What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
Hmm. Live NRL and Super League would fill most of the weekend on a dedicated channel.

Mid weeks could be filled with Toyota Cup, Championship, Challenge Cup, whatever the Bartercard Cup is called these days, NRL re-runs and old games.

Its not that much of a stretch to fill a whole station with RL. But its not something that the NRL needs, I think Fox Sports needs it more.

docbrown

Coach
Hmm. Live NRL and Super League would fill most of the weekend on a dedicated channel.

Mid weeks could be filled with Toyota Cup, Championship, Challenge Cup, whatever the Bartercard Cup is called these days, NRL re-runs and old games.

Its not that much of a stretch to fill a whole station with RL.

Believe me when I say this -

If the NRL says "we'd prefer the dollars than the Contra" then Foxtel needs to come up with strategies to build up to those 50% targets.

Their strategy will involve getting all of that related programming.

So

Why should the NRL be stupid enough to pay for something Foxtel has to do anyway?

I'll give you an example - Eddie McGuire was tapped for his AFL programme 3 years before the AFL deal was finalised...

RLNY

Juniors
So how much of the $85 million contra that Foxtel paid during the AFL deal was actually for programming that Fox would have paid for anyway?

Wanting a special "League Channel" seems little more than a dick measuring competition to me. I'd prefer the NRL to be on whatever channel pubs/clubs have as their "standard" so that is gets wider coverage. People at home will search out the footy regardless of whether its on Fox Sports 1 or FoxNRL (or whatever the NRL station might be called).

When it comes to selling to Fox, the ARLC should be looking at dollars and dollars only.

docbrown

Coach
So how much of the $85 million contra that Foxtel paid during the AFL deal was actually for programming that Fox would have paid for anyway?

Well I know McGuire was tapped well before the words 'Foxfooty' were ever uttered in public.

It's hard to put a precise number on it as it's a hypothetical situation but I'd feel comfortable in saying the AFL would have gotten the majority of that same content and advertising.

The thing is - there's no guarantee Foxfooty will last. Once they get their subscriber numbers they need to merge the 7 ads with their own ads rather than locking them up one channel.

I strongly doubt a dedicated AFL or NRL channel will exist in 2019. You'll get the same material, it will just be spread out amongst Foxtel's fully owned and sold ads.

RLNY

Juniors
And given that FoxFooty was a negotiating ploy on the part of Foxtel to get the AFL to force 7 to simulcast, I do not think the NRL will get its own dedicated channel on Fox Sports. I think 2 of the FTA channels are willing to simulcast already, and if Fox has to get 7 to simulcast, Fox really messed up on its gameplan.

docbrown

Coach
And given that FoxFooty was a negotiating ploy on the part of Foxtel to get the AFL to force 7 to simulcast, I do not think the NRL will get its own dedicated channel on Fox Sports. I think 2 of the FTA channels are willing to simulcast already, and if Fox has to get 7 to simulcast, Fox really messed up on its gameplan.

In this case it looks like Fox are using the same ploy up front.

Whether or not the NRL & LEK fall for it remains to be seen. The things I'm talking about are well known amongst the parties involved so it's more a case of the dick measuring contest EITR mentioned overwhelms real world tangible benefits.

BTW Doc, thanks for keeping us all the loop regarding the Broadcast rights process. I much prefer reading your thoughts on the matter, as opposed to some hack journalist pushing an agenda.

Perth Red

Post Whore
HD
FTA nationally
Fixed schedule
Expansion
are non cash issues that should be in the rights imo

Last edited:
HD
FTA nationally
Fixed schedule
Expansion
are non cash issues that should be in the rights imo

This isn't as big a deal for me, compared to others on this forum. I'd settle for 10 week rolling schedule (much as it is now), just so long as each club got a guaranteed set number of games on FTA. The current situation where clubs like Canberra and the Sharks get little or no FTA coverage is unsatisfactory. Then again, if the number of FTA games is increased to 4, then this will partially address the issue as a matter of course.

BigRedV

Juniors
probably been mentioned but cbf reading a billion pages. Was disgusted to hear rabs on weekend radio promoting neins idea that stopping the game when they see fit for adds was no big deal. "It just means that instead of seeing pictures of the crowd, you get adds. It will make NO difference to the game or spectators at all" The senile old prick needs to be taken to pasture quick. Can't stand him and the rest of the nein team. If they're not talking about blowing each other it's about how awesome gambling is. So please add NO RABS to your list Perth Red

docbrown

Coach
Now there's mental picture I could have done without. :eek:

Are we likely to learn of any deal developments this week?

NRL will talk to 10 & 7 mid week about what 9 & Fox have offered to revise their counter bids as required.

docbrown

Coach
if Fox got all 8 games simulcast then they wouldn't need a choice

that's one thing that works in FTA's favour when there is not a fixed schedule for the season. they could chose 1, 2 and 3 instead of 1, 2 and 5 which is how it currently works http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=3613222#post3613222

In my opinion 10 & Foxtel are the best.

If you cover every game across both, there's no need to shift days. At worst you might see a game shifting from 5:30pm on a Saturday to 7:30pm etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.