What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stupid belief Origin is the Pinnacle of League

New Zealand just beat the Kangaroos. England’s last game against them was very close, how does this equate to the states could beat the world? It’s a total nonsensical argument. Just like saying it’s the best vs the best even if the best aren’t actually playing.
*Sigh* that happened JUST this year, up until this year Australia was in total control and only after their main players retired have they become weaker but it won't be for long. More often then not they're the very best and it's time people accepted that, they are the greatest rugby league nation on that planet and that's a fact.

ARL is helping the international game. They let us kiwis have a team in the NRL and are even contemplating a second one and thats just a small example. They may not be sending the Kangaroos out to play as often but they help in other ways. They dont HAVE to, but they do.
That basically shows how pathetic the rest of the world are. The ARL have to help lol.

Pommy

Coach
*Sigh* that happened JUST this year, up until this year Australia was in total control and only after their main players retired have they become weaker but it won't be for long. More often then not they're the very best and it's time people accepted that, they are the greatest rugby league nation on that planet and that's a fact.

Perhaps we should replace origin with a new Queensland state comp, north vs south. That could be a new pinnacle.

How are you a real Kiwi? You're acting like "Kiwi" (fake kiwi) the QLD fan.

We beat Australia at their absolute strongest in 2008. Actually, we hammered them. This at the height of QLD's dominance. The Kangaroos were called the greatest team ever assembled that year. We kicked their asses. Neither state side is as strong now as when we won tournaments in 05, 08, 10 & 14.

This isn't the 90's. There's no way in hell QLD or NSW could beat NZ or England in this era.

Wake up.

siv

First Grade
Use a basic KPI to determine what is the pinicle of RL

Crowd
Viewers ( incl international audience)

Lets see how these events rate
- Origin series decider
- NRL Grand Final
- ESL Grand Final
- WCC
- Challenge Cup Final
- RLWC Final
- NZ v England Test Match
- Australia v NZ Test Match
- Australia v England Test Match
- or any other match

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
For Australians SOO is the pinicle....so what who cares. Let that be their pinicle...fact of the matter is Australia have lost more tournaments in the past 13 years than what they probably did in 40 years.

___

Juniors
How can it be the pinnacle of rugby league when the majority aren’t eligible?
This is the exact type of nonsense that is wrong with the game in this country.
The player who received the highest personal accolade in Australian rugby league can’t play so the idea it’s the pinnacle is utter nonsense.
Because it's the best of the best. Australian's don't find international games entertaining at all, they are boring.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Qland maybe but NSW? lol
NZ would win 8/10 and England 7/10 imo against origin sides. Cant wait to see a proper test series against England. they have finally got a competent team together under a decent coach whilst Australia has lost its stars., for now. RLWC final showed how close they are to each other and arguably England are stronger and Australia weaker since then. Not getting too excited as I've been waiting nearly 40 years to see an England series or tournament win but we look our best since the early 90's.

When I refer to the past I'm more talking 80's, 90's and 00's. Both origin teams would have dominated world cups during those eras. I agree with you re: England. Looking forward to seeing their current squad against the current Kangaroos. Hopefully common sense prevails and the roos tour England next year whilst NZ play Tonga and the other pacific nations. Euro nations in WC qualifiers with France and either Wales & Ireland (depending on who qualifies) play each other and pick up a test each against Aus & England. Seems to be a scenario that works for just about everyone.

Valheru

Coach
Perception is reality and the fast majority of Australian fans (where by far the best competition resides and the money resides) see SOO as more important or more interesting that test footy.

Having said that I would disagree that SOO is the pinnacle, it is the NRL or more accurately, winning the NRL Grand Final.

I don't know anyone that wouldn't trade a SOO victory or World Cup victory for their team winning the premiership. You can see that the players feel the same too.

It is what it is and to be fair very few sports have internationals as their true pinnacle. Cricket is one sport that does have it because internationals are a full time job and that is what people watch.

jim_57

Staff member
Because it's the best of the best. Australian's don't find international games entertaining at all, they are boring.

Meh, best of Australia, quite a few handy players can't be picked.

Origin is just a hype machine, games aren't necessarily a better quality. Rugby League is lucky to have it though as one of few events that can dominate the media, let's not cut off our nose in spite of our face.

