What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stupid belief Origin is the Pinnacle of League

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A couple of points.

Damien Cook has been a revelation at hooker this year and he was my pick of the bunch until the second half of the season. The turning point was Origin 3, after that he just hasnt fired a shot so if you're going by gauging a guy over the course of the season, I probably would lean towards Hodgson but Cook has more potential.

Valentine Holmes would have to be the pick of the wingers, the other would probably be Hall, Gagai is a definite no and Sam Burgess is a definite yes.

On Origin. It should be played on stand alone weekends and during that time they should play a Pacific series which includes the likes of Indig OZ, NZ Maori, Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Fiji, Cook Is and NZ. Thats 8 quality teams who can all muster up fanatical support from their communities. Add the Origin game and we have 5 games per stand alone weekend.

Can you imagine how bad the Indigenous/Maori teams would be without the Origin/Rep players.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
We couldn't run a Nz v Tonga series the same time as origin. Who would play in the NRL the weekend before origin and Nz v Tonga games??
Origin players already sit out , so assuming NZ and Tonga players also sit out we'd have a weekend of NRL games played by A Grade players.

Don't you know? Unfortunately ... the NRL and Origin run this sport.

If the NZRL and TRL pushed hard for it, we could have the rep window around Origin time.

Even if Origin was to remain on the Wednesday to take advantage of the TV audience, we could still clear the weekends and let the Rep teams run wild for a few weeks.

Force

Juniors
That doesn't matter. Australia is Australia. It's not Australia and Indigenous Australia. If all we want is quality teams and damn the guidelines let's have NSW and QLD, or we can have Tongan Australians and Tongan NZers. Teams based on race and culture are alright for the All-Stars or a tour match but they should not be in direct competition like a NZ v NZ Maori 'test' match.
It will be run during Origin period so NSW & QLD are out of the question. The Maori and Indigenous teams will already be playing a game next year, so I dont see why they cant be included among the Pacific teams. Also, the Kiwi's have already played against the NZ Maori, I think the last time they played was before the 08 World Cup.

Force

Juniors
Can you imagine how bad the Indigenous/Maori teams would be without the Origin/Rep players.
They wouldn't be too bad. There are a few players of Maori and Indigenous heritage running around in the NRL and lower grades.

Springs09

Juniors
It will be run during Origin period so NSW & QLD are out of the question. The Maori and Indigenous teams will already be playing a game next year, so I dont see why they cant be included among the Pacific teams. Also, the Kiwi's have already played against the NZ Maori, I think the last time they played was before the 08 World Cup.

- Because they aren't nations. They are playing an all-star game not an international. My point was if all we need for teams in international comps is quality players and fanbase then why not have NSW & QLD.

- NZ has never played NZ Maori in an actual competition. Warm-up games aren't tests. They could have played each other in the awful 2000 RLWC but thank god they didn't.

Force

Juniors
- Because they aren't nations. They are playing an all-star game not an international. My point was if all we need for teams in international comps is quality players and fanbase then why not have NSW & QLD.

- NZ has never played NZ Maori in an actual competition. Warm-up games aren't tests. They could have played each other in the awful 2000 RLWC but thank god they didn't.
Probably because it will be played at the same time as Origin so NSW and QLD cant play in it.
Meh to the last part....a game is a game whether it be in a comp or not. NZ Maori teams have participated in Pacific comps many times before.

latingringo101

Juniors
International footy has improved a lot since the 2008 World cup, not perfect but it's a HELL of a lot more wide spread and played then in previous years.

Origin will always be an important part of the ARL calendar so I don't think it'll go anywhere anytime soon. The main thing I'd like to see is for the NRL to help promote the international game just as much as they do Origin and GFs. Imagine how much more of a reputation and image international matches could get if things like the Pacific Cup, Four nations, world cup etc got if they were promoted in the public eye front and centre!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Origin is the pinnacle of RL accomplishment in terms of creating hype and spectacle...

I honestly find it insane that we see such an amazing and successful template in Origin and we have NEVER tried to use it again.

Imagine, over the Origin period, a 3 match series between NZ and Tonga; the contest building over 3 weeks and repeating year on year. Origin clearly helps the Australian players form their combinations, i reckon wee would see the same for Tonga/NZ if they are playing the yearly series.

Instead of complaining that Origin gets more attention than internationals, why not ask "why"? It is all about the spectacle and all about the format. Invest time and effort into international rivalries and we will see the same vibe develop pretty quickly...

I can see the Tonga v NZ mid year test pulling at least 40k if they go for Eden Park and could really spark the Oceania Cup as Origin for NZ & the Pacific. It would be very handy for the game to have a successful and lucrative regular tournament outside of Australia that doesn't rely on Australia's involvement.

siv

First Grade
If the NZRL and TRL pushed hard for it, we could have the rep window around Origin time.

Even if Origin was to remain on the Wednesday to take advantage of the TV audience, we could still clear the weekends and let the Rep teams run wild for a few weeks.

You could at worst bring Origin back to Monday or Tuesdays

The concept of the rep weekend is to build up SOO

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I would be happy with Origin three Wednesdays in a row with the weekends being used for Oceania Cup, women's Origin and women's internationals. The latter three rate well in their own right and would provide the TV companies with the content they would miss by not having NRL footy.

Latest posts