park and justify his price tag), Matthews (based on value for money) and a couple of our bench forwards if they get a chance to play well (lui etc). Widdop is going no where and unfortunately bunj is coming to a close in his career. I'd love to hold Dugan if he was a bit lighter but depending on our halves going forward. Everyone else is 50/50 to me at best. We will always have a disadvantage compared to the glamour clubs but as much as the price era hurt id rather go through a clean out again then sit hear and watch mediocrity for the next 5 years.

It's not the players themselves mate. It's the mix of players and how they function as a team.

Dugan, Benji, Widdop, Lafai, Nighty in the backs. Packer, Thommo, Friz, JDB, Creagh in the forwards. Our roster is more than handy.

But we have a number of incremental weaknesses - no ball player at the back, no half, poor passing hooker, no ball playing forward, no speed.

You can cover 1 or 2 of those deficiencies but not all of them. Add them all up, and we unfortunately a very mediocre team.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We're into all of those and it's into overload.
We're into all of those, our time and it's into overload.

Overload.

Shot down in the road, let's see your number.
Wake up shoppers from your slumber.
Jackpot lottery, got bonanza.
Saionara propaganda.
Zeitgeist eye sore, got the price right.
Cut to ad break, urban fist fight.

V

Vasilevsky

Here here...

For the record I like both players Benji and Widdop, sure there is a lot of work to be done but to have an agenda against any one player and being relentless and not acknowledging their good games is just monotonous....

As I said to the other poster about not liking it. I don't like the constant criticisms of the clubs only decent backs (Benji and Dugan) even less. I don't have a cry about it, I contest the comments with facts. If I don't feel like it, I just ignore the comments.

I don't acknowledge his good games because I can't remember any. His "good games" are games when he is merely floating around the ball a lot, throwing passes 5 meters before the line (and to be honest, putting in some good attacking kicks) while not making any mistakes and leaving it up to Benji and Dugan to carry the attack.

and FFS, don't dare say the last game from last season. Fat Grubs were exhausted. Benji was having a blinder. Forwards were running all over the fat Grubs. Benji was taken out. Widdop took over and was solid and "workman-like" until THAT kick (which he does every game now). Then every second poster here talks like it is the greatest game he has every played......... I guess for the Dragons they may be right. I should rephrase that. Many posters here talk about it as the best game anyone has every played. Incredible and really painful to read.

And then homies turn around and blame Benji and Dugan for the poor attack:crazy::crazy::crazy: It's a surrealistic nightmare.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Seriously our spine is fractured. Dugan is a overrated & overpriced myth. Widdop and Benji are both 5/8's and do not seem to compliment each other. Rein is solid defensive hooker only yet crap as an attacking dummy half. So we are left with no half back and a 50% working order spine. It will take a miracle cure to fix the problem or simply replace. Hold off on re-signing Benji and Rein for 2017 is a start IMO.

redVinme

Bench
It's not the players themselves mate. It's the mix of players and how they function as a team.

Dugan, Benji, Widdop, Lafai, Nighty in the backs. Packer, Thommo, Friz, JDB, Creagh in the forwards. Our roster is more than handy.

But we have a number of incremental weaknesses - no ball player at the back, no half, poor passing hooker, no ball playing forward, no speed.

You can cover 1 or 2 of those deficiencies but not all of them. Add them all up, and we unfortunately a very mediocre team.

I do agree I guess it's just the frustration setting in. It'd only take a few cigs in the right place to be competitive yes. It's just hard to watch sometimes. Especially when other clubs can have strike all over the field due to TPA's and clever book keeping. We have some special youngsters coming in through the backs however so I hope them breathing down the necks of our current crop boots them up the arse. Shouldn't of left out jdb either he is definitely a weapon on his day.

TruSaint

Referee
I do agree I guess it's just the frustration setting in. It'd only take a few cigs in the right place to be competitive yes. It's just hard to watch sometimes. Especially when other clubs can have strike all over the field due to TPA's and clever book keeping. We have some special youngsters coming in through the backs however so I hope them breathing down the necks of our current crop boots them up the arse. Shouldn't of left out jdb either he is definitely a weapon on his day.

Mate i sense your frustrations... On paper though we have a decent side.. Plenty of upside, if we can get our structures right, and combinations gelling.

giboz71

First Grade

A good coach can make up for our weaknesses and design a game plan to suit our (very few) strengths. Mary did that to a certain extent last year, hence most think we overachieved to make the semis

But let's face it, he's a 2nd year coach. He can't work miracles.

Much will depend on the next game - we can still turn it around like last year. But it needs to start now.

TruSaint

Referee
A good coach can make up for our weaknesses and design a game plan to suit our (very few) strengths. Mary did that to a certain extent last year, hence most think we overachieved to make the semis

Much will depend on the next game - we can still turn it around like last year. But it needs to start now.

Fair assessment in my eyes and i agree, we cant afford to start 0-3 , or worse 0-5.

Stop worrying. Dragons will roll the Bunnies with a massive point to prove.

Every Rein pass will be quality, Widdup will tear them up and the rest of the back line will be superb.

I believe the players will really stand up for this one

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Stop worrying. Dragons will roll the Bunnies with a massive point to prove.

Every Rein pass will be quality, Widdup will tear them up and the rest of the back line will be superb.

I believe the players will really stand up for this one

I hope you're right. Maybe you'll start signing 'Up, up the Dragons' next time you're at a sharky's game. :crazy:

Mr Red

First Grade
You haven't seen enough of Brooks in the last 2 years? Would you keep Benji in favour of him if he became available?

The kid is 21 years old, plays behind a lowly rated forward pack and has played in a rabble of a club. The only way is up for him.

From what I've seen the first 2 rounds, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

i wouldnt keep barge ass either.
if all things were equal i would take Adam Reynolds.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
i wouldnt keep barge ass either.
if all things were equal i would take Adam Reynolds.

I'm starting to think Reynolds is injury prone.

IMO, Cronk, Brooks, Moses, Reynolds will stay put with their clubs. The only wildcard is Keary, but I don't think we can afford 800k.

We should be targeting someone like Nikorima. He wont command the same money as the other halves and he wont be playing much FG if he sticks around with the Broncos.

redVinme

Bench

I hope so. A good coach can yes. Especially one with an attaching coach like we have. I'm hoping Milne gets a run the injection of some youth full of enegery could definitely help. We can turn it around and even a close loss with much improved ball control and commitment will be seen as a win for their confidence going forward. I hate losing but let's just hope they at least give it a good shake

Latest posts