Springs09

Juniors

Yes, because us Australians are all the same person.

Perception is reality and the fast majority of Australian fans (where by far the best competition resides and the money resides) see SOO as more important or more interesting that test footy.

Having said that I would disagree that SOO is the pinnacle, it is the NRL or more accurately, winning the NRL Grand Final.

I don't know anyone that wouldn't trade a SOO victory or World Cup victory for their team winning the premiership. You can see that the players feel the same too.

It is what it is and to be fair very few sports have internationals as their true pinnacle. Cricket is one sport that does have it because internationals are a full time job and that is what people watch.

Well that's why this argument exists, people define 'pinnacle' differently. The highest level of footy is Internationals, by definition. As for highest quality, that's debatable. Most Australians would probably say Origin. Some would say the NRL finals, as these are professional teams that have trained and played together all year, rather than just a few weeks like in rep games. I would say Internationals, not only because all the best players are available but because there are a variety of different playing styles you do not get in NRL or Origin. NZ v Tonga last year for example - the entire experience is something you can't get in Origin. You also see the best of the best - the Australian team of 2013 is the best team I've ever seen at any level.

Or you can define it as what players and fans desire most, which for most would be winning the Grand Final, like you said. To be fair then though you also have to include Super League in that, as I think most English fans would rather see their team win the ESL GF rather than see Roosters win the NRL GF. You can also take that further though - to me nothing would match winning the competition with my local club side. I'd much prefer to win a GF I played in for my hometown than see Parramatta win the GF or NSW win Origin. Does that mean the Proten Community Cup is the pinnacle of rugby league?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Use a basic KPI to determine what is the pinicle of RL

Crowd
Viewers ( incl international audience)

Lets see how these events rate
- Origin series decider
- NRL Grand Final
- ESL Grand Final
- WCC
- Challenge Cup Final
- RLWC Final
- NZ v England Test Match
- Australia v NZ Test Match
- Australia v England Test Match
- or any other match

Well RLWC 2013 drew a final crowd of 74k for two non british sides in England so Id say when its played in a place that cares about International RL it is a match for SOO. SOO is a great event and has been built up as such. Its not really the pinnacle of anything and has nothing more than an "event" level of interest for most of Australia. If the TV and NRL invested as much time, energy and money promoting the Kangaroos as they do Origin then International RL would be the pinnacle in Australia. You get out what you put in.

Pommy

Coach

But it’s not the best of the best, why do people keep saying that?

Meh, best of Australia, quite a few handy players can't be picked.

Origin is just a hype machine, games aren't necessarily a better quality. Rugby League is lucky to have it though as one of few events that can dominate the media, let's not cut off our nose in spite of our face.

If the NRL weren’t totally inept at expansion it wouldn’t even be the best of Australia.

I don't know about you but I found the World Cup last year quite a snooze fest. There was only ever going to be one winner.

Origin has been wide open for years hasn’t it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know about you but I found the World Cup last year quite a snooze fest. There was only ever going to be one winner.

I found it intriguing. Tonga were outstanding on and off the field,NZ's collapse, England's grit, PNG hosting and the fervor of their fans, Australia having to put everything on the field to win a incredibly tight final that could have gone either way. Only thing that let it down was the apathy of Australian fans and the shtness of NRL's management

Springs09

Juniors

Then yeah, you don't know about me.

The quality of sport has never been simply about who wins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Despite it being played in my backyard next year I've decided Im not that interested in origin to be paying out $760 for two tickets in avg seating position. I did happily spend $3k going to the RLWC final in Brisbane last year though. Went to origin at MCG to say I've been to one and to experience a full MCG but having done it I'm unlikely to bother again.

Best of the best, ie best players from the best competition - that's exactly what it is.

But the NZ team contains players who are better than the players in the Origin sides though, as evidenced by what occurred a few weeks ago. England also have players who would walk into either Origin side (for eg. Hodgson is clearly a better player than Cook or McCollough)

Origin was at it's best from 90-94, but hasn't been as great since the SL war. It was decent again around the time Gus returned in the early 2000's, but high level international RL has been the better on-field product since 05.

Force

Juniors

An NRL premiership trophy is harder to come by than an Origin victory (well thats if you're from QLD) so it will be no surprise players would give their left nut to win a premiership title.

Latest posts