What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/05/16/nrl-tv-deal-who-do-you-believe-news-ltd-or-fairfax/

I like how they state bluntly how propaganda-like, agenda driven, and factually incorrect the News Ltd (Paul Kent) article was lol

There was something very agenda driven about that paul kent article.

An excellent article by that roar fella, exposing the kent article for what it was.

Kent was decent once upon a time, but he's now a mere puppet for hos employers.

He lost me a while ago.

Last edited:

taste2taste

Juniors
'What’s positive for the NRL is there are a few ways that the NRL could improve its ad revenue. The NRL may allow broadcasters to install more ads in existing stoppages of play, and increase the half time break from 12 to 14 minutes'

I feel the NRL is selling itself WAAaaaay short in this area, theres at least 12-15minutes more commercials that could be installed during play.
I’ve noticed that its currently only 3 minutes.
Ratings are at their highest during play, they climb dramatically at kick off and take a huge dive at fulltime, 10 more minutes of commercials during prime ratings would surely add a few more 100 million.

taste2taste

Juniors
you're still posting that bullshit

to be clear, im talking about commercials 'in-game'..as in when the games being played.

Ch 9 show less than 3 mins during the game but if it could be bumped up to 12-15 that could add a few extra zeros to the FTA deal.

taste2taste

Juniors
sure they do

Everyone’s so mean to me on these boards :(

Gruen Transfer talked about this,

Ch9 sell 6 advertising blocks per game.

The majority of breaks happen after a try and before the conversion where there’s enough time to run a 15-30 second commercial.

6 breaks x 30 sec ad = 3minutes of commercials.

Anyway, the point im unsuccessfully trying to make is there are a lot of natural breaks in an average NRL game that could be used to insert a commercial.

More commercials = more $ for the NRL’s TV deal.

taste2taste

Juniors
Why would Nein sell only six ad slots then? I doubt there's many games where they have only six ad breaks.

Good question.

I dont know if 9 are only allowed to sell 6 breaks during live play or if they choose to show 6.

Either way the NRL should be pushing/allowing for more breaks if it means more $$$

Patorick

Staff member
Everyone’s so mean to me on these boards :(

Gruen Transfer talked about this,

Ch9 sell 6 advertising blocks per game.

The majority of breaks happen after a try and before the conversion where there’s enough time to run a 15-30 second commercial.

6 breaks x 30 sec ad = 3minutes of commercials.

Anyway, the point im unsuccessfully trying to make is there are a lot of natural breaks in an average NRL game that could be used to insert a commercial.

More commercials = more $ for the NRL’s TV deal.
If you can't trust Will Anderson...

Edwahu

Bench
The late friday game has about 60 ads during play. Its unwatchable. Dont forget any slot nine sells is usually padded with two of its own ads at the start and finish as well.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It seems to me that it isn't the amount of advertising that is really successful in Rugby League broadcasts. Moreso the ability to launch other programming from the RL platform and the advertising that comes with that is the real money-making opportunity.

Talking about the amount of minutes in a game seems a weak, ill-informed argument to me.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
I think when it's all said and done. Nine and Fox will have the rights to league next year. It's simply to valuable for them to lose. If they do than ARLC will have done an incredible deal, that will be happy days. I think we will see a different format than we currently have. The ace up the NRL sleeve is that the AFL has no more rabbits to pull out of it's hat. What you see is what you get pretty much. With the NRL, with expanding memberships, introduction of a second brisbane team(how the hell the broncos have had that market to themselves for so long, is just incredible. That in itself will make the brisbane market so much more valuable) and most likely Perth. Will clearly increase the value of the product. I personally believe they can make Australia Versus NZ more valuable than SOO. I would also hope a second NZ team is not too far down the track

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I think when it's all said and done. Nine and Fox will have the rights to league next year. It's simply to valuable for them to lose. If they do than ARLC will have done an incredible deal, that will be happy days. I think we will see a different format than we currently have. The ace up the NRL sleeve is that the AFL has no more rabbits to pull out of it's hat. What you see is what you get pretty much. With the NRL, with expanding memberships, introduction of a second brisbane team(how the hell the broncos have had that market to themselves for so long, is just incredible. That in itself will make the brisbane market so much more valuable) and most likely Perth. Will clearly increase the value of the product. I personally believe they can make Australia Versus NZ more valuable than SOO. I would also hope a second NZ team is not too far down the track

Good post.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
It seems to me that it isn't the amount of advertising that is really successful in Rugby League broadcasts. Moreso the ability to launch other programming from the RL platform and the advertising that comes with that is the real money-making opportunity.

Talking about the amount of minutes in a game seems a weak, ill-informed argument to me.
Nope, in-game advertising is actually critically important to us.

In the AFL deal, 7 dont make any real money off the direct advertising (well not in the first couple of years of the deal anyway), but thats because pretty much every cent goes to the AFL. They HAVE to make money off the halo or they make nothing.

This is exactly the structure we are after. We want to grow and eat whats on the table, and we want the broadcaster to get the scraps that fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.