What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
But if it's a joint bid, say 9 bid 400 mil and fox bid 400 mill together, do the other guys have to bid 940 mill, or just 480 for the same stuff that 9 wanted?

f**k me, sports fans will need degrees soon to keep up.

typicalfan

Coach
Are Channel 9 offering a billion for the same 3 games a round barring minor changes? What would happen if say a rival network like 10 got 3 games of their own, for example Saturday Night, Sunday Night and Monday Night? would that add to our billion already? or are 9 going for exclusive rights?

It isn't as though it is completely exclusive anyway, Fox get the majority of the games.

Edwahu

Bench
Some of those AFL fans on the Roar are really starting to get obsessed. For the record -

1. Previously he never mentioned 'cash' when saying $850 million, that was his total deal value.

2. Maybe. It needs to tie into the mobile/online rights and whether they point in a joint bid that covers it and onsell.
3. For TV, maybe not. But what the f**k does annualised per annum mean? :lol:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/05/0...for-its-billion-dollar-payday/#comment-881591

he just wants 1pt for missing

El Diablo

Post Whore
But if it's a joint bid, say 9 bid 400 mil and fox bid 400 mill together, do the other guys have to bid 940 mill, or just 480 for the same stuff that 9 wanted?

f**k me, sports fans will need degrees soon to keep up.

they are bidding separately and 9 are the only one who can't afford to low-ball on their first offer

from the same article on page 3 of the April 30 FIN

Nine Entertainment Co and Fox Sports Australia may be in a partnership to bid for the 2012-17 NRL broadcast rights but they will kick off the $1 billion battle this week by submitting separate bids.

Stormarekings

Juniors
He's not big on checking his own "facts" either.

AFL has never filled the MCG for a home and away match....

Agree it doesn't fill up, it however does sell out the difference is that MCC members and club members often dont turn up even though they have a ticket. So 82,000 might not be full but you cant buy a ticket because some one else has bought a ticket and hasnt turned up.

Saint69

Juniors
All clubs are working on the assumption that next years cap will be at least $5 mill if the TV Rights goes for at least $1 billion,anything over this could mean a higher cap for next year.
I believe Nine and Foxtel have first and last bid rights unless a rival bid is 20 percent or more higher than the bids of Nine or Foxtel.I am not sure if the bidding process is the same if the NRL decide to split the rights for different games,SOO and Tests,Friday night games,Sat games,Sun games and Monday night football as they have been rumoured to be looking at.

griff

Bench
Doc not sure if you've mentioned this in the past, but has the nrl considered dealing PMG/fox sports out of the game by packaging it's own channel and selling the channel direct to Foxtel?

NRL has been a massive cash cow for them and it seems NRL could take the cut that PMG have been gouging. At the very least, a feasibility study would be useful to have in your back pocket as a negotiating tactic?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Love it how Channel 7 and Fox Sports came to the AFL with a road map of innovation and growth for the game and the channels alike....

Ch 9 come back to us with... hows the same old schedule with 2 out of 3 delayed games.. oh and can we have a shit load more ads...

Hows get f**ked grab you channel 9, I'd take less money to leave them

NRL needs a refresh on FTA... We need new eyes looking at it, new commentators, new producers, new floor managers etc...

Its all so the same, I wish Jaimeeee Rogers would take bets on the commentry.

7.30 - 7.45 pm - Same old line up and chat, no real build up to the game, heaps of ads.
7.45 pm Rabs starts talking, critisises the size of the crowd
8.20pm Gould and Rabs start blueing with eachother
8.30pm boring half time, with same shit analysis oh and 23 ads
8.50pm Rabs and Gus talk about Tommy lee jones for 5 minutes, whilst game in balance.
9.20 game finishes and within 2 seconds we flick to ball in the air of the 2nd game kickoff...

SEEN it before,,, its f**king stale

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doc any rumours on naming rights? Are Telstra likely to make a joint offer again for internet and naming rights?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Love it how Channel 7 and Fox Sports came to the AFL with a road map of innovation and growth for the game and the channels alike....

Ch 9 come back to us with... hows the same old schedule with 2 out of 3 delayed games.. oh and can we have a shit load more ads...

Hows get f**ked grab you channel 9, I'd take less money to leave them

NRL needs a refresh on FTA... We need new eyes looking at it, new commentators, new producers, new floor managers etc...

Its all so the same, I wish Jaimeeee Rogers would take bets on the commentry.

7.30 - 7.45 pm - Same old line up and chat, no real build up to the game, heaps of ads.
7.45 pm Rabs starts talking, critisises the size of the crowd
8.20pm Gould and Rabs start blueing with eachother
8.30pm boring half time, with same shit analysis oh and 23 ads
8.50pm Rabs and Gus talk about Tommy lee jones for 5 minutes, whilst game in balance.
9.20 game finishes and within 2 seconds we flick to ball in the air of the 2nd game kickoff...

SEEN it before,,, its f**king stale

You make so many good points here CT.

With regard to the coverage Channel Nine provide for us, it is not just the commentary team that is tired and stale. You are right that the entire production staff need to be cleaned out. The only element of the coverage I enjoy is the camera work and editing.

This is why many of us hold high hopes for Ten and to a lesser extent Seven, for they will bring so many fresh ideas to broadcasting Rugby League Footy.

docbrown

Coach
Doc not sure if you've mentioned this in the past, but has the nrl considered dealing PMG/fox sports out of the game by packaging it's own channel and selling the channel direct to Foxtel?

NRL has been a massive cash cow for them and it seems NRL could take the cut that PMG have been gouging. At the very least, a feasibility study would be useful to have in your back pocket as a negotiating tactic?

Yeah I don't think LEK have looked at it for this go but it's definitely on the cards for 2017.

Doc any rumours on naming rights? Are Telstra likely to make a joint offer again for internet and naming rights?

Nope but I have heard there is a "NRL on Ten" logo doing the rounds at the moment

docbrown

Coach
If you guys are pissed off about 9's NRL coverage you should make people aware of it.

Perhaps during the 9 game when you hashtags on twitter, #NONRL49 maybe... and hash in other guys like Rothfield etc.

The best thing that can happen at the moment is for all the network to be reminded that there are alot of pissed off rugby league fans out there ready to abandon ship.

Channel-9-NRL-Fail.png

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yeah I don't think LEK have looked at it for this go but it's definitely on the cards for 2017.

Nope but I have heard there is a "NRL on Ten" logo doing the rounds at the moment

in one of the old TV rights threads there is something about how they have looked at setting up their own channel

cbf looking for it

El Diablo

Post Whore
DT tomorrow has a story about how 9's offer is less than a billion

SMH has something about how 10 will include under 20's in their bid

Status
Not open for further replies